Home

TheSinner.net

Missing the Grades

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

Missing the Grades

Postby Emma on Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:35 am

Hey everyone!

I'm coming to the end of my A Levels at the mo and really want to get into St Andrews this September. I was just wondering whether they're ever lenient and let you in even if you don't make the grades???
Emma

Re:

Postby Mehmsy on Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:19 pm

I was in a bit of a strange situation when I was accepted to St. Andrews.

I did the IB programme, which is similar to the A levels. In short, the university asked me to get 32 points in total, with a 5 in Maths and Physics (this was for entry into the Physics department). I ended up getting 34 in total, a 5 in Physics, but a 4 in Maths. They let me in without the need to negotiate.

So yeah, I think they can be somewhat lenient; but I think it depends on what school you're trying to get into. Some are more harsh than others.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37106593
Mehmsy

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:30 pm

Depends on your department.

English? Psychology? IR? Medicine? Doubtful.

Art History? Comp Sci? Russian? They'll probably have you if you smile and can spell your name.

Edit for spelling unbecoming of an English student.

[hr]

http://www.charities-campaign.org.uk
You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby Freaker on Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:40 pm

Quoting Mehmsy from 14:19, 14th Jun 2007I did the IB programme, which is similar to the A levels. In short, the university asked me to get 32 points in total, with a 5 in Maths and Physics (this was for entry into the Physics department). I ended up getting 34 in total, a 5 in Physics, but a 4 in Maths. They let me in without the need to negotiate.

I think they may be more lenient with the IB seeing as it is that little bit exotic and generally quite highly regarded. Two extra points can make up for the specific subject requirement there I would think.

Interesting how requirements change between departments, though, I needed to get 36 points to get in for Philosophy and IR if I remember correctly, and now they've put that up to 38...

To come back to the original question - I wouldn't worry too much before the grades are actually out. Should they be worse than expected, contact the university, and maybe contact the department(s) individually as well. Student Support Services (http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/sss/) may also be able to help you. St Andrews does turn a lot of people away every year - but I'd think that once they've offered you a place, unless your grades are much different from what they expect, you'll get that place as well.

[hr]

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Freaker

Re:

Postby Mehmsy on Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:51 am

Quoting Freaker from 22:40, 14th Jun 2007
Interesting how requirements change between departments, though, I needed to get 36 points to get in for Philosophy and IR if I remember correctly, and now they've put that up to 38...

I think it's because the IB can be a hilariously easy 2 years if you pick your courses well. HL Maths and HL Physics are considered to be the two toughest courses you can pick, so most universities demand lower scores for entrants into Maths and Physics simply because getting even 4 in both of those courses is already something; whereas getting a 6 or 7 in a class like English is a bit easier (IMO at least).

I had a friend who really wasn't the brightest student ever, and he didn't study that hard. But he got a 40 in total because he really picked easy classes.

[hr]

Mehmsy

Re:

Postby Emma on Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:37 pm

Thanks for your help. I've applied for Psychology so I guess I'd better the grades!!!
Emma

Re:

Postby Mehmsy on Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:51 pm

Impressing the university with other qualities such as extra-curricular activities and other involvements also helps them to be more lenient when it comes to grades.

[hr]

Mehmsy

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:13 pm

Quoting Emma from 20:46, 15th Jun 2007
Thanks for your help. I've applied for Psychology so I guess I'd better the grades!!!

Unless you're very interested in research, you may think twice about coming here. Counselling and abnormal, for instance, are barely even mentioned.

[hr]

The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby Jono on Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:18 pm

Quoting Emma from 10:50, 14th Jun 2007
Hey everyone!

I'm coming to the end of my A Levels at the mo and really want to get into St Andrews this September. I was just wondering whether they're ever lenient and let you in even if you don't make the grades???

Everyone thinks they've done worse than they actually did! They wouldn't have given you an offer if they didn't think you'd make the cut.

That said; I've been told that they never have any places for clearing. Even so; don't worry about it, because there's nothing you can do until mid-August when the results come out.

[hr]

Exclusive to The Sinner, and all other fora.
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Return to New Students! First Years!