Home

TheSinner.net

liberal arts vs. university

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

liberal arts vs. university

Postby prospectiveme on Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:16 am

SO i have heard and heard and heard that in the UK going to a university is a trillion times more specialized than in the US and that you have to KNOW what you want to pursue the minute you start college and that there is no room to mess around beforehand like in the liberal arts system over here...is this true? do i have any room for DABBLING? thank you for any guidance...
prospectiveme

Re:

Postby kats on Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:20 pm

I would agree that a normal ENGLISH university is quite like this - you go in knowing exactly what you want to do. But most universities in Scotland (notablly St Andrews) tries to be different and more like the american system in that sense. First of all, you have 4 years here instead of the 3 in english university. This means that for your first year and part of your second, you can try different subjects to find you way. for example, I took French, Social Anthropology, Psychology, Economics and Geography in my first year. Decided Economics, french and SA were not for me - pursued Geography and Psychology, after my second year, I dropped psychology and pursued Geography into honours and came out the other end with an M.A in Geography :)
Quoting prospectiveme from 06:16, 16th Mar 2007
SO i have heard and heard and heard that in the UK going to a university is a trillion times more specialized than in the US and that you have to KNOW what you want to pursue the minute you start college and that there is no room to mess around beforehand like in the liberal arts system over here...is this true? do i have any room for DABBLING? thank you for any guidance...
kats

Re:

Postby househunter on Fri May 18, 2007 2:57 pm

It's actually derived from a European system. When St Andrews was founded, it wanted to use a system different to the English system. So it copied the European system.

They're are some more interesting tit bits about all this that I can't remember, one of these is the reason why St Andrews offers the M.A. alongside the B.Sc, unfortunately I cannot remember it.
househunter

Re:

Postby [James] on Sat May 19, 2007 5:09 pm

Quoting prospectiveme from 06:16, 16th Mar 2007

This is what you're looking for:
http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/admissions/ ... tructures/

There is plenty of room for "DABBLING", although I'd be worried for whatever degree you take if you can't research simple information about the University's degree structure.
[James]

Re:

Postby box_of_delights on Sat May 19, 2007 9:05 pm

I would agree that a normal ENGLISH university is quite like this

And the Welsh and Northern Irish unis [img]littleicons/yellowtounge.gif[/img]

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37101440
box_of_delights

Return to New Students! First Years!