Home

TheSinner.net

jobs? you need to earn some cash for all that partying :)

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

jobs? you need to earn some cash for all that partying :)

Postby harriet on Tue May 01, 2007 5:03 pm

hey, I'm probably going to come to your lovely university this september, and I was wondering are there many jobs in the town for students? do they all get snapped up at the beginning of term?

thanks! ♥
harriet

Re:

Postby fluffy on Tue May 01, 2007 8:20 pm

always at subway. but only go there if desperate. you have to go looking as soon as you get here because they go fast. make your CV as good as poss and hand out on arrival.
dev ksereis, alla eimai trella erotebmevei mazi sou..
fluffy

Re:

Postby Idealist on Tue May 08, 2007 8:48 am

If you look hard enough you'll find one. I've had two jobs during my four years and have come across them pretty easily. If you get really desperate the following shops seem to have a permanent sign in their window for assistants:

*Superdrug
*Subway
*Greggs
*Macgregors
*Little Johns

You can also work for the university, doing various admin bits and bobs or being an ambassador (although I wouldn't recommend that in your first year - you need to know a bit about the place first!)

Have a look at the Job Centre Plus website for St Andrews before you get here to see whats available!

[hr]

[s]"You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time"[/s]
[s]"You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time"[/s]
Idealist

Re:

Postby maenad on Tue May 08, 2007 8:59 am

Quoting Idealist from 09:48, 8th May 2007
You can also work for the university, doing various admin bits and bobs or being an ambassador (although I wouldn't recommend that in your first year - you need to know a bit about the place first!)

How do you apply for those?

[hr]

Tommy can you hear me?
Tommy can you hear me?
maenad

Re:

Postby fluffy on Tue May 08, 2007 6:49 pm

i work for the union, get paid great wage, and its a brilliant job. i got it just by sending a CV in. easy peasy lemon squeezy

[hr]

dev ksereis, alla eimai trella erotebmevei mazi sou, kai thelw va eimai mazi sou stnv athnva..
fluffy

Re:

Postby papercutheart on Sun May 13, 2007 1:42 am

Great wage? Union? Since when did St. Andrews have more than one Union?
papercutheart

Re:

Postby fluffy on Sun May 13, 2007 8:43 am

oh, maybe i work for the university then! anyhow, i get a spiffy wage and its a nice job.

[hr]

fluffy

Re:

Postby Thalia on Sun May 13, 2007 11:04 am

Yes, it's a little known fact - despite always complaining about money problems in some form or another, the university pay quite well, £6.16 an hour i think it is i get for serving food in halls :-)

[hr]

You've been nothing but an angel every day of your life and now you wonder what it's like to be damned...
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby lizzie_liz on Sun May 27, 2007 8:57 pm

If you want a job come to university with you CV made and just go round all the shops, hotels, bars etc handing it to them as soon as you arrive in St Andies. If they don't have any they may well keep your CV and get in contact with you if a job arises at a later date.
lizzie_liz

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:08 am

No no no no no NO!

What you want is lots of lovely DEBT.

[hr]

http://www.charities-campaign.org.uk
You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby box_of_delights on Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:32 pm

If you want a job in the union you'll need to fill in an application form and specify which department you want to work in (Bars, BESS, General Office etc.) and if any work turns up they'll invite you for interview. I wouldn't recommend working in the bar in your first year because the hours can be long and pay isn't anywhere near as good as the other union and university departments. Plus, you want to make the most of your first year being a customer OF the union bar, not working behind it during a bop night.

As others have said, there are always jobs going in town (The Grill House always seem to take on new people, as do the Gin House and Subway). But do start looking early as poss... even tho' jobs do seem to be around all through the year.

The University Careers Centre also run the "Job Shop" which allows you to search folders of local vancancies (some of which are a little more unusual - e.g. babysitting, gardening, housework) and you get signed up to their email list every week giving details of new jobs in town.
box_of_delights

Return to New Students! First Years!