Home

TheSinner.net

St Salvators - Ask Away

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

St Salvators - Ask Away

Postby kitty on Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:42 pm

As there are threads for some of the other halls, but not really for sallies I thought I would give you guys a chance to ask whatever you like about it. I lived there last year and will be living there again next year, so I should be able to answer most of your questions.
kitty

Re:

Postby Guest on Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:42 am

Hey,
I'm going to be living there next year. A few people have said Sallies is cliquey. Any thoughts on that? I'm really excited, other than that...its so beautiful in pictures!
Thanks for any answer you can give me:)

Re:

Postby hmmmhaveabanana on Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:22 pm

Quoting from 23:16, 17th Jul 2006
Hey,
I'm going to be living there next year. A few people have said Sallies is cliquey. Any thoughts on that? I'm really excited, other than that...its so beautiful in pictures!

Everyone seems to find their group of maybe 7-10 friends that they spend most of their time with, but that doesn't mean that you don't talk to people in other groups. Everyone's really friendly and this year I have made some of the best friends that I could ever possibly make. They are amazing! You will have a great time. I'll be there again next year, so see you around. What room are you in?
hmmmhaveabanana

Re:

Postby kitty on Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:47 pm

I would agree with hmmmhaveabanana. Most people have a group of friends that they tend to hang out with, but that doesn't mean that you can't hang out with other people and most people in hall are quite friendly.
kitty

Re:

Postby bluebells on Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:40 pm

Oh i am so jealous someone has already found out they are living in Sallies! I am hoping i will be placed in this hall. I absolutly love all of the people i met from Sallies and thought the rooms were awesome. Blast i wish i knew where i would be living next year!
bluebells

Re:

Postby kitty on Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:23 am

Oh, and if any of you took the tour of sallies and saw a girl with short brown hair walk by it was probably me as they always take the tours into the hallway right by my room.
kitty

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:33 am

Hey i was in sallies in first year, i actually asked to be put there when i got my acceptance form cos it looked like the most comfortable of halls, which depending on your room mine was. If youre sharing ask for a9 b9 or c9 alternatively a11 b11 c11, or a30, b30 and c30. theyre the huge corner rooms, c30 overlooks the sea. Sallies is really comfortable and my closest friends are the ones i made there in first year but apart from that sallies is reaaaaally gay. The warden is a knob and so are his subwardens, and i felt like there was sometimes a more controlling atmosphere than boarding school! ie, theyre really anal about stuff like having friends/ girls/ girlfriends stay over, mine came up to visit from london and i had to regularly sneak her in to avoid paying the £15 pound "bed and breakfast" rate wich is f*cking ridiculous, includes a make up bed for your boy/girlfriend if you believe that. most other halls simply have a book at the entrance for you to sign your guest in free of charge, simply a security measure. At the end of the day depends what kinda person you are, if youre looking to go mad in your first year sallies is not the best place to be, but if youre quiet etc its fine. In hindsight although i dont regret being there cos of the friends i made, i would rather have been in a more student-y hall like regs, macintosh or hamilton, sallies has a very snob/ exclusive feel to it.

Quoting from 23:16, 17th Jul 2006
Hey,

Re:

Postby Fiona on Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:28 am

Do a lot of "yahs" stay in St Salvators ? That's the only thing i'm worried about because i'm really not a posh person. I mean i only own one fancy dress and am a bit of a skank.
Fiona

Re:

Postby hmmmhaveabanana on Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:39 pm

There are way more normal people than Yahs, and in fact some of the Yahs can actually be quite ok if you take the chance to get to know them.
hmmmhaveabanana

Re:

Postby kitty on Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:33 am

There's generally a group of yah's but they're not too bad and it's not really the majority. As to unregistered user's comment, I didn't find having my boyfriend or girlfriends stay over hard at all, just take them to your room and don't tell the porter anything about it. Also I didn't think the warden and subwardens were bad, I just didn't interact with them very much. I agree that there are some cool people in sallies and overall I've enjoyed my experience there and will be back next year.
kitty

Re:

Postby Gealle on Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:03 pm

I won't make any huge post here about Sallies or such, but as an ex-resident and ball convener/ITS rep for the hall, if anyone has any questions/queries on the place, feel free to email me

mail@andyconnell.co.uk

[hr]

Funky flunky munky...
So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

"I make sure the shit stays off the fan."
Gealle

Re:

Postby Guest on Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:16 pm

Hi,
I'm wondering how you know if you have a triple...does Sallies have any triples? Just curious...I'm in A21, if that helps.
Thanks!

Re:

Postby hmmmhaveabanana on Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:40 am

There are no triples (unless they have too many people like they did a few years ago). A21 is on the first floor with a view out onto the Principals Lawn.
hmmmhaveabanana

Re:

Postby kitty on Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:21 am

since you don't have an additional letter (a or b) I think you're probably in a single. If you were in a double it would be A21a or A21b.
kitty

Re:

Postby Guest on Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:21 pm

hey I'll be living in B26a, any info on that room?

Re:

Postby kb228 on Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:01 am

I had a friend who lived in A26 (right below you and pretty much the same size), it was pretty small, bearable if you have a good roommate torture if you don't.
kb228

Re:

Postby Sketch Artist on Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:56 am

A21 is a double, but be happy, because it's one of the big rooms with the bay windows. A17 & A25 are the same type of room. Great views of the lawn and the front door... so you can see who comes and goes, which can be distracting sometimes, helpful other times.

People seem to have mixed views of Sallies... true, the community there leaves much to be desired, but you definitely will find your own group of friends. Pros are the location (proximity to the centre of town, the library, & the sea, esp. the Castle sands), and I guess the general look & layout of the hall itself. The lawn is also nice in the spring for frisbee, ball games, & outdoor studying. The warden will probably give some sort of long-winded, pseudo-metaphorical speech at the outset (tragedy of the commons, anyone?), warning kids not to go on the lawn, but by the time spring rolls around no one cares.

So I guess the moral of the story is, enjoy your time at Sallies. It has its high points and low points as any hall does, but odds are, you'll have a good time. Besides, it's supposedly the one everyone wants to get into, so that must count for something...
Sketch Artist

Re:

Postby Guest on Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:56 pm

Thank you all so much for the info! I'm very excited...

Quoting Sketch Artist from 02:56, 22nd Aug 2006
A21 is a double, but be happy, because it's one of the big rooms with the bay windows. A17 & A25 are the same type of room. Great views of the lawn and the front door... so you can see who comes and goes, which can be distracting sometimes, helpful other times.

People seem to have mixed views of Sallies... true, the community there leaves much to be desired, but you definitely will find your own group of friends. Pros are the location (proximity to the centre of town, the library, & the sea, esp. the Castle sands), and I guess the general look & layout of the hall itself. The lawn is also nice in the spring for frisbee, ball games, & outdoor studying. The warden will probably give some sort of long-winded, pseudo-metaphorical speech at the outset (tragedy of the commons, anyone?), warning kids not to go on the lawn, but by the time spring rolls around no one cares.

So I guess the moral of the story is, enjoy your time at Sallies. It has its high points and low points as any hall does, but odds are, you'll have a good time. Besides, it's supposedly the one everyone wants to get into, so that must count for something...

Re:

Postby Sketch Artist on Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:56 am

oops, I forgot which way the numbers went... another bay window room is actually A15 (not A17). And of course the corresponding B-floor numbers...

one more thing about Sallies - try not to be in D Block, if you can help it :D
Sketch Artist

Re:

Postby incognito :) on Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:07 am

How about A30? What kind of room is it?
incognito :)

Next

Return to New Students! First Years!