Home

TheSinner.net

Arival

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

Arival

Postby Lew on Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:41 pm

I know that this has been discussed in other forums but since we have this new one I though I would breach it again. When is every one arriving? I am coming on the 18th but it seems most are coming on the 19th. Is this true? I know it is what the university suggested but what is everyone else doing? What do any older people suggest?
Lew

Re:

Postby tinker on Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:06 pm

Personally I think it's best to arrive at the first oppourtunity you have, I did this and I think it worked well. If you leave it until the last possible time to move into halls you might find that other people have already made friends or started getting to know people ... best to be one of these people and give yourself a head start ... well that's what I think anyway :)
tinker

Re:

Postby Oli on Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:39 pm

I doubt very much that you'll miss out on friends if you arrive the next day...

Halls open at 2 on the Saturday (18th Sept), for the returning students.

Buses are provided for Freshers from Edinburgh airport on the Sunday, and although there will be stuff going on on Saturday night, the main events kick off from Sunday.
Oli

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:10 pm

[s]Oli wrote on 20:39, 22nd Jul 2004:
I doubt very much that you'll miss out on friends if you arrive the next day...

Halls open at 2 on the Saturday (18th Sept), for the returning students.

Buses are provided for Freshers from Edinburgh airport on the Sunday, and although there will be stuff going on on Saturday night, the main events kick off from Sunday.

Aah, Saint Andrews, come early and come often, I frequqntly do. But seriously, whoever made the whole crazy 2 day arrival thing could well have stuffed up royally, it's going to be a crazy mess, and I might have to wait until sunday to find the woman of my dreams.
Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:59 pm

"Most" people don't come on any particular day so I would ignore any of those rumours!

If you can then come for the Saturday as many halls do a pub crawl or such like on the first night and the earlier you have your foot in the door the better to meet people.

But if you can't come to the Sunday then it's no biggie as quite a few people will show up then too.

But there is no "right" day to come just get here as soon as you can :)

Re:

Postby Oli on Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:20 am

I think that this year, most halls are running their pub crawl on the Sunday, so as to include as many people as possible.

I'll check up on that and confirm what's happening.
Oli

Re:

Postby Midget on Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:52 am

The Uni website stuff about Sunday is bollocks. Some halls are doing some stuff on Saturday, but anything important won't happen until Sunday. However the earlier you get there the more time you have to settle in.
Midget

Re:

Postby Oli on Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:33 pm

First years are highly recommended to arrive on the Sunday, as not much will be happening on the Saturday at all.
Oli

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:18 pm

[s]Oli wrote on 09:20, 23rd Jul 2004:
I think that this year, most halls are running their pub crawl on the Sunday, so as to include as many people as possible.

I'll check up on that and confirm what's happening.

Chattan is running Pizza and beer, followed by a pub crawl on Saturday, and another one on Sunday
Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby Midget on Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:36 pm

And I know Uni Hall is doing something on the Saturday. Sorry to disagree with Oli here but I definitely recommend Saturday over Sunday to freshers.

Midget, SRC Accommodation Officer (no really)
Midget

Re:

Postby tinker on Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:30 pm

I think the Uni suggested people arrive on Sunday last year too but most people ignored it, from what I remember it was much busier with arrivals on the Saturday than the Sunday .
tinker

Re:

Postby Guest on Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:56 pm

Uni Hall has plenty on the Saturday too. I would advise you to come on the sat so you can be settled for the next day :D This is usually what is advised!

Re:

Postby tramp on Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:25 am

I arrived on the sunday last year simply because it was my mum's birthday on the saturday and obviously she couldn't face the thought of her eldest 'baby' going away. i didn't feel like i really missed out on anything but i was in DRA and we stuck together for a start anyway. if you are in halls with a bigger group of people i'd recommend going on the sat to meet others on your corridor/floor.
tramp

Re:

Postby Marie55 on Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:51 pm

Now I don't know when to arrive- I keep changing my mind! I know it's not a big deal but I was interested what current St A students would advise. But opinion seems to be mixed. Anybody know if John Burnet Hall is doing anything on Sat. night?
Marie55

Re:

Postby Ewan Husami on Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:10 pm

You'll probably find the process a lot smoother if you arrive here on the Sunday
Ewan Husami

Re:

Postby joug on Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:52 pm

I would definitely recommend arriving on the Saturday, just because it gives you that extra bit of time to get to know people and the Sunday to wander about getting your bearings before Freshers week really kicks in (not that it takes very long to find you way around St Andrews!).

Having said that, my room mate didnt arrive til the Monday of Freshers week and it wasnt a problem at all, so dont worry too much about it.
joug

Re:

Postby Simon Atkins on Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:12 pm

Not sure why my computer keeps double posting.

I sounded quite annoyed in the other post it wasn't supposed to sound that way, I’m never too clear at the end of the day.
Simon Atkins

Re:

Postby Simon Atkins on Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:15 pm

Well to be clear, THIS YEAR IS A DIFFERENT SYSTEM
Last year was the first year we tried that system, running on 9 days rather than 5, people were told to move in on the Saturday. This proved to be disastrous the whole point of an earlier move in was lost.

First years are being encouraged to move in on SUNDAY. The intention being that hall committees and volunteers will get there on Saturday and set up all the activities to make the week run smoothly

This year is the next step towards a system of real orientation based upon the model that works ant many US universities. However each department of the university seems to be sending out different messages and everyone seems to be confused.

If you are a first year I would advise you to come on Sunday there will be transport for you, there will be volunteers with the information you need to know and the events will be starting.
Simon Atkins

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:37 pm

[s]Simon Atkins wrote on 20:15, 26th Jul 2004:
Well to be clear, THIS YEAR IS A DIFFERENT SYSTEM
Last year was the first year we tried that system, running on 9 days rather than 5, people were told to move in on the Saturday. This proved to be disastrous the whole point of an earlier move in was lost.

First years are being encouraged to move in on SUNDAY. The intention being that hall committees and volunteers will get there on Saturday and set up all the activities to make the week run smoothly

This year is the next step towards a system of real orientation based upon the model that works ant many US universities. However each department of the university seems to be sending out different messages and everyone seems to be confused.

If you are a first year I would advise you to come on Sunday there will be transport for you, there will be volunteers with the information you need to know and the events will be starting.

A message so important it was posted twice.
Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby Midget on Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:38 pm

I still beg to differ.

Arrive on the Saturday, unpack etc and then have fun on Sunday.
Midget

Next

Return to New Students! First Years!