Home

TheSinner.net

Help!

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

Help!

Postby Guest on Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:55 pm

Hi I'm trying to pick my modules and I have no idea how this all works. I applied for art history and realise I have to do other subjects, so do I just pick modules from other subjects that appeal?

Can I make up for most of my module credits with art history or do I have the same number for each subject?? Also how many subjects do most people study?

Re:

Postby James Shield on Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:30 pm

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/admissions/ ... greestudy/

That explains most of it.

You will take one Art History module in each of the two semesters. Each module is worth 20 credits, and you must take 60 credits per semester. The remaining 40 credits can be chosen from any subject in the Arts faculty, providing you meet module prerequisites (International Relations, for example, requires certain A Level/Scottish Higher grades). The vast majority of modules are 20 credits, though you will find that some Philosophy modules are 10 credits and second year Psychology modules are 30 credits.

So, you'll be taking 3 subjects in first year - For your first two years, Art History will only be one third of your degree.
James Shield

Re:

Postby David Bean on Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:26 pm

Also, if you've a mind to posibly taking a joint honours, or if you just want to leave yourself the option, pay attention to the prerequites for the other subjects(s) you'd be considering, and make sure you pick those modules too. All other things being equal, I reckon, it's generally best to take whatever action maximises your options in the future.

[hr]

Psalm 91:7
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Return to New Students! First Years!