Home

TheSinner.net

New Hall - Ask Away

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

New Hall - Ask Away

Postby alastair05 on Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:40 pm

Hi there,

I'm going to be in New Hall next year and the Computer Convenor on the committee. I was there last year and am going to be in 2nd year - so I thought I'd post here to see if any Freshers had any questions about the hall, or other uni stuff? I can tell you about 1st year Maths and Comp Sci too :)

Alastair
alastair05

Trinity

Postby Guest on Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:31 pm

Thanks for offering to help Alastair. Is there anything you think new people should know about the hall that we won't learn from the brochures? What was your experience like there?

Quoting alastair05 from 21:40, 3rd Jul 2006
Hi there,

I'm going to be in New Hall next year and the Computer Convenor on the committee. I was there last year and am going to be in 2nd year - so I thought I'd post here to see if any Freshers had any questions about the hall, or other uni stuff? I can tell you about 1st year Maths and Comp Sci too :)

Alastair

Re:

Postby harmless loony on Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:46 pm

Hello unreg user,

As the former Ambassador, Charities Convenor, general dogsbody for New Hall and also a resident for 4 years the biggest piece of advice I can give you is to NOT stay in your room and wait for people to come and find you.

A few people each year complain that they are lonely in New Hall but that is always due to the fact that they haven't attended any of the freshers week events laid on by the committee (all free for residents!!) nor have they knocked on their neighbour's doors and introduced themselves.

Feel free to stick a note in your kitchen introducing yourself and chat to everyone!

When you first arrive you will be greeted by a member of the Resident Assistant (RA) team and a committee member - try and remember their names and you will already know 2 people before you even get to your room! The committee this year are a lovely bunch of people and will usually be found in the common room. Also if you have any ideas on how to improve the events or have suggestions for new events - the committee will always be willing to listen.

You can email the committee in advance on nhcom@st-andrews.ac.uk

Also if you like the idea of joining the committee and having a say on how the budget is spent on events in hall (and the ball) then join the committee in October (details of elections will be emailed to all residents!)

I had four fantastic years in New Hall - I hope you have a fab time! :)
harmless loony

Re:

Postby Pan on Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:54 pm

^ yeah I agree, you need to get involved!

Also, I found just propping my door open in the first few days helped immensely- people walk by and say hi, and you can invite them in for a chat, or even just learn their names!

[hr]

"Last time you gave me a pie, I cut into it, and birds flew out of it, hitting me in the face and chin. I was confused. It was a trick pie"
Pan

Refrigerators

Postby Frank on Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:38 am

I just found out that I will be in New Hall next year.

Since we are not allowed to have refrigerators in our room, what is the shared kitchen fridge arrangement?
Frank

Re:

Postby harmless loony on Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:50 pm

Frank,

There is a difference depending on whether you are catered or self catered.

A catered kitchen has a small fridge to share between 12 of you because technically you only need it to store food for Saturday and Sunday evenings (and most people tend to get take aways anyhow).

A self catered kitchen has 2 Bosch Exxcel Fridge Freezers to share between 12. In the fridge you have a shelf each and the freezers you have 2 people sharing each compartment. However, once you get to know your corridor mates well - you'll probably end up storing your food wherever you find space.

In the self catered kitchen there is plenty of space for food - just be sensible and dont buy more then you actually need! If everyone is considerate (which they usually are) then you won't have a problem with fridge space.

Catered or self catered make sure you label your food - especially milk bottles and more importantly make sure you always keep your kitchen door locked when you're not in there - that'll stop the thieving little imps that sometimes frequent New Hall.
harmless loony

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:43 pm

More to the point, all First Years moving into New Hall this year will be the first ones in half a decade not to enjoy the wonder that is the harmless loony.

Be sad people, be very sad.

More to the point, if you spend most of your life hanging out in the Coffee shop and the foyer, you'll be a much happier bunny than if you spend it in your room. Of course if we're advising places to hang out may I reccommend the Vic?

