Home

TheSinner.net

Freshmen 2009

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

Freshmen 2009

Postby craigb on Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:54 am

Hey Freshers of 2009!
Lets plan some stuff for our first year of university! Maybe going to a bar on the 19th (first day of orientation) leave your thoughts, and we will plan something!
Check out the facebook group too!
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho ... 613&ref=nf
craigb

Re: Freshmen 2009

Postby Delts on Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:43 am

As a side note, you aren't called Freshmen. You're called Bejant/Bejantine. This uni has history, embrace it!
If you do physics, panic.
Delts

Postby ojk6 on Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:32 pm

If I was you I'd wait until the Union release the Freshers' Week timetable.
ojk6

Postby ct3012 on Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:40 am

As well as the Union's Freshers' week timetable, I'd wait until you get to your hall of residence and find out what events they've got going on for Orientation week.

Planning events outside of those two all-powerful bodies (namely, the Union and your Hall Committee) is futile this early in the game. Trust me.
But then again, I could just be saying that to annoy people...
ct3012

Postby ojk6 on Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:32 pm

You'll also save yourself a small fortune - most halls provide copious quantities of free lash. Not being one to partake in mind altering substances these days, I am reliably informed that the libation they provide at DRA is amongst the most potent liquid to ever grace the human palate.
ojk6

Postby Jono on Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:36 pm

Halls of residence will be organizing some form of pub crawl on evenings of the first weekend (although past events showed certain individuals to be appropriately cretinous as to fail even in that simple task). I agree, you should definitely make sure you tag along to any events the halls are running in the first few days. After that, do whatever. You'll not be starved of activity to choose from.
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Postby ct3012 on Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:33 pm

Jono wrote:Halls of residence will be organizing some form of pub crawl on evenings of the first weekend (although past events showed certain individuals to be appropriately cretinous as to fail even in that simple task).

Well I know that Albany Park have had a good set of Freshers' events on the past 2 years, and I'd put good money on a good run for this year too (not that I have any inside tips or anything).
But then again, I could just be saying that to annoy people...
ct3012

Postby Guest on Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:05 am

i recommend a bit of a hall pub crawl, just turn up, drink their free booze and move on to the next hall

Postby craigb on Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:22 am

thanks for all the advice!
craigb

Postby Power Metal Dom on Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:34 am

Delts wrote:As a side note, you aren't called Freshmen. You're called Bejant/Bejantine. This uni has history, embrace it!

Protip: This is true. But people don't really use it. 'Fresher'/'First year' suffices.
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Postby orudge on Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:46 am

Power Metal Dom wrote:Protip: This is true. But people don't really use it. 'Fresher'/'First year' suffices.

But, to confirm, still not "freshmen". ;)
orudge
Administrator

Postby Al on Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:26 pm

There's nothing wrong with "first year", but anything else - that isn't "bejant" or "bejantine" - should not be used. Yes, people don't use the traditional words as much as they did. New students don't know any better. The only way to get them to do so is to remind people that we have our own traditions. Mind you, it's not made easier when people and organisations who should know better refuse to use "bejant/ine". Students' Association, I'm looking at you here.
Al

Postby Cain on Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:38 pm

Jono wrote:(although past events showed certain individuals to be appropriately cretinous as to fail even in that simple task).

Jesus Christ, I remember some painful moments in the common room as Senior Students tried to explain elaborate plans for pub crawls.

What's wrong with "I need a small group of seniors and a big group of first years, now go"
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Postby donpablo on Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:43 pm

Well the freshers week events are out on the union website now and I have to say it looks absolutely piss poor. So count me in on anything you want to plan as an alternative! A very big boo to the short changing in events this year! It's in fact worse than last years line up and well I personally think it set the tone for a poor year of events!

Saturday 19th September
An opening party, St Andrews-style...

So basically a bop *sigh*

Sunday 20th September
Featuring ‘Freaks’ – kit out in hall clothing/face paint and show your true colours at the clash of the halls. Competitions aplenty plus a guest DJ set from the guys behind last summer’s huge hit ‘The Creeps’

First of all that was not last summers huge hit. It was the summers before at best. Strictly speaking it was first released in 2003 and various versions released since but who cares. Does anyone really know any of their music? No probably not. Cheap Z list names.

Monday 21st September
Back by popular demand, Chris James returns for 2 sessions of hypnosis where you become the stars of the show… but only if you want to! (Two performances - make sure you pick the right one!)

