Home

TheSinner.net

Welcome Freshers 2008!

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

Welcome Freshers 2008!

Postby Admin on Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:36 pm

If you're coming to St Andrews this September, here's the place to ask any questions you like.

Fire away, and someone will gladly answer your queries!
Admin

Re:

Postby Cain on Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:40 pm

Is there still a ceilidh on the Sunday?

[hr]

I hold an element of surprise
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Oli on Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:45 pm

Yes, there will be. Full details for Freshers' Week released soon.
Oli

Re:

Postby Hennessy on Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:43 pm

The Sinner is still the best place to go to ask questions about St Andrews, maybe it should have some kind of advertising campaign in Fresher's week?

[hr]

The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
The Sinner.
Hennessy

Re:

Postby RandomMusings on Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:52 am

I think you make a good point, Hennessy. What exactly is the position of The Sinner in relation to the Association structure? Is it an official part of it or not?

I regularly direct people to the accommodation pages of The Sinner as it is the only place worth going at the moment.

[hr]

? The humble question mark?
? So much mightier than the sword?
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:56 am

Whilst I agree with you, I don't think that stance is a very helpful one. It's catch 22.

We need a mindset similar to when the sinner first started up to regain a popular usage throughout. I guess this means recommending it to everyone even if, for example, this week its rubbish, because if everyone does that next week it might not be.

[hr]

"The entirety of these definitions lie outside the gamut of the sRGB color space — such a pure color cannot be represented using RGB primaries. The color swatch to the right is a desaturated approximation, created by taking the centroid of the standard definition and moving it towards the D65 white point, until it meets the sRGB gamut triangle."
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby ct3012 on Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:09 pm

What might be good would be having more up to date articles about the town/uni in general.
But then again, I could just be saying that to annoy people...
ct3012

Re:

Postby Al on Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:02 am

Why don't you write some then?
Al

Re:

Postby Power Metal Dom on Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:09 pm

Heh, couldn't resist.

[hr]

Like flames on fuel...upon metal I drool
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Re:

Postby ct3012 on Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:11 pm

I would, but as it stands I could only write something about Albany Park. And even at that it would only be updating the existing article to include the past years developments...
ct3012

Re:

Postby Delts on Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:43 am

Surely you've been to some of the pubs, since they are really out of date.
Quoting ct3012 from 15:11, 31st Aug 2008
I would, but as it stands I could only write something about Albany Park. And even at that it would only be updating the existing article to include the past years developments...

[hr]

Quotes: For when you can think of nothing to say yourself.
If you do physics, panic.
Delts

Re:

Postby Hennessy on Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:01 am

First it would be helpful if the admin could clear existing articles for pubs that have ceased to exist in that form to avoid confusion

[hr]

The Sinner.
The Sinner.
Hennessy

Re:

Postby Hennessy on Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:19 pm

Also I'd like to point out the way first years seem to have ignored this board and posted straight to the main board :P.

They are young, soon they will learn the ways of the force...

[hr]

The Sinner.
The Sinner.
Hennessy

Re:

Postby Mephisto on Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:15 am

Intriguing, what's happened in the last year?
I'm moving up to St Andrews and into graduate accommodation in AP in under 3 weeks. Eager to find out as much as I can.
Mephisto

Re:

Postby Mephisto on Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:15 am

I'm moving up to St Andrews and into graduate accommodation in AP in under 3 weeks. Eager to find out as much as I can.
Mephisto

Re:

Postby Mephisto on Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:18 am

Mephisto

Re:

Postby Mephisto on Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:18 am

Mephisto

Re:

Postby Mephisto on Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:19 am

Mephisto

Re:

Postby ct3012 on Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:25 pm

Quoting Mephisto from 11:15, 2nd Sep 2008

We've now got a proper bike shed and common room with pool table, large tv, sofas, vending machines. I think all the houses have had their kitchens upgraded too, so they're no longer 1970s wonders.
ct3012

Re:

Postby Admin on Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:22 pm

We're making a wiki guide to St Andrews right now.

This will be publicised MASSIVELY throughout Fresher's Week, via flyers, posters and a stall at the Freshers' Fayre (look out for us there!*).

As for The Sinner's status:
The Sinner is an independent website, with no political, financial or other links.
It is owned by Oli Walker and is funded partly by Oli and partly by advertising revenue.
Oli's posts under the three main usernames as follows:
Admin - for posts about The Sinner
Oli - for posts that reflect his own personal opinion and that are for more serious things
Thackary - for the throwaway comments and less serious stuff.

Oli Walker also works for the Students' Association as Design and Marketing Officer. For this role, he may post under the shared username "Students' Association"
He makes sure the two jobs are kept separate, and finds it a bit weird to be typing in the third person.

*If anyone would like to help out at the Freshers' Fayre stall, please email admin@thesinner.net - we have a couple of people lined up to help already, but would gladly welcome another three or four friendly and enthusiastic volunteers to introduce the new first years to the site.
Admin

Next

Return to New Students! First Years!