Home

TheSinner.net

Postgraduate Gowns

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

Postgraduate Gowns

Postby Jackie Brown on Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:55 pm

Hi! I'm a first year postgraduate, and I was wondering if we had gowns of our own? Thanks.
Jackie Brown

Re: Postgraduate Gowns

Postby Fawksie on Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:28 pm

You would wear the gown of your degree, no?
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Postby Jackie Brown on Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:34 am

Sorry, I should have phrased my question better. What I meant to ask was: For formal occasions do Postgraduates wear the traditional red gowns, or are those merely for Undergraduates? Thanks!
Jackie Brown

Postby Gubbins on Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:29 am

Yes, this would be whatever you graduated in. Can be ordered from Ede and Ravenscroft, but they're not cheap.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Postby Fawksie on Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:10 pm

Yes, the red gowns are for undergraduates (of the United College). Undergraduates in Divinity wear a black gown with violet cross.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Postby CGS on Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:26 am

Another incoming post-grad student here -so if my undergrad degree was in political science at a foreign university, and I am now working towards an MLitt from the school of management, would I wear a robe to such things as chapel services and the pier walk? If so, what robe would it be?

Thanks
CGS

Postby Fawksie on Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:15 am

Once again, you would wear the gown of your undergraduate degree.
Fawksie
Administrator

Postby guest on Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:34 pm

Fawksie wrote:Once again, you would wear the gown of your undergraduate degree.

i.e. the gown you wore during your graduation from your previous university. The red gown is the undergraduate gown.

Return to New Students! First Years!