Home

TheSinner.net

Getting to St Andrews from London?!!

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

Getting to St Andrews from London?!!

Postby Clarky on Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:50 pm

Hi everyone! I'm coming to St Andrews in September as a fresher and I have no idea how I'm going to get all my stuff from London. Is anyone else coming from London and how are they planning on bringing their things there? All suggestions welcome! Thanks!
Clarky

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:02 pm

London options:

Train direct from King's Cross to Leuchars, then a bus/taxi to St Andrews, about 5 miles away.

Plane from LGW or STN to Edinburgh, then a bus to Edinburgh Haymarket station, then train to Leuchars, then bus/taxi to St Andrews as above.

Or if you're feeling wealthy, London City to Dundee. Bus/taxi from Dundee to St Andrews.

Car get someone to drive you. Muuuuch more convenient for moving loads of stuff.

Floo powder (I will stop making Harry Potter references on The Sinner)

[hr]

http://www.charities-campaign.org.uk
You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby bdw on Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:49 pm

Quoting Bizarre Atheist from 18:02, 20th Aug 2007

Plane from LGW or STN to Edinburgh, then a bus to Edinburgh Haymarket station, then train to Leuchars, then bus/taxi to St Andrews as above.

or LHR or LCY
bdw

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:48 pm

As a veteran of this journey, I assure you the train is the fastest door to door. Sure, a 30 minutes flight may seem tempting, but you actually end up waiting longer.

[hr]

The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby bdw on Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:36 am

Quoting DrAlex from 20:48, 20th Aug 2007
As a veteran of this journey, I assure you the train is the fastest door to door. Sure, a 30 minutes flight may seem tempting, but you actually end up waiting longer.

[hr]

To the extent that you're taking the train after flying into Edinburgh or have to pass through LHR/LGW/STN, I'd agree with the above.
Achtung Anecdote.
The City-Dundee Scotair route has taken me less than 3 hours to get from chez bdw to St Andrews in the past (though this was before last year's additional security restrictions). Alternatively, flying into EDI and hiring a car would almost certainly be quicker than the train.
Notwithstanding the foregoing, if you're lugging all your stuff up for the first time, blag a lift or follow Dr Alex's suggestion and get the train.
bdw

Re:

Postby OhhMy on Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:12 pm

The train is the best option:

I do it every year and its not too bad. The direct train from Kings Cross is the best option. You can arrange to have one large piece of luggage stowed in the guards compartment if you ask the conductor / train staff.

If you want to send more stuff than you can carry on a train then use a courier company. APC http://www.apc-overnight.com/ is cheap and easy and halls can accept packages 9 to 5.

Door to door it iss faster and MUCH less hastle and with the amount of stuff you will probably be carrying cheaper as you wont have to pay excess luggage.

Book your ticket now (www.gner.co.uk) and make sure you get a student rail card. They are more than worth the money.

Quoting Clarky from 00:14, 20th Aug 2007
Hi everyone! I'm coming to St Andrews in September as a fresher and I have no idea how I'm going to get all my stuff from London. Is anyone else coming from London and how are they planning on bringing their things there? All suggestions welcome! Thanks!
OhhMy

Re:

Postby DRA Receptionist on Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:11 pm

Quoting ohhmy from 13:12, 21st Aug 2007

If you want to send more stuff than you can carry on a train then use a courier company. APC http://www.apc-overnight.com/ is cheap and easy and halls can accept packages 9 to 5.

David Russell Apartments, Fife Park and Albany Park do NOT accept anything sent by courier companies - it's Royal Mail only, guys. Whoever's at Reception will either call your room to get you to meet the courier or send them round to your apartment/house. If nobody is in your stuff will NOT be kept at Reception for you (unless it is of the lost/delayed luggage from an airline type).
Reception at DRA will probably be open 8 til 8 during Pre-Sesh Week.
DRA Receptionist

Re:

Postby A66 on Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:33 pm

Quoting DRA Receptionist from 14:32, 22nd Aug 2007

David Russell Apartments, Fife Park and Albany Park do NOT accept anything sent by courier companies - it's Royal Mail only, guys. Whoever's at Reception will either call your room to get you to meet the courier or send them round to your apartment/house. If nobody is in your stuff will NOT be kept at Reception for you (unless it is of the lost/delayed luggage from an airline type).

Surely that's never going to work think of the amount of term time deliveries, from online shopping, that come by courier?
A66

Re:

Postby OhhMy on Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:54 pm

Quoting a66 from 15:33, 22nd Aug 2007
Quoting DRA Receptionist from 14:32, 22nd Aug 2007

Yep it comes by a specific courier company costs about £20 for one large box (more the heavier it is) they pick it up either in the morning or afternoon and deliever it the following day. Used them every year and they have been great.

Surely that's never going to work think of the amount of term time deliveries, from online shopping, that come by courier?
OhhMy

Return to New Students! First Years!