Home

TheSinner.net

American JYA student

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

American JYA student

Postby Ashley on Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:36 am

Hi everyone, I'm an American student who is going to be spending the 2007-2008 academic year at St Andrews and was just wondering if anyone had some tips for me about what the Uni is really like. I've seen all the brochures but wanted to know what the students, classes, parties, sports teams, and so on are really like. Also, what residence would be the best to meet people and make friends? And what do British guys think of American girls? :) I'm looking for any info at all -- so thanks!!
Ashley

Re:

Postby lauraelizabeth on Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:30 pm

if you have the money, go for DRA cause its got the best facilities and double beds, en suite, self catered etc, and you get to meet a load of people too. but its a mile and half walk into town. there are no night clubs but the bop is quite cool of a friday evening, and there are millions of sports teams for you to join..
lauraelizabeth

Re:

Postby unreg on Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:59 pm

Quoting lauraelizabeth from 17:30, 17th Mar 2007
if you have the money, go for DRA cause its got the best facilities and double beds, en suite, self catered etc, and you get to meet a load of people too.

IMO DRA is one of the most un-sociable halls - people never come out of their flats, and its in the middle of nowhere. Go for McKintosh - its in the middle of town next to the union right in the middle of everything.
unreg

Re:

Postby OhhMy on Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:50 pm

DRA is very unsociable and far out of town. If I were you I would go for one of the central halls of residence. Everyone has their own preference usually based on where they were in their first year but you will have a great time at them all. They are: St Salvators (Sallies), Makintosh (Chattan) St. Regulus (Regs) and John Burnett (JBH).

As to what British Guys think of American girls I think that depends on the guy. But they are certainly used to americans in St. Andrews.

As to sports teams, I believe there is one for almost everything you would want to do. Though our sports centre is not great though it has the usual facilities.

There are loads of clubs and societies to choose from. Just get stuck in and you will have a great time.
OhhMy

DRA is good

Postby headphoned on Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:35 pm

These people putting down DRA as unsociable probably haven't lived there. If you don't mind the price (and if you're used to American dorm prices, you probably won't), and you don't mind getting a little exercise on a night out, DRA is easily the best option. It's true that the DRA kids don't intermingle with the other halls that much, but that's because there are 1000 people in DRA and Fife Park to hang out with. There are some excellent parties in DRA, too. DRA has great facilities and it's easy to find a social life that suits you. I'll warn you, though, that in my experience DRA kiddies like to go out drinking more than other halls.
headphoned

Re:

Postby Mehmsy on Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:23 pm

DRA is pretty sociable if you make a bit of an effort. The only drawback is that it's a little far from town, but a bit of a walk never hurt anybody. Even less of a trek if your classes are in the North Haugh.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37106593
Mehmsy

Re:

Postby Guest on Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:36 pm

so is there one shower/bathroom to every appartment in DRA? or to every single room? i wasn't sure...

do you get to know the people within your appartment pretty well?

Re:

Postby starsandsparkles on Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:57 pm

Quoting from 22:16, 8th Apr 2007
so is there one shower/bathroom to every appartment in DRA? or to every single room? i wasn't sure...

do you get to know the people within your appartment pretty well?

All the rooms in DRA are ensuite so that's one bathroom per room (five per apartment).

I live in DRA at the moment and know my flatmates very well and would count them amongst my close friends. Obviously it depends on how sociable you are but I only know of a few flats where there is one 'problem' (i.e. unsociable) flatmate but the rest of them get on really well.
starsandsparkles

Re:

Postby ienji on Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:32 pm

Psh. DRA is perfectly sociable. Just make sure you get out and meet people in Freshers' Week. Admittedly, most of my friends are from FP and DRA, but I'm fine with that.

As for flatmates, it depends. I know some people who barely talk to their flatmates and others who live like siblings. It's what you make of it.

With regard to the distance, all of my classes are right on the other side of town and the walk isn't really an issue.
ienji

Re:

Postby Guest on Tue May 01, 2007 5:03 pm

There is a wet room with shower for every room in a DRA flat.
DRA is more like a mile and a half from the centre of town--I was in a taxi once when the driver measured it.

Return to New Students! First Years!