Home

TheSinner.net

Tipping in Scotland

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

Tipping in Scotland

Postby MAC1776 on Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:04 pm

Hi everyone!

I just had a quick question regarding tipping here in Scotland. Do you tip your waiter/waitress in restaurants? Do you tip your bartender when you order a drink? Do you tip your barber after a haircut? These are all instances when we'd tip in the U.S., but I want to see how the customs differ here in Britain. Thanks a lot!
MAC1776

Re: Tipping in Scotland

Postby starsandsparkles on Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:12 pm

Yes, sometimes and no. Mostly the only time you tip in the UK is for your waiter/waitress. Some people tip in bars but it's not expected.

I can't think of any other time you'd tip.
starsandsparkles

Postby Timata on Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:25 pm

Taxi drivers
Timata

Postby Lalapenguins on Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:49 pm

Mostly but not always (definately not if rubbish service and less than Americans would probably - not sure if you are but i would guess so), Never and Never, taxi drivers i might round up to a whole figure
Lalapenguins

Postby starsandsparkles on Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:55 am

Timata wrote:Taxi drivers

Hm, really?

In St Andrews I might round up as they often round down, but I wouldn't at home.
starsandsparkles

Postby Delts on Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:27 pm

Taxi drivers are tipped about as often as bar staff. If they do an exceptional service, tip them. If not then don't.
If you do physics, panic.
Delts

Postby Guest on Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:51 pm

I tip waiters/waitresses if the service was good.
As a member of bar staff, I occassionally get tipped but most of the time I rarely do
Taxi drivers: no but might round it up
Hairdressers; not really but I do know some people who do

Postby Frank on Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:18 pm

Waiting staff: Yup. Not if they're rubbish or the place was dire and so forth. I try to aim for 10%, unless it's somewhere like the Grill House where I am almost weekly, in which case it depends on how much/little change I have in my pocket.
Taxis: I do tip them, usually only in the sense of rounding up to the nearest whole though. (£7.50->£8 etc) Usually a bit more if they're particularly good chat or go to lengths to get you there quick etc.
Bar staff: Nope, unless I'm ordering something really big or ridiculous.
Barber: Sometimes. Not necessary, but I do if it's quite good or has been a particularly pleasant experience.

Be careful though, I've encountered a number of slimy buggers that'll watch how much folks are tipping by and under-pay so that, despite tips, the bill in a restaurant will come to mysteriously the right amount. :evil:
Frank

Postby Hennessy on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:54 pm

If barstaff had a collection jar I'd tip em, in some places in London this is becoming more common now. For service usually if I'm eating with someone else, when I'm on my own then it has to be good service. Never tipped a barber, but I do tip taxi drivers as some of the old boys working in St Andrews are great banter and charge fairly for the journey (again in London if you're not getting ripped off by a minicab you're getting regimentally shafted by the black cab union dues. Buses are dangerous places at night and the tube is a forlorn joke at peak times. Sorry I just realised I was beginning a rant on the state of London Transport)

Tipping is usually expected in certain professions but use your personal discretion and the circumstances to decide when. Nothing a bit of common sense can't solve, this thread.
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Postby Cain on Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:41 pm

I tip the girls at Starbucks because they give good chat
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Postby Power Metal Dom on Mon May 04, 2009 11:42 pm

Tipping baffles me. Especially in America where it borders on begging, though understandably they expect it because of the culture, but I expect some out of the ordinary service in return, yknow if they're good fun or particularly efficient. That seems to be the case in the UK...on the whole don't tip anyone unless they especially deserve it. But I've been tipping taxi drivers when they're fumbling for 2 quid change or pizza delivery guys when the change is bugger all, but make it count otherwise tipping them 50p seems like a piss-take.
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Postby schmod on Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:22 am

Power Metal Dom wrote:Tipping baffles me. Especially in America where it borders on begging, though understandably they expect it because of the culture, but I expect some out of the ordinary service in return, yknow if they're good fun or particularly efficient. That seems to be the case in the UK...on the whole don't tip anyone unless they especially deserve it. But I've been tipping taxi drivers when they're fumbling for 2 quid change or pizza delivery guys when the change is bugger all, but make it count otherwise tipping them 50p seems like a piss-take.

It's an interesting phenomenon, and not one of my favorite aspects of my own culture.

However, generally speaking, many American waiters and waitresses are not paid -- they ARE compensated, although the amount they receive is trivial. Minimum wages for workers who are routinely tipped is about £2/hour in the US.

Therefore, it is generally the duty of the customer to pay the waitstaff an amount that they feel to be appropriate for the level of service received. Tips generally range from 15-20% of the cost of a meal.

Not all waitstaff are paid in this manner, and some do receive real wages. Staff at fast-food and take-away locations are almost always paid at or above minimum wage. (Starbucks, somewhat surprisingly, treats and pays its employees very well)

This funny cultural quirk of ours has also led many in the foodservice industry to despise Europeans.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand: Don't tip more than 10% when you're outside of the US. Small gratuities are accepted and appreciated, but certainly not necessary.
schmod

Postby mhuzzell on Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:39 pm

What they said. But also: cafes!

Tipping in cafes is nice, but optional if all you're doing is ordering a coffee -- but if you're ordering food, especially if it is full-service (particularly if it is hot food prepared on the premises), you ought to tip as though it were a restaurant.

I used to work in such a place, and have seen people eat full meals, with a group bill of about £70, and not leave a penny in tips! More commonly, people would eat said full, restaurant-style meals, and leave maybe 2% in tips. What is it about coffee that makes people think they needn't tip for the same services they'd give 10% for in a "real" restaurant?
I FOUND JESUS... he was behind the couch the whole time!
mhuzzell

Return to New Students! First Years!