[hr]

http://www.race2paris.co.uk
You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby harmless loony on Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:10 pm

hahahahh BA - missing me already I see? Never fear - you shall cope - I've spent a year gearing you up for my graduation!

Oh and newbies - look out for Bill the porter in New Hall - he is a lovely guy (a little bit mad but still lovely!) He cried the day I moved out - bless him!
harmless loony

Re:

Postby Guest on Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:41 pm

The managerial staff hate students, and especially catered students. Their nazi-like enforcement of petty regulations is as irritating as the z-grade meat they serve up.
I don't mean to put people off the catered path, in fact the food is often quite good, and beyond what i could cook myself, but that women who supervises the dinners will ruthlessly crush you if you even accidentally do something "wrong".

Apart from that it's pretty good. Having an ensuite bathroom is great, as is the double bed. Every room has internet access and all in all its pretty cushy.

Re:

Postby harmless loony on Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:13 pm

I don't know much about what happens when catered but yes the managerial staff are tough if you step out of line. However I can only talk from a self catered point of view so....

For a self catered student the only time you really come across them is the kitchen inspection once a week - but then again it's not much to ask to have a clean kitchen and ultimately it is for your benefit!

Not all managerial staff are scary - if you make an effort to smile at them or ask them how they're doing - they are so much nicer for it. Sometimes I do feel sorry for them because they are being handed down daft and draconian measures from Resbus and the managers then bear the brunt of it when they try to implement it.

Keep on the right side of them (and your cleaner) and you won't have a prob in hall!
harmless loony

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:44 pm

-The lift only goes down. If you want to get your bags to the fourth floor you have to climb the stairs and then get the lift down to the first floor and then back up. This is known as 'The Upturned Monkey Effect'.

-The cleaning staff have the right to search you and your belongings. Even in your sleep.

-You don't actually have to buy a TV licence. I didn't.

Two of these facts aren't true.

[hr]

You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby harmless loony on Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:08 pm

Slight correction - you are supposed to buy a TV licence but no one does........We New Hallians (hellians?) are not exempt from buying TV licences.
harmless loony

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:31 pm

Ever get the impression that threads are just inhabited by your good self and my mischievous self?

[hr]

Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby harmless loony on Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:14 pm

hahahahh no no not at all.......:p

It's the only legitimate way to keep bumping up the thread.........altho I think we have frightened off all the newbies.....either that or our tours were so good that no one feels any need to ask any questions......
harmless loony

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:58 pm

Just thought I'd bump this thread with...

NEW HALL RULES. (Andrew Melville sucks.)

[hr]

Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby Malcolm on Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:53 pm

Quoting Bizarre Atheist from 13:58, 3rd Aug 2006

[hr]

They both suck. Regs FTW!1

[hr]

" ... No-one knows what it's like, to be the bad man, to be the sad man, Behind Blue Eyes ... "
Malcolm

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:57 pm

Quoting Malcolm from 20:53, 3rd Aug 2006

[hr]

[hr]

" ... No-one knows what it's like, to be the bad man, to be the sad man, Behind Blue Eyes ... "

Haha! You're wrong! I bet you feel silly now.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2204763785
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby Malcolm on Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:11 pm

Quoting Bizarre Atheist from 18:57, 4th Aug 2006
Quoting Malcolm from 20:53, 3rd Aug 2006

[hr]

[hr]

Haha! You're wrong! I bet you feel silly now.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2204763785

Yeah, I probably am, but spending your first year in New Hall makes a cardboard box behind the KFB seem like a dream come true. Far more sociable and enjoyable, I'll bet.

I'll give Regs a shot. I'm damn well going to make the most of it too.

[hr]

Malcolm

Re:

Postby Guest on Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:39 am

Does anyone know where room 2003 is?

Re:

Postby harmless loony on Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:58 pm

2nd floor - first corridor (from the central lift) on the right hand side of the building.
harmless loony

Next

Return to New Students! First Years!