Home

TheSinner.net

Albany Park

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

Albany Park

Postby Pat on Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:03 pm

hey everybody! i will commence my studies at St. Andrews this year as an undergraduate and since i am 21, i applied successfully for accommodation at Albany Park. I was wondering if anyone could give me some information or first-hand experience. Also is it really that hard to get to know the people there as mentioned in the sinner-guide?
Thanks for any help!
Pat

Re:

Postby orudge on Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:05 pm

Take a look at the Albany board, it may be of more use (although it's a bit quiet).

It's not generally that hard to get to know people - the committee tend to put on a number of good events at the start of term, and throughout the year. You'll probably become pretty close with your housemates obviously, and outside of that, well, you perhaps have to make more effort than you would in a catered hall, but it's really not that bad.

[hr]

http://www.owenrudge.net/
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37103734
orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby box_of_delights on Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:40 am

Although I've not stayed in Albany, I know of lots who have and they all seem to have very positive things to say about it (though I would agree that it's probably harder to mix there than in a catered hall).
box_of_delights

Re:

Postby Frank on Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:27 am

Pat, if you're twenty-one, then there's every chance you might end up in with us (fourth years)! Well, perhaps not, but anyway. We booked in and got our ...thing in albany, but one had to drop out, so we were left with a mysterious 'sixth housemate' possibility.

On the otherhand, we might just have a spare room...

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Frank

Re:

Postby Guest on Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:15 pm

I lived in Albany for my first 2 years and i pretty much agree with what orudge has said. Its alsoeasy to make friends through classes and clubs

Re:

Postby Pat on Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:28 pm

Thank you very much for your opinions and your advice. In the end I think you are right and I will just have to wait and see, be outgoing, open-minded and enter some clubs.
Also, from what I have read and heard from you guys on the sinner, Albany Park appears to be a nice community with lots of fun people and that's what matters to me the most.
So, thanks again.

Frank, I will be living in house #8.
Pat

Re:

Postby orudge on Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:28 pm

Ah, house 8, that was my house last year. Prime position next to the bins... :P

[hr]

orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby Pat on Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:39 pm

Quoting orudge from 15:28, 28th Jul 2007
Ah, house 8, that was my house last year. Prime position next to the bins... :P

[hr]

Yeah, I have read that already on the AP main board, lol. Whatever, at least it won't take me that much time to take out the trash.[img]littleicons/wink.gif[/img]
Pat

Re:

Postby Si on Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:43 pm

I lived in Albany for 3 years and I wouldn't have had it any other way. As long as you go to the committee events in Freshers week, then it's really easy to meet loads of great people.

I envy you Pat, as I would love to spend another year in good old Albania. Enjoy it!
Si

Re:

Postby beeny on Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:44 pm

You're in Albany??? Get out while you can. I stayed there last year and it was hellish. Depressing sitation, flatmates from hell, miles from town, dingy horrible little house. I cried so much every time I had to go back there and ended up spending almost all of my time at my boyfriend's flat. And as for friendly? the events were non-existant and the place was like a ghost town. I never saw anyone walking about, no house parties nothing. Maybe my view was hideously soured by my dick flatmates but still. Or mayeb I was just too far out of all the 'Albany action' in house 2.

In short, reapply to accommodation.

[hr]

'But what do I know? I'm a bear; I suck the heads off fish.'
'But what do I know? I'm a bear; I suck the heads off fish.'
beeny

Re:

Postby Pat on Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:13 pm

Well, the last two opinions are definitely different from each other. Still, I am optimistic (naive?) and hope to agree with Si next year!
Thanks for sharing your experiences though.
Pat

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:23 pm

Yeah - it really depends on your housemates as to how good AP is.

Shit housemates = shit time.

Good housemates = Fucking Great Time

IMHO

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby *chloe* on Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:45 am

hey! i got accepted at st andrews this year and have got myself a place at albany park. Tho im really worried that evryones going to be a lot older than me (im only 18!!) and will already have their own friend groups. did i make the wrong choice?!
*chloe*

Re:

Postby orudge on Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:47 am

The vast majority of people will probably be 18, particularly those from Scotland. Some people may have others from their school arriving, but most people will be starting off exactly as you are, not knowing anyone! So don't worry, most other people are in the same boat as you. You'll meet loads of people in freshers week! :)

[hr]

orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby Pat on Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:41 pm

Glad to hear that I won't be the only first year student at Albany Park! [img]littleicons/yellowhappyface.gif[/img]
To know that there will be other people in the same situation as oneself, makes things appear a lot easier.
Even though I am 21, I am always looking foward to meeting new people no matter how old they are. Additionally most of my fellow students will be around 18/19. So see you during freshers week...
[img]littleicons/wineglass1.gif[/img]
Pat

Re:

Postby maenad on Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:54 pm

beeny, I reckon it was having bad housemates that ruined your year. I was in Albany too and am going back in September. I love living there (but then, I was in Sallies in first year and really disliked hall). The 'houses' are small and nothing special, but the rent is cheap. I found people friendly and our neighbours alone had several parties throughout the year. It's no more than 20 minutes' walk into town and you have wonderful access to the beach. I didn't find the freshers' events exciting last year but my advice would be to go and find people to visit in the first couple of weeks. I'm in 41, you can visit me. Our scary housemate has moved out now :-P.

[hr]

Tommy can you hear me?
Tommy can you hear me?
maenad

Return to New Students! First Years!