Home

TheSinner.net

Social Anthropology Recommendations

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

Social Anthropology Recommendations

Postby januaryrain on Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:41 pm

Just started Soc Anthrop this year and finding it kinda overwhelming. Any tips as to what books are good to help understand what I'm meant to be doing?!!
januaryrain

Re:

Postby Freaker on Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:38 pm

Have a look at Edward Said's 'Orientalism' , apparently it is what most of modern Social Anthropology is based on. But then you may just be best off asking the lecturer or tutor for additional material.

Most importantly, if this is first year - don't stress. You don't need the amazing grades, so take your time to get used to the course.

[hr]

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Freaker

Re:

Postby cam on Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:50 pm

Get out of it - get out of it quick would have been my advice. A bit late now though.

It's always entertaining to irritate Gay y Blasco - uber entertaining.
cam

Re:

Postby Guest on Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:48 pm

No matter how infamous has Paloma become, it is always most important to read her recent book.It is about the essentials of anthropology and she wrote it together with Huon.Look for that book.You will find it more than helpful.And do study anthropology.It is exciting!

Return to New Students! First Years!