Home

TheSinner.net

Academic Families... or lack of them...

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

Academic Families... or lack of them...

Postby clarestar90 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:52 pm

Hey! I'm a 1st year Maths student; and like a lot of 1st years I've spoken to I'm worried 'bout the whole academic family system!! I have an academic mum (who is lovely) but no academic dad... and 'cause I'm only 17 I can't go out and meet him in a pub whilst very drunk- like most of my friends have... I'm going home for Reading Week as well so starting to worry a little that I'm gonna be father-less... :( Advice anyone??????
x
clarestar90

Re: Academic Families... or lack of them...

Postby orudge on Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:15 pm

Are you part of any societies or sports clubs? It can be good to meet people through societies, and indeed, you may find yourself with a much better dad than if you just go and ask the first random drunk guy you see out!
orudge
Administrator

Postby starsandsparkles on Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:40 pm

orudge wrote:Are you part of any societies or sports clubs? It can be good to meet people through societies, and indeed, you may find yourself with a much better dad than if you just go and ask the first random drunk guy you see out!

Good advice.

You could ask your mum if she has any suitable friends, or get chatting with your friends' dads too :)
starsandsparkles

Postby Freaker on Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:52 pm

Will there be an 'Academic Orphan's Bop' this year, the Friday before Raisin Weekend?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Freaker

Postby clarestar90 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:04 pm

Netball... which'll be great for meeting guys :lol: Though I have joined the Celtic Society and RockSoc too. Most of my friends haven't heard from their academic dads since Freshers... or have heard disturbing tales about them from older students... :o Plus having an academic daughter who you can't even take into a pub isn't a great 'adopt me' point...
x
clarestar90

Postby starsandsparkles on Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:16 am

clarestar90 wrote:Netball... which'll be great for meeting guys :lol: Though I have joined the Celtic Society and RockSoc too. Most of my friends haven't heard from their academic dads since Freshers... or have heard disturbing tales about them from older students... :o Plus having an academic daughter who you can't even take into a pub isn't a great 'adopt me' point...
x

Celtic Society and RockSoc - I think you will be fine :D

Men are notoriously useless at organising anything. Don't worry about the pub thing - I can count on one hand the times I went to the pub with my dad, but we are still really good friends. We tended to just work our way through bottles of wine at his house.

Honestly, don't worry :)
starsandsparkles

Postby orudge on Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:52 am

starsandsparkles wrote:Men are notoriously useless at organising anything.

Oi, I take exception to that. :P I know many a woman who can be just as useless!

clarestar90 wrote:Netball... which'll be great for meeting guys :lol: Though I have joined the Celtic Society and RockSoc too. Most of my friends haven't heard from their academic dads since Freshers... or have heard disturbing tales about them from older students... :o Plus having an academic daughter who you can't even take into a pub isn't a great 'adopt me' point...

Woo for Rocksoc - tis good fun! Anyway, I have an academic son who is under 18 (and indeed, will still be under 18 for Raisin Weekend), but I'm sure we'll still be able to have a good time, so don't worry too much about that!
orudge
Administrator

Postby starsandsparkles on Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:45 pm

orudge wrote:
starsandsparkles wrote:Men are notoriously useless at organising anything.

Oi, I take exception to that. :P I know many a woman who can be just as useless!

:lol:
starsandsparkles

Postby Delts on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:08 pm

Heh, I've still to nab any kids. Then again I would be useless due to how busy I've been.
If you do physics, panic.
Delts

Postby Gubbins on Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:46 pm

My vote is for a cardboard sign, reading "Orphan looking for academic dad", dressing up like Oliver and hanging around outside 3rd year lectures. Failing that, how's that hall spirit going? I met my dad through my subject (astrophysics) and my mum (albeit a year late) through my academic uncle/cousin (it's complicated, don't ask); all my children were in hall with me in my 3rd year. Above all, don't be too hasty in getting yourself a dad - my daughter's still going out with me after five years. She should have known better as well - that's how her (real) parents got together!
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Return to New Students! First Years!