Home

TheSinner.net

Some Questions About Getting Replies

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

Some Questions About Getting Replies

Postby Sean on Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:20 pm

Hey. I am coming to your lovely uni in September and i was wondering about some issues regarding things i've applied for in the build up to arrival.

First of all, there's the matter of accommodation. When are we generally told what accommodation we've been allocated? I have an unconditional offer so I shouldnt have to wait until i get my results, right.

The second question was regarding scholarships. I've applied for the physics one, and was wondering how long it takes for them to consider them and send out replies. Do they only reply to those who have been successful with the applications?

I hope someone with prior experience will be able to answer my questions. Thanks a lot!
Sean

Re:

Postby The Bitter Historian on Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:25 pm

You'll have to wait on accommodation like everyone else, I think; they have to allocate everything once they know just how many first-years they have to squeeze in. I got my accommodation stuff about a week after results, if memory serves.

Physics scholarships I can't help you with, sorry.

[hr]

http://bitterhistorian.blogspot.com

Life. St Andrews. Budgeting. Some history. Mostly bitterness.
http://bitterhistorian.blogspot.com

Life. St Andrews. Budgeting. Some history. Mostly bitterness.
The Bitter Historian

Re:

Postby UanarchyK on Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:20 pm

I applied for the physics scholarship last year and, if I recall correctly, never got a reply. Therefore, I'm inclined to think that only the successful receive replies.
UanarchyK

Re:

Postby Pan on Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:29 pm

I got my reply telling me I'd got the scholarship in the 1st week of term, you get it in the post :-)

[hr]

"Last time you gave me a pie, I cut into it, and birds flew out of it, hitting me in the face and chin. I was confused. It was a trick pie"
Pan

Re:

Postby James Shield on Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:32 pm

Quoting The Bitter Historian from 16:25, 7th Jun 2007
You'll have to wait on accommodation like everyone else, I think; they have to allocate everything once they know just how many first-years they have to squeeze in. I got my accommodation stuff about a week after results, if memory serves.

Actually, I received my accommodation contract well before exam results were released as I'd accepted an unconditional offer. Mid to late June, I believe.

The University's intake of first years is consistently more or less the same each year (and any year-on-year increases are very small indeed) which means that despite the conditionality of many offers, the numbers are quite predictable.
James Shield

Re:

Postby Mehmsy on Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:58 pm

Scholarship notices you recieve in the post, yes; but mine arrived before I arrived at uni.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37106593
Mehmsy

Return to New Students! First Years!