Staple of every freshers week at any institution so no complaints.

Tuesday 22nd September
From T4, to Saturday-night TV via Radio 1 and finally to St Andrews, Vernon Kay joins us to DJ for one very special night

Oh wow I think im gonna cream in my pants!!!! My friends at Dundee Uni are gonna be so jealous! They are only getting Judge Jules and Trevor Nelson! (If you can't tell I was being sarcastic)

Wednesday 23rd September
...presents DJ Cameron & Mr Drum with a special performance from new Scottish R’n’B-sensation, S-Kay - £5 (£2.50 of every ticket donated to your designated sports club)

WHAT! 5 pounds for R'n'B! Someone is having a giraffe!

Thursday 24th September
Featuring some of the best comedy performers from this year’s Edinburgh Fringe, enjoy a laugh with us! (Two performances - make sure you pick the right one!)

Is this two performances some kind of in-joke? Can't be anyone good because there is no names mentioned.

Friday 25th September
Need we say more? The institution that is The Friday Bop returns….

*Sigh* another Friday night.

Saturday 26th September
Headlined by Fight the Bear, skank away the night to the best ska, rock and indie music we can muster. Fun GUARANTEED

Oooh a *guarantee* that sounds like a challenge to me!

Sunday 27th September
The Cutting Edge return to take you through the motions of a traditional Scottish dance, the perfect relaxed way to end the week

Could it be that this might in fact be the only genuinely good night?
donpablo

Postby Spike on Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:59 pm

So what would you put on with a limited budget for a week's worth of varied and accessible entertainment?
From Rock to Opera
Spike

Postby wild_quinine on Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:14 am

Spike wrote:So what would you put on with a limited budget for a week's worth of varied and accessible entertainment?

Boxers.
wild_quinine

Postby donpablo on Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:17 am

I was expecting that question at some point so here is my idea half thought out and ready for group mockery!

I'd be looking at getting one of the really good tribute acts. The Complete Stone Roses is one that springs to mind purely as an example but pick a band people would want to see and find their equivalent tribute act and chances are if they are half decent you have a winner at a fraction of the cost. Other examples being Oasis, Radiohead, even heard a really good Nirvana one before. Even a good local band would be better. Scout out Fat Sams Live or something.

On top of that im sure some old 90's dance acts are affordable and well worth the nostalgic trip rather than one hit wonder acts from 200x. Vengaboys, 2Unlimited, CultureBeat im sure wouldnt be too hard to arrange (any of those mid 90's euro acts) but there are better examples again out there. Maybe an early 90's rave act (clearly the prodigy would be out of the price range though). Also I would look at getting a more respectable example of a Radio 1 DJ. Seb Fontaine, Dave Pearce, Judge Jules etc these days wouldnt break the bank. In fact Steve Wright from Radio 2 gets my vote.

Every freshers needs a token celebrity and to be fair Vernon Kay will do or anyone thats done T4, Hollyoaks (seems to be the sort of grade expected). I would personally love to see Frankie Boyle make an appearence, 2 for 1 on a comedy act too :P But speaking of the comedy acts I have no idea the going rate scale for those acts but 1 actual named comedian would be a start. Russel Howard would be mint.

If the budget is that far stretched f*k it at least lets just have a 'normal' themed party. The usual super heros or pirates vs ninjas or whatever will suffice. I didnt even realise the halls had colours?! But that aside the whole stupid thing about that night with the Freaks is not everyone lives in the halls so that facepainting distraction is a bit irrelevant and just falls apart. Maybe we could throw in foam or probably not for various health and safety reasons.

Hypnotist as I said before is a given. I'd be tempted to just stick with the one thats booked or go with Alan Bates as ive seen him a few times and is a pretty safe bet. Magic act? Probably too tacky but there might be something different out there.

What about strippers? Or are they frowned upon? (I will conceed there can be male ones too for the females or differently orientated).

The ceilidh gets a thumbs up though. The only thing I wouldnt have thought of. But all the same that is the one thing there is plenty of in st andrews good ceilidhs.

Chances are I have missed out entertaining half the student population but this is what I would like to do and I havent had however long to come up with the ideas. But isn't the point in Freshers week to put on a good show? Budget is hardly a problem if you have good acts. Its not difficult getting punters through the door as I'm sure we will see regardless of the line up this year. Getting people to come back after it is a different story though.

