Home

TheSinner.net

Lectures Miles away!

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

Lectures Miles away!

Postby aspie on Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:30 pm

I am a fresher study psychology (BSc) and my extra subjects are maths/stats and Biology. I have just been looking at the university map and schedual. It seems i will have maths 9-10, Biology 10-11 and then psychology 12-1, this in itself dosnt bother me, but i have just realsied that maths is the other side of town from biology! how do i get from one to the other in just a few mins! I dont want to change my choices - has anyone any advice/done this before?

Thankyou

Aspie
aspie

Re:

Postby HookerBot on Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:40 pm

Run!

Well, lectures usually end 5-10 minutes before the hour, and start 5-10 minutes after the hour, giving you time to get to places...although it is a bit of a pain, I admit.
HookerBot

Re:

Postby orudge on Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:02 pm

You could always get a bike, which will likely make the journey a bit easier - as Hookerbot says, you will have about 10 minutes or so to get there, which is just about manageable.

[hr]

http://www.owenrudge.net/
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37103734
orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby Thackary on Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:06 pm

With a bike, you shouldn't have a problem at all.

The whole town is merely two miles wide, and that includes all the residential area.

Maths to biology is approx 0.6 miles (1km), so you should be fine.
Thackary

Re:

Postby starsandsparkles on Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:52 pm

I had german from 9-10 and psychology in Purdie (chemistry) from 10-11 last semester. The distance is greater than maths-biology.

I walked and made it on time most of the time. If your lectures are starting or ending before 5-past and 5-to then speak to the module coordinator.

You'll be fine :)
starsandsparkles

Re:

Postby lizzie_liz on Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:00 pm

In first year, psychology is held in Physics buildings and I had my 1st year biology lectures in the Purdie (chemistry building) so they are all pretty close in fact.
lizzie_liz

Re:

Postby Thalia on Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:23 pm

Surely maths will be held either in the maths or physics department and bio will be held in the purdie building? Meaning that they're like 2 minutes walk from each other ;-)

I think your problem here was in assuming that lectures are held in the department building in first year when quite a lot of the time they're not. And even if they were split between the north haugh and the centre of town, it's only 10-15 mins to get there, you'll rarely miss anything in that time and even if you did, it's first year - you could miss the entire lecture and probably still pass :-P

[hr]

You've been nothing but an angel every day of your life and now you wonder what it's like to be damned...
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby CheeseDaddy on Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:19 am

In first year I had IR in Buchanan 10-11, Geography in Purdie at 11-12 and Modern History back at Buchanan from 12-1 a couple of times a week. Its not that bad, all you have to do is walk fast and generally you get there pretty much on time, especially given (as someone has already pointed out) lectures finish early and start late. Dont change modules because of something like that. The worst case scenario is you miss a few mins at the start of a lecture, which hardly matters when you consider that by november attendance at first year lectures is generally fairly low anyway!
CheeseDaddy

Re:

Postby Nelson on Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:47 pm

Quoting aspie from 16:30, 10th Sep 2008
I am a fresher study psychology (BSc) and my extra subjects are maths/stats and Biology. I have just been looking at the university map and schedual. It seems i will have maths 9-10, Biology 10-11 and then psychology 12-1, this in itself dosnt bother me, but i have just realsied that maths is the other side of town from biology! how do i get from one to the other in just a few mins! I dont want to change my choices - has anyone any advice/done this before?

Thankyou

Aspie

When I was a first year, I did psychology, biology and maths in first semester and it isn't too bad at all. Psych was in Physics, Biology was in the Purdie building and Maths in the maths building, all of which are maximum 3 minutes walk from each other!!!
Nelson

Re: Re:

Postby David Bean on Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:28 pm

Thalia wrote:Surely maths will be held either in the maths or physics department and bio will be held in the purdie building? Meaning that they're like 2 minutes walk from each other ;-)

Unless the Bio is in Gatty, of course, in which case you're in trouble. I used to do Modern Languages to Physics in my first year, which was doable, but having to get to the North Haugh from Gatty - ouch!
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re: Lectures Miles away!

Postby Duggeh on Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:56 pm

I had:

10-11 Purdie A
11-12 Upper Collage Hall
12-1 Purdie C

In my first year.
I had to use a bike in order not to miss every lecture start for the 2nd and 3rd classes. Even with the bike it was often tight depending on how lectures ran.
Duggeh

Postby Freaker on Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:36 pm

Your biggest enemy on your way through town will be the crowd of other students heading the opposite way - heading down market street between ten-to-the-hour and ten-past-the-hour can be quite a challenge. You'll very quickly learn to walk wisely on smaller paths, and then you should be fine. With a bike it'd be even less of a problem - cycle down to The Scores and race up the street there, you'll be up the way in no time.
Freaker

Postby lapetitegecko on Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:57 am

Lots of us have this problem, I think I had to run four times on Fridays one year to get to tutorials, lectures and meals on time.

Make sure you know the route if you're new to town, and if you're still worried then politely explain to the lectures concerned that your timetable means you might be a few minutes late or have to leave early if they're running late.

Most of the lecturers I've talked to have been very good about helping you deal with whatever real life comes up with to get in the way of studies.
lapetitegecko

Postby munchingfoo on Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:33 am

The worst thing for me was racing my bike from comp sci to the Buccanan and running into the lecture theatre breathing heavilly and perspiring. Neither are particularly helpful when trying to take in what a lecturer is trying to tell you.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Postby Jono on Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:46 pm

I had that problem in second year. The best thing I could recommend is to sit near the back, walk to your next lecture at your own pace, and then swan in ten minutes late like you own the place.

Its not your fault they put you down for consecutive lectures half way across town from each other. Don't feel guilty when you're a little late.

Alternatively, skive one or the other!
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Postby Hennessy on Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:26 pm

Or all of them and still pass, if it's an Art History module.
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Return to New Students! First Years!