Home

TheSinner.net

prospective student

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

prospective student

Postby Ondee on Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:03 pm

Recntly got accepted 4 st andrews 4 international relations nd french. was wondering wat these subjects r lyk at st andy's and also wether i wud b betr going 2 edinburgh because it wud b more banter thn boring old st andrews. is evry1 there english and public school educated? Do any of u wish ud gone sumwhere else?

hope yoos can fill me in
Ondee

Re:

Postby John on Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:05 pm

I currently study IR with modern history and not only do I love the subject but the town is amazing!!! As someone from edinbugh i can appreciate how amazing edinburgh is, but st andrews is also superb. Personally I prefer st andrews because the banter here is superb and it is nice to see familiar faces in the most bizarre places. I would stick with st andrews - you are on to a winner!!!
John

Re:

Postby seren on Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:05 pm

Hey. congrats on being accepted! em, i cant say i know much about IR but i do study french and its really good..good department, good tutors, interesting work.it is quite hard work but no more so than any other subject. it depends what kinda thing you're into..edinburghs better for nights out etc but here is good cos everyone knows each other really..and we're not far from dundee to go out or go shopping etc. yeah, there are a lot of more educated people who can seem quite pretentious at times here but its so easy to make friends here that no one really cares about each others backgrounds..thats why its quite nice I guess, cause everyone can mix with each other so easily. i def made the right choice coming here. what kind of things r u into? what do you reckon edinburgh could offer over st andrews?
Quoting Ondee from 21:32, 12th Feb 2007
Recntly got accepted 4 st andrews 4 international relations nd french. was wondering wat these subjects r lyk at st andy's and also wether i wud b betr going 2 edinburgh because it wud b more banter thn boring old st andrews. is evry1 there english and public school educated? Do any of u wish ud gone sumwhere else?

hope yoos can fill me in

seren

Re:

Postby Griggsy on Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:22 pm

IR is awesome here, but you'll have to spell properly if you want a degree

[hr]

'I run wild in the shadowy jungle of erotic adventures.'
'I run wild in the shadowy jungle of erotic adventures.'
Griggsy

Re:

Postby AuZ on Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:20 pm

St Andrews wins over Edinburgh by far for me.
Being french myself, i came from a Northern Irish school and was scared of exactly the same thing as you are.
St Andrews town is actually amazing, don't think i got bored once really !!
AuZ

Re:

Postby kats on Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:42 pm

I loved my four years at St Andrews - believe me there is plenty of banter going around - you will never get bored!! I studied french for my first year and then dropped it a.) because I am Swiss and speak french fluently and found the class boring (only took it to get easy grades whilst I concentrated on my honour modules) and b.) found their way of teaching absolutely absurd - you write you essays on french books IN ENGLISH!!!and maybe I have just been spoiled my whole life always having teachers from the country of the language I was studying, but apart from the oral class teachers, every other professor is british (albeit speak excellent french - but are still british so have an accent). Also found the way in which the translations were graded quite ridiculous. But then i am biased to the geography department which is the best department st andrews has!!!!
kats

Re:

Postby Lau on Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:25 pm

Not everyone is English, in fact far from it...we have people here from just about every country you can imagine. A lot of people have been to public or private schools, but there's a hell of a lot of us who are from state schools (and proud of it!)

I am so glad I picked St Andrews, it's great. It is small, and can get a tad claustrophobic, but at the same time it's great walking down the street and seeing people you know all the time...it's really friendly. If you want to be able to blend into the crowd, then I'd pick Edinburgh, but for a unique uni experience, come here!

Good Luck!

is evry1 there english and public school educated? Do any of u wish ud gone sumwhere else?

hope yoos can fill me in
Lau

Re:

Postby beeny on Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:00 pm

hope yoos can fill me in

OK, 'yoos' is not a word and if it were, it would probably be spelt with a 'u' like 'you'.

That's just one of the many appalling grammatical and spelling mistakes you have made in your little comment.

My advice, learn to spell and talk in some kind of tongue that isn't ridiculous 'text language' before you crash into this uni.

And before any comments, I'm not public school educated or english. I just cannot stand bad English, particularly this phenomenon of deliberately misspelling EVERY word because it makes you look cool. You look like a knob and you're impressing noone. Grow up.

On a (slightly) nicer note, well done for being accepted. However, if you wrote your personal statement in this ridiculous manner, god knows how you got in.....

[/quote]

[hr]

'But what do I know? I'm a bear; I suck the heads off fish.'
'But what do I know? I'm a bear; I suck the heads off fish.'
beeny

Your acceptance

Postby Guest on Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:23 pm

St andrews is a great university, you would have a great time here. Contrary to expectations it is incredibly diverse. I do agree with the person above though with regard to your text speak spelling.

Re:

Postby Captain_Spanky on Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:08 am

hope yoos can fill me in

I take it this is what passes for a joke on the sinner these days. If however it's true the one piece of advice I'd give you is don't fuck anyone here, they all have HIV.

[hr]

Beatrice - Darling. Dearest. Dead.
Captain_Spanky

Re:

Postby angel_kohaku on Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:06 am

Quoting Captain_Spanky from 00:08, 27th Feb 2007

hope yoos can fill me in

I take it this is what passes for a joke on the sinner these days. If however it's true the one piece of advice I'd give you is don't fuck anyone here, they all have HIV.

[hr]

You would know :P

[hr]

I may be a pretty sad case but I don't write jokes in base 13
I may be a pretty sad case but I don't write jokes in base 13
angel_kohaku

Re:

Postby Garnet on Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:03 am

I've never studied French but I have heard some bad things about the department, my flatmate always has problems with them, but then I can't say personally and I don't know what it's like in Edinburgh. IR is really good, I enjoy that. St Andrews is alright, I keep changing my mind about this place.

[hr]

so alive, so full of fire and music!
I joined the sinner in 1970 :-O
Garnet

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:37 am

wether i wud b betr going 2 edinburgh because it wud b more banter thn boring old st andrews.

hope yoos can fill me in

This saddens me on many levels. Where did you get the label 'boring old st anrdews'? Who is 'yoos'? Does he work in admissions?

Thr mite b mr txt spkrs @ edi uni?

[hr]

http://www.race2paris.co.uk
http://standrews.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2204763785
You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby Ellkie on Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:39 pm

I've got a feeling all the school leavers this year are going to be talking in text speak and all look a bit scene.

I visited my old school the other week and I thought it was hilarious all the crazy hair and studded belts.

I'm just waiting for the invasion.

Saving up my beans in the cellar, setting up a rain water collection system.....no not really.

[hr]

It's all GEEK
It's all GEEK
Ellkie

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:55 pm

BEANS
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby theshadowhost on Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:07 pm

Quoting Ellkie from 12:39, 3rd Mar 2007
I've got a feeling all the school leavers this year are going to be talking in text speak and all look a bit scene.

I'll finally be able to fit in, and its the year i gradute - it sucks to be ahead of your time ;)

[hr]

theshadowhost

Return to New Students! First Years!