Also LOL @ BOXERS
donpablo

Postby d_24 on Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:16 am

It's so incredibly easy to criticise, complain and bawwwwwww because you don't like what's being put on. I doubt there's ever been a freshers week that I could say met my every hope and expectation but it was still a helluva lot of fun. Just think for one second about how these things are thought about before they're even planned. You've got too many people, too many tastes to cater for and too few pounds to spend. You have to do the best you can with what you have. Whatever is put on there is going to be someone moaning because they don't like it...tough shit! No one is forcing you to be there. Requesting bigger and better at this stage is less than useless.

I'm inclined to think that half of enjoying freshers week isn't the ins and outs of events that are put on, people are meeting new people and the general atmosphere encourages enjoyment rather than what exact song is being played by whom. People in general don't give a toss, I'm sure.
Before Bauer...There Was House
d_24

Postby donpablo on Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:03 am

d_24 wrote:It's so incredibly easy to criticise, complain and bawwwwwww because you don't like what's being put on.

Oh I am so sorry I must apologise for expecting something on par with hmmmmmm pretty much every other students union across the country!!

Go look at the 2 freshers week line ups in Dundee! Even little Abertay blows the pants of this one. They actually got Dave Pearce and MoS residents. Remind me which nobodies we got again? Dundee? The aforemention Judge Jules and Trevor Nelson! Who have we got? I could look at others further afield and get comparative results but I don't have all day to make a point.

Just think for one second about how these things are thought about before they're even planned. You've got too many people, too many tastes to cater for and too few pounds to spend.

Because it is always the case that St Andrews, home to some of the richest students, obviously has the poorest union in the land! Maybe it's because it can't attract the customers? Because there is no decent acts or entertainment?! I've been involved with events in Dundee, Aberdeen and Belfat and know first hand how easy it is to organise these things on a limited budget! Getting people in the door is a different matter but it's freshers you have it on a plate! Which isn't an excuse to cut corners.

You have to do the best you can with what you have.

And yet we fail to even manage that.

Whatever is put on there is going to be someone moaning because they don't like it...tough shit! No one is forcing you to be there.

Well thats just the sort of shortsighted response I was expecting. I'm not expecting EVERYONE to like it but I'm trying to encourage events that MORE people will like. I think I am in the majority in saying that the events on at the union are poor but thats just doing a survey of all my friends. Sure some do like it but they tend not to know any better. Whoever wrote that piece in the Saint on the lamentable state of the union had it nailed down spot on! I was hoping this year might be different but it's looking grim already. If you all want me to take my money out of the union and to Dundee then fine by me.

I'm inclined to think that half of enjoying freshers week isn't the ins and outs of events that are put on, people are meeting new people and the general atmosphere encourages enjoyment rather than what exact song is being played by whom. People in general don't give a toss, I'm sure.

Perhaps not at the time but give it a couple of weeks once everyone has met their new BFF's and then everyone notices how dead the union is because nobody goes there for the non existent entertainment and then the retrospective bitching begins. Sure it's all about meeting people and all that but then hey why bother putting on any events at all we can just have a week long piss up with the jukebox on random and once the week is over just recluse to our flats for our own cheap entertainment! They do give a toss just maybe not at the time as we all know that in todays society we focus on the instant gratification of a situation.
donpablo

Postby orudge on Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:37 am

donpablo wrote:Go look at the 2 freshers week line ups in Dundee! Even little Abertay blows the pants of this one. They actually got Dave Pearce and MoS residents. Remind me which nobodies we got again?

We've actually had rather a lot of "big name" DJs over the past few years (including Judge Jules who you mentioned in your post, as well as Ministry of Sound DJs, I think). Previous freshers weeks have seen names such as Scott Mills up, too. The problem St Andrews has is that we are really quite a small university, and as such, don't have a huge amount of money to spend on things like freshers week. I'm sure the DoES could blow the entire year's budget on a fantastic freshers line-up with really big names, but then the events for the rest of the year would be nigh-on non-existent. The names may not be the biggest, but ultimately, you're still going to have 1000 drunk (I mean, er, responsible) freshers in venue 1 dancing around and enjoying themselves, and that's really what the week is all about.
orudge
Administrator

Next

Return to New Students! First Years!