Home

TheSinner.net

Gowns for postgrad

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

Gowns for postgrad

Postby Guest on Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:59 pm

Dear Sinner people,

I am coming to St Andrews in September to study for a Philosophy M.Litt. My question is as follows: which gown should I wear in St Andrews, for formal events, chapel services, etc...

I understand you have a strong (or at least surviving) gown tradition, while at my alma mater do not. I would like to know in advance if I should attempt to acquire a gown while at Sheffield, or should save my money for buying one in St Andrews (I know owning one is non-compulsory, but plan on attending chapel services).

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide me with.

Re:

Postby Al on Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:07 am

I believe the relevant authorities decided a few years ago that postgraduates coming from universities without a gown tradition can wear the gown worn by graduates of St Andrews.
Al

Re:

Postby RJ Covino on Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:26 pm

Quoting Al from 10:07, 24th Mar 2007
I believe the relevant authorities decided a few years ago that postgraduates coming from universities without a gown tradition can wear the gown worn by graduates of St Andrews.

Unless they intend to wear it with a hood, in which case they should wear it the gown of their first university. Mixing and matching is most inappropriate.
RJ Covino

Re:

Postby Guest on Sat May 12, 2007 3:21 pm

Where would one verify this information, or who should one contact to do so, as a gown is a bit of a hit on the ol' student budget, but one I wish to take.

Re:

Postby Jos Dad on Mon May 14, 2007 11:56 am

Quoting from 10:32, 12th May 2007
Where would one verify this information, or who should one contact to do so, as a gown is a bit of a hit on the ol' student budget, but one I wish to take.

Probably the first port of call is Registry. email: registry@st-andrews.ac.uk
From the Glory of High fell, unto the despair of life.
Jos Dad

Return to New Students! First Years!