Home

TheSinner.net

Formal wear for guys

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

Formal wear for guys

Postby aspie on Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:37 pm

Hi

I hear there are numerous formal doos, how formal are they? Do I need to buy a suit? or do i only need a white shirt, black jeans and the gown?

Many thanks

Aspie
aspie

Re:

Postby RandomMusings on Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:57 pm

Depends what kind of 'formal' you are talking about. If you are thinking of the balls, then yes, people tend to have either suits, dinner jackets or traditional scottish (ie kilts). White shirts and bow-ties are pretty usual attire at these, but by no means feel you have to comply with the masses. That is the great thing about St Andrews and you can be original whilst still wearing a suit, for example, a purple shirt & tie or whatever.

In terms of other 'formal' events, I guess you might be thinking of debates/church services. It is traditional for people to go to these events in trousers and gowns - but again, it is by no means a necessity. My advice to you would be to think hard about bothering to get a gown or not. In my three years thus far, I have never needed one - and I have no real desire to get one now other than it might be a nice keepsake. If you do want to get your money's worth out of buying a gown, then definitely get it in 1st year or else it is simply not economically worth it.

Hope that helps....

[hr]

? The humble question mark?
? So much mightier than the sword?
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Re:

Postby aspie on Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:13 pm

Thanks, that is just want i wanted to know. The downside is it looks like i am going to have to go and spend too much money on a suit :( Oh well, at least i can get it done now!

Thanks again

Aspie
aspie

Re:

Postby eagle on Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:30 am

Doesn't have to be a fortune on a suit! And you don't have to buy it before you get here.
There are plenty of shops nearby (Dundee is about 20 minutes away; Edinburgh an hour) that will sell cheaper suits.

As for the gown, go for it. They're a bit pricey, but you'll get plenty of opportunity to wear it over the next three or four years, and if you don't want to keep it (and it's still in good condition), you can sell it on.
eagle

Re:

Postby aspie on Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:12 am

Follow up question.....

What do i wear with the gown? black suit-like trowsers, white shirt and tie?

Will a simple suit with a bowtie suffice, or am i likly to need a less formal suit (ie, a suit with a tie)

Sorry i keep going over this - i guess it is comming up nerves!

thanks again

aspie
aspie

Re:

Postby Oli on Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:42 pm

You can wear your gown with anything.

A lounge suit, dinner jacket, jeans and T-shirt or even your running kit. Doesn't matter a jot. You can wear a tie with it (with any of the above options) - it's entirely up to you.

Wear whatever you feel comfortable wearing - mix and match if you want to.

Wear your gown to church, to the pub, to breakfast - wear it as an extra blanket it winter, or as a picnic rug in summer.

Wear it around town, around hall or just in your room.

Wear it on the pier walk.

But WEAR IT (never carry it).
Oli

Re: Formal wear for guys

Postby Pikey on Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:34 pm

St Andrews is (in)famous for its black tie events. As such I would recommend investing in a dinner jacket. A decent off-the-peg 2 piece dinner jacket should cost no more than £150, and could be quite a bit less depending on where you go, but will a good investment since you will probably wear it several times each year at uni and it'll last for years. Go classic - black single breasted dinner jacket, white shirt and bow tie.

As for the gown, you can wear it with anything, including your new DJ!
Pikey

Postby Benjamin on Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:43 pm

I realise that this is an old thread that's been bumped, but...

In the two years I've been a student in St Andrews, I have only needed to wear a suit-and-tie once, and that was because I was playing in a concert in the Younger Hall. Otherwise, I have never attended an event in St Andrews at which either a dinner suit or a formal kilt outfit would have been appropriate. I suppose it depends what you're into really.
Benjamin

Postby guest on Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:30 pm

Like Benjamin says, it depends. I've just graduated this year, and in my four years, I've had to wear black tie, suit or gown a couple of times.

In first and second years I would go for 2 black tie events per year (both of them balls). I have never been to the May ball - some people go for that as well. I've been to stuff that has required a suit about once a year on average. I have worn my gown about once a year - some people go to church and wear their gown regularly. If you attend the debating society's formal debates, it's also a great opportunity to wear your gown.

I think it would be useful to buy a dinner jacket - you can to Slaters in Edinburgh and get a dinner jacket for £60 (cheaper then rental). Also I think a suit is useful - its more important to get one that fits than an expensive one. It depends what you're into to decide whether you want to buy a gown.

Postby Mehmsy on Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:04 pm

I've been in St. Andrews for 4 years now and have had to attend numerous balls (which are awesome). Most required a black tie outfit, but I've always gotten away with wearing a dark suit with a tie.

Just about the only occasion where you'll definitely need one and not the other is graduation.
Mehmsy

Return to New Students! First Years!