Home

TheSinner.net

Attire

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

Attire

Postby Guest on Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:59 pm

I know this sounds silly but I'm slightly worried about my attire at St Andrews... I don't dress like most students, quite the opposite I wear heels and dresses everyday. I suppose people would say I am dressed up quite alot but thats just my style. Does this matter at all??? Should I tone it down a bit and wear jeans and trainers etc or am I worrying about nothing?

(By the way I would not be seen dead in one of those awful sloane ranger body warmers).

Re:

Postby Al on Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:12 pm

Given that St Andrews is a university where there is such a vast range in what students wear, I don't think anyone will see your chosen attire as odd or unusual.
Al

Re:

Postby shadows and dust on Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:56 pm

It's undeniable that the majority of students live in jeans and hoodies...that said, St Andrews is the kind of place where you could walk down the street in a clown suit and people probably wouldn't bat an eye-lid. Personally although I also live in jeans I've been known to wear dresses and high-heeled boots just to go to class so go with how you feel. It's better to be yourself :-)
shadows and dust

Re:

Postby box_of_delights on Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:50 am

Quoting shadows and dust from 22:56, 11th Sep 2007
It's undeniable that the majority of students live in jeans and hoodies...that said, St Andrews is the kind of place where you could walk down the street in a clown suit and people probably wouldn't bat an eye-lid. Personally although I also live in jeans I've been known to wear dresses and high-heeled boots just to go to class so go with how you feel. It's better to be yourself :-)

Like everyone else has said, students in St Andrews tend to dress a little differently to the "typical" student, in that fewer people wear jeans and a hoodie than would wear jeans and a knitted sweater, or a shirt, for example. People on balance tend to be far better dressed (i.e. not so slob-like) in St Andrews than other uni towns.

[hr]

[s]http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37101440&pwstdfy=c9c14f50e63e4951ba5a9abb7ffcdc6e[/s]
box_of_delights

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:01 am

All girls should wear dresses and heels. All the time.

I assume the OP is a girl, yes?

[hr]

You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:16 pm

The OP is a damned fool, and is going to get us all killed!
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

BTW

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:17 pm

Quoting from 00:55, 11th Sep 2007
Does this matter at all???

lol wut? of course it matters! expect stabbings.
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby Midget on Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:04 pm

I found heels and dress was perfectly acceptable, this is me at the Rectoral Drag, but it was by no means the first time.

http://standrews.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30335005&op=15&o=all&view=all&subj=37100090&id=37105310

[hr]

IMAGE:img9.imgspot.com/u/04/241/18/160019.jpg http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100090
new shite: http://edinburgh.threeweeks.co.uk/brows ... 44&cnt=all
Midget

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:21 am

you should wear what you like, as above folks have said, so one will care to be honest. Though i would recommend something to wear under the dresses for when it gets stupidly cold and windy...

Re:

Postby flossy on Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:25 am

Dresses are fine but you'll need a brolly, a raincoat, waterproof shoes, scarf, jumper etc. Think rainy day up Ben Nevis.

[hr]

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the substrate.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the substrate.
flossy

Re:

Postby OhhMy on Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:38 pm

Be yourself when you dress - its much more comfortable.
OhhMy

Re:

Postby Matt on Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:55 pm

A bit off the original topic, but worthy nonetheless....what's the dress code for things like balls and ceilidhs? Should we chaps lug bags of bow ties and dinner jackets up to St Andrews, or would a standard suit or even civvies be acceptable?

What's the form?
Matt

Re:

Postby Glitter on Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:55 pm

What about university branded clothing do many people wear the stuff from BESS? Is it warm.. i.e. the jumpers
Glitter

Re:

Postby David Bean on Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:20 pm

Well, you'd want to be in a good dark suit at the very least, but my advice would definitely be to bring your dinner jacket if you have one. At balls and ceilids, almost everyone comes in black tie, and if you have your own rather than having to hire it there are so many other opportunities to wear them too, such as at debates and High Table.

BESS clothing is very popular, yess - rarely does a day go by when you don't see somebody wearing it.

To the OP: bravo! I'm sure you'll look great, and fit in perfectly well; individuality is rife in St Andrews, but if your taste happens to run to the more-classy-than-average, so much the better, I'd say.

[hr]

Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:20 pm

Quoting Matt from 17:56, 17th Sep 2007
A bit off the original topic, but worthy nonetheless....what's the dress code for things like balls and ceilidhs? Should we chaps lug bags of bow ties and dinner jackets up to St Andrews, or would a standard suit or even civvies be acceptable?

What's the form?

That is a very good point...for girls can we wear just any sort of dresses for balls and ceilidhs? I am praying we don't have to wear traditional style 'ball gowns' that you buy from Monsoon. Are cocktail dresses (as in shorter dresses) ok?

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:20 pm

Quoting rob 'f*ck off' wine boy from 16:16, 12th Sep 2007
The OP is a damned fool, and is going to get us all killed!

Hmmm v.interesting. How exactly?

Re:

Postby David Bean on Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:14 pm

Yes, cocktail dresses will be okay in most circumstances. You do find that, for some of the bigger balls, girls will mostly wear a proper ball gown, but those are particularly special events and those who find themselves attracted to that kind of thing will probably pick up a gown or two in the normal course of events, rather than it being something they feel the need to plan for especially this far in advance.

[hr]

David Bean

Re:

Postby unre on Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:52 pm

Quoting David Bean from 20:20, 19th Sep 2007
Well, you'd want to be in a good dark suit at the very least, but my advice would definitely be to bring your dinner jacket if you have one. At balls and ceilids, almost everyone comes in black tie, and if you have your own rather than having to hire it there are so many other opportunities to wear them too, such as at debates and High Table.

BESS clothing is very popular, yess - rarely does a day go by when you don't see somebody wearing it.

To the OP: bravo! I'm sure you'll look great, and fit in perfectly well; individuality is rife in St Andrews, but if your taste happens to run to the more-classy-than-average, so much the better, I'd say.

[hr]

Actually, buying a dinner jacket could cost less than hiring each time you go for a ball.
unre

Re:

Postby Big X on Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:40 pm

WILL cost less

[hr]

"Never apologise for showing feeling, in doing so you apologise for truth" Disraeli
"Never apologise for showing feeling, in doing so you apologise for truth" Disraeli
Big X

Re:

Postby Ellkie on Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:17 pm

No one will care. You are the only one who cares. It doesn't matter.

[hr]

It's all GEEK
It's all GEEK
Ellkie

Next

Return to New Students! First Years!