Home

TheSinner.net

John Burnet - Ask Away

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

John Burnet - Ask Away

Postby Big X on Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:54 am

a hardened ex-John Burnet'r ready to take your questions about one of the smaller (and used to be more interesting) halls

[hr]

"Never apologise for showing feeling, in doing so you apologise for truth" Disraeli
"Never apologise for showing feeling, in doing so you apologise for truth" Disraeli
Big X

Re:

Postby x on Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:38 am

Hi,

Should be staying in this hall next year, just wondering what its like. How come it used to be more interesting, has it become worse over the years for some reason?
x

Re:

Postby Big X on Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:56 pm

it used to be more interesting becuase of the legends who used to live there, you will here tales of gregor 'on fire' munro, chris 'fuckit fuckit' applin, tom 'scooter' greaves and alex 'pole' chruscikowski. they used to run that joint, but now its mainly full of girls....but a few legends like mike 'megabus' ford remain.....

[hr]

Big X

Re:

Postby theyahyahyahs on Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:59 pm

Quoting Big X from 23:56, 9th Jul 2006
it used to be more interesting becuase of the legends who used to live there, you will here tales of gregor 'on fire' munro, chris 'fuckit fuckit' applin, tom 'scooter' greaves and alex 'pole' chruscikowski. they used to run that joint, but now its mainly full of girls....but a few legends like mike 'megabus' ford remain.....

[hr]

Yeah those guys were off the hook!
theyahyahyahs

Re:

Postby Marie55 on Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:26 pm

'Mainly full of girls'- u make it sound like an insult!
Anyway, I lived in JBH for the last 2 years and however it's changed I'm still really happy I ended up there. Being catered, we all have meals together and front hall is the main social gathering place. There are lots of parties and pub crawls and I'm sure Mike and Carolyn will continue that next year. It can be a bit cliquey but everybody (except those who choose to keep to themselves) makes friends.
Oh yeah, and the pool and table tennis in the west lounge are fun too...hours of time to be wasted there when you should be studying. :-)
Marie55

Re:

Postby Guest on Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:36 am

I heard that there might be a room going in the Sweetie Shop or the Cottage bathroom.

Shotgun.

Re:

Postby steerpike on Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:50 pm

Quoting Big X from 23:56, 9th Jul 2006

[hr]

hm... just trying to work out who you are, but that can wait. First up, i've been in John Burnet a long time, but now i've left it for good I have a different perspective on the place.

The best part about John Burnet is the fact that when the shit hits the fan in your life, people there will help you. You never seriously know who your friends are until that moment, and you'd be surprised when you find yourself with people rallying round to help you after you've just been flung out of hall/ been dumped/ caught something nasty/ having a breakdown due to the above. I cannot over-exagerate the high level of camaraderie in that hall, but then again this wonderful little perk of the Atholl does tend to fluctuate from year to year.

However here's a shortened version of what can drive any sane minded person up the wall about John Burnet:

- You lose your privacy. Not just if you're sharing a room, but in general. The open speculations about your love/social/mental life by wagging tongues in front hall will persevere until you're lucky enough to get a flat out of hall. (Even then you might not be safe!)

- The idolatry of previous John Burneters. (Big X, your post pretty much smacks of this.) Living in the shadow of someone else's heyday of depravity has parallels to having a ridiculously successful older sibling whom you'll never be able to out-do, and puts a fair load of expectation on the first years.

- The catch 22 situation of the fuckwitt award. The award is given out once a week to the person who's done the most stupid thing that week. It's a quirky form of recognition given out to someone for something abnormally depraved or debauched, and a good excuse for dinnertime conversation, as that's when the award is given out. But i also worked out in my 2nd year at JBH that it only goes out to people who are well known and established well enough in the hall. So basically, you cant be recognised until you're considered a legend, but you cant be a legend until you've been awarded recognition.

- Other: bad lighting. poor food. fire alarms at anti-social hours.

Sorry if i've gone and burst a bubble somewhere, but some tabboos need to come down. Overall it's safe for human habitation. Unlike Mcintosh Hall, the water runs clear in JBH and people survive when they fall out of windows :P

edited for spelling and the like.

[hr]

Nothing is easier than to condemn the evildoer, nothing is harder than to understand him.

F.Dostoevsky
steerpike

Re:

Postby CheeseDaddy on Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:14 am

An interesting debate.....
CheeseDaddy

Re:

Postby Irish Frank on Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:22 pm

what time does jbh open on the 16th?
Irish Frank

Re:

Postby Chaos on Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:48 am