Home

TheSinner.net

McIntosh- tell away

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

McIntosh- tell away

Postby Jaspar on Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:36 am

I couldn't find an "ask away" thread, so I made one for people who've lived in Chattan and have pearls of wisdom to give to an almost first year student.
Jaspar

Re:

Postby Telinar on Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:50 pm

It's awesome. I didn't actually live there last year but most of my friends did and I spent a lot of time there. Also, I'm living there this year. In comparison with the hall I lived in last year, Regs, it seemed to have a better atmosphere and more hall events. It also has a good mix of people in it, so you'll probably end up meeting someone similar to it. I'm going to assume you've been put in McIntosh as well Jaspar?

[hr]

http://telinar-beln.deviantart.com or http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37105240
Telinar

Re:

Postby pea on Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:07 pm

Quoting Telinar from 22:50, 6th Jul 2006
It's awesome. I didn't actually live there last year but most of my friends did and I spent a lot of time there. Also, I'm living there this year. In comparison with the hall I lived in last year, Regs, it seemed to have a better atmosphere and more hall events. It also has a good mix of people in it, so you'll probably end up meeting someone similar to it. I'm going to assume you've been put in McIntosh as well Jaspar?

Captain Obvious strikes again Steve ;o)

Anyway, I've lived in Chattan for 2 of my 3 St Andrean years so far, and am returning for my 4th year as I love it so much.
It's a very sociable hall, and never feels like it has the 240 people who live there. Food is generally good, provided you're not too picky, and even if you are, salads and sandwiches are always available.
The rooms are pretty good. Every room is individual, which does mean they vary from tiny to massive, but not many people spend long enough in their room to care.
We have a common room, with a free pool table, some shiny leather couches and other random chairs. This is where most hall events take place, and you'll be bound to find someone lurking there at all hours.
We also have 2 tv rooms, one with a digibox, and 2 study rooms. There are 2 laundries, which are fairly cheap but only on between 7am to 10pm.
Internet access and a phone are provided in every room, as are your desk, lamp, furniture etc.

Social events are always good in hall, and vary from 3-legged pub crawls to film nights, themed parties, ceidlihs, charity calendars, bonfires, bbq's etc etc. The hall committee for the coming year are awesome and reliable and will get things done. The secretary is especially awesome... *cough cough*

If you have anymore questions, just ask and there will be plenty people to answer :D

[hr]

I'm a little pea, I love the sky and the trees...
[img]http://imagegen.last.fm/ElegantPink/recenttracks/GeoRho.gif[/img]

pea

Re:

Postby Thalia on Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:08 pm

I'm in McIntosh just now, hidden away on E floor since i'm just a lowly staff member ;-)

It's a nice hall - some of the rooms are really big and nice, others can be small, it's just the luck of the draw. The views out onto the beach from A and B floor are amazing but you won't see much of anything if they put you on E floor ;-)

Oh, and all those events in the common room - i feel sorry for the poor bugger put in my room cos i can hear it when people move around up there, and the piano is even worse :-P

[hr]

The shadow proves the sunshine...
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby lts2 on Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:36 pm

We all love McIntosh. As long as you don't want shiney double beds and en suite bathrooms, then McIntosh has it all.
lts2

Re:

Postby pea on Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:46 pm

Quoting Thalia from 23:08, 6th Jul 2006
The views out onto the beach from A and B floor are amazing but you won't see much of anything if they put you on E floor ;-)

Haha tell me about it, that's why I'm moving up to A floor next year!

[hr]

pea

Re:

Postby Jaspar on Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:38 am

I like what I'm hearing! I'll be living in Chattan when I start in September, though I haven't heard what floor or anything like that. Free pool tables are always nice, as are shiny leather sofas!

What excites me most is the social atmosphere that people have written about. I can't wait, only 9 more weeks!
Jaspar

Re:

Postby Sarah on Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:38 am

I just found out today that I'm going to be in Chattan and all the enthusiastic people on here are leading me to believe that this is a good thing, yay. I'm in room xxx, I think, and I just wondered if anyone on here had ever inhabited this room or knows what its like?
Sarah

Re:

Postby October on Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:42 pm

Yo Sarah.
Being a boy, and haveing spent my time under the piano on E floor, I'm sorry to say I didn't spent much time on C floor.
So I'm not really sure were that room is.
C floor is an all girls floor, and as you might of guessed the "a" after your room number means your shareing room.
C floor seems nice tho.

Yo Jaspar
The free pool table is rather nice, if you can get on it. Look out for Wally he LOVES to play pool. And as for the shiny leather sofas, they'll only stay nice if everyone in hall takes care and looks after them.
I really like them and entend to enjoy sitting on them for many a time, heres hopeing everyone thinks likewise.

And Thalia, what room you in right now anyway?

[hr]

I'm Telling you.
It was the Ninja Robot Monkeys that did it.
Does no-one feel that giving geeks a justification such as Article 31 a bad move? - Frank
October

Re:

Postby Thalia on Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:38 pm

I'm in E5 :-)

[hr]

...And I am a Sinner Goddess.
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby October on Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:49 pm

err...
wasn't that Will's room?
won't want to be in there.
Tho it is a fair sized room, I think.

I was in E16 which is a shared room, just across the hall, hope i didn't leave anything in it.

[hr]

I'm Telling you.
It was the Ninja Robot Monkeys that did it.
Does no-one feel that giving geeks a justification such as Article 31 a bad move? - Frank
October

Re:

Postby Thalia on Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:54 pm

I don't wanna know why i wouldn't wanna be in here :-P

If you did leave anything, i'll have been thrown out ages ago ;-)
But only the single rooms on E floor are being used just now anyway.

[hr]

...And I am a Sinner Goddess.
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby Jono on Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:11 am

The most important thing I've learned is not to kick down doors in a drunken rage.... it's expensive as hell!

The poor bastard who's getting E5 next year Is Malcom Macyver. Studies Physics. Nice enough guy. Know him through OTC. I'm sure all the semen stains will have been cleaned up before he moves in though.

I was in E14, which mean I hate the pool table with a passion! Nothing paticularly interesting happened in there last year, though I'm told it was Pot-central the year before.

not much good with advice. If you're on C floor don't make a habbit of using the study room as a short-cut because its annoying. I can usually be found either studying like hell, drinking like hell, or a transitory period between the two.

I'll lok forward to seeing you all in McIntosh next year!

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37105376
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby pea on Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:47 pm

Yeah, you guys will want to avoid Jon.

[hr]

pea

Re:

Postby someone on Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:38 pm

Quoting Sarah from 16:40, 7th Jul 2006
I just found out today that I'm going to be in Chattan and all the enthusiastic people on here are leading me to believe that this is a good thing, yay. I'm in room C24a, I think, and I just wondered if anyone on here had ever inhabited this room or knows what its like?

I knew someone who lived there. It is right at the far end of C floor and probably the biggest twin room. you'll have plenty of floor space.
someone

Re:

Postby lts2 on Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:15 pm

C24 is nice :D You did well!

I'm in A28 next year, top floor! Undoubtedly meet you soon ^_^

Leila
lts2

Re:

Postby Jono on Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:13 pm

Quoting pea from 14:47, 10th Jul 2006
Yeah, you guys will want to avoid Jon.

[hr]

What a hurtful thing to say!

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37105376
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby Mattina on Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:43 pm

I'm in A1a. So I gather it's a shared room on the ground floor; am I right?
Mattina

Re:

Postby mishy on Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:43 pm

i'm in A14 :)
mishy

Re:

Postby laura on Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:43 pm

I've got A1a. Shared on the top floor, I guess.
laura

Next

Return to New Students! First Years!