Home

TheSinner.net

banking question...

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

banking question...

Postby user on Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:55 pm

So, I'm an American incoming postgraduate student who would, presumably, be looking to open a bank account for the time I spend in the UK.

Is there any bank in particular that anyone would recommend? (The University sent enclosed a letter from RBOS, is that considered the best?)

Is there anyway to get a UK debit or credit card without any local address history? Do any of the bank accounts come with one that might be extended to a foreign national? I discovered that my US bank will charge me $1 for each foreign transaction (as well as a poor exchange rate) and I've gotten out of the habit of carrying cash. So, any suggestions?
user

Re:

Postby David Bean on Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:28 pm

First of all, I know that Americans generally can and do get a UK bank account, but I'm not aware of the precise mechanics of the situation. Second, if anyone can confirm that the St Andrews branch is okay and they'll make it available to foreigners, I'd say go for Natwest, for the simple reason that you'll get a free railcard.

[hr]

Psalm 91:7
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby Bread Roll on Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:06 pm

Quoting David Bean from 20:28, 19th Sep 2007
First of all, I know that Americans generally can and do get a UK bank account, but I'm not aware of the precise mechanics of the situation. Second, if anyone can confirm that the St Andrews branch is okay and they'll make it available to foreigners, I'd say go for Natwest, for the simple reason that you'll get a free railcard.

The last time I checked, there isn't a Natwest in St Andrews. But aren't RBS and Natwest (and Ulster Bank) all one and the same these days anyway? I don't know if that means you'd get a free railcard at RBS though.....

[hr]

CALLBACK!!?! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!
Bread Roll

Re:

Postby orudge on Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:13 am

RBS are offering a free 3-year railcard too on their current promotion, anyway.

[hr]

http://www.owenrudge.net/
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37103734
orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby JohnMac on Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:12 am

Don't RBS offer 100 quid to new student accounts opened??? If thats the case then surely thats the best option!
JohnMac

Re:

Postby Midget on Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:46 pm

Northern Rock.

[hr]

IMAGE:img9.imgspot.com/u/04/241/18/160019.jpg new shite
http://edinburgh.threeweeks.co.uk/brows ... 44&cnt=all
Midget

Re:

Postby Freaker on Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:36 pm

I would always recommend Bank of Scotland, they have good service and I have been very happy with them. I got a credit card from them as an international student, and have no troubles using that on my year abroad to the US at the moment, either.

Or, if you wanted to go with an ethical bank account in the UK generally, you could have a look for the coop bank, I think it is called Smile, but they are to my knowledge only an internet bank.

[hr]

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Freaker

Re:

Postby Fenella on Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:28 pm

1) Generally the student account promotions, such as a free rail card, or free £100 pounds are not available to international students

2) If you want a debit card, don't go with RBOS. They don't tend to give them to international students. I think you can still get a credit card with them, although you should probably check that first.

I, personally, think that the Bank of Scotland is absolutely awful, so I recommend having a look at Lloyds.
Fenella

Return to New Students! First Years!