Home

TheSinner.net

Linguistics

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

Linguistics

Postby Guest on Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:31 pm

Hey! I'm starting a psychology degree this september and am trying to decide what other modules to do. I was thinking of linguistics as one of them - any views on whether it's any good??? Also, I was having a quick look at it's second year modules and got a bit confused (it doesn't take much!) - do you look at the linguistics of another language? Thanks!

Re:

Postby Rache on Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:24 pm

Hey, I'm thinking of taking Linguistics too. The website has like zero information on what is actually involved.. So, thanks for asking,I want to know too! :)
Rache

Re:

Postby RGJohns on Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:14 pm

I do Psychology, and chose Linguistics as an option in the first year, and would certainly do it again.

It's more interactive than most courses, both in lectures and seminars which makes a nice change. The lecturers are lovely, and while it is a fair bit of work, much of what you learn is actually repeated in 2nd year psychology, so you get a distinct advantage there.

The only down side is that they do mark lower than other courses, but as you only really need to pass it, it doesn't make much difference in the long run.

In second year it's different apparently as it's run by a different department but still along the same subject lines (don't know if you do another language). I only dropped it cos the lectures were at 1pm!

I'd say well worth it as there's so much language in the psychology course that they complement each other really well.
RGJohns

Re:

Postby smile on Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:16 pm

First Year Linguistics is taught by the Department of English Language Teaching. I did the course in 2002-2003 and it was compsed of 3 strands - sociolinguistics, psycholinguistics and applied linguistics (how to teach languages)

Second Year Linguistics is taught by the School of Modern Languages, and takes a much more 'academic' approach than the first year course. You focus mainly on English, but may also look at French or German - however no previous knowledge of the foreign langauge is required. I know this sounds silly, but they guide you through it.

So, all in all, first year linguistics is fairly easy, but the subject does get a lot more difficult from Year 2 onwards.
smile

Re:

Postby Guest on Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:56 pm

Oooo sounds good :) Thanks for all the help!

Return to New Students! First Years!