Home

TheSinner.net

Mature Students

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

Mature Students

Postby Guest on Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:12 pm

Am I going to be in a minority of 1??

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:46 am

No, St Andrews has loads of mature students, a large postgraduate community and many ex-students who never quite get round to leaving. You'll feel right at home.

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Guest on Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:56 pm

Great, thanks :-)

Re:

Postby Guest on Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:53 pm

I will be 21 when commencing my studies As far as I know, that makes me a mature student in Great Britain. Therefore I think that makes a minority of at least 2 [img]littleicons/yellowhappyface.gif[/img]

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:20 pm

you have to be 25+ to be a mature student in the UK.

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:11 pm

oxymoron lol! etc
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby Guest on Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:13 am

I'm pretty sure that 21+ counts as a mature student, and 25+ makes you "independent" (from parents, in financial assessment). Although I may be wrong.

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:06 am

It seems you are correct.

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/admissions/ ... estudents/

I think that is rather strange. Most of the benefits of being a "mature student" come from the 25+ age (Mature Students Emergency Fund).

[hr]

munchingfoo

Re:

Postby turnblad on Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:36 am

Quoting from 21:39, 12th Aug 2007
Am I going to be in a minority of 1??

HELL no.

I was 31 when I started as an UG. I did the Summer School thing and thought I'd be the oldest there. The oldest was actually 76.

Seriously.

It is astounding.
The purpose of life is to die. So everyone should eat pie.
turnblad

Re:

Postby Malcolm on Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:46 pm

I did a first year maths course which had a retired minister. The retired minister already had a maths degree from 40 years previous and was doing the course as something to do IIRC so no, you're far from alone.

I was always amazed at how old some people really were, some of the older undergrads look like they're the same age as the regular school leavers.
Malcolm

Re:

Postby turnblad on Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:14 pm

Quoting Malcolm from 13:46, 18th Sep 2007
I did a first year maths course which had a retired minister. The retired minister already had a maths degree from 40 years previous and was doing the course as something to do IIRC so no, you're far from alone.

I was always amazed at how old some people really were, some of the older undergrads look like they're the same age as the regular school leavers.

We have learned the power of eternal youth, that is how.
The purpose of life is to die. So everyone should eat pie.
turnblad

Re:

Postby David Bean on Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:40 pm

I know him - William, I believe, was his name. We had lunch in the Union together a couple of times; interesting chap.

[hr]

Psalm 91:7
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby Anonymous/b on Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:01 am

i'm a mature (??) starting this year - 21 yrs and independant - although mature i think is more a title than a description
Anonymous/b

Return to New Students! First Years!