Home

TheSinner.net

Sallies

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

Re:

Postby Don on Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:48 pm

[s]Unregisted User wrote on 17:39, 31st Aug 2004:
how many triple rooms are there??? i'm in A26. do you know if that's a triple room?

As far as I know from last year, triple rooms were
A9, A10, A15, A21, A25
B9, B10, B15, B21, B25
C9, C10 - possibly more, I'm not sure.

Pretty much the rooms with the bay windows, and the rooms at, for def one corner of the building, not so sure about the other corners, don't think so tho. I don't know if they are doing triple rooms again this year in Sallies, if you got a room number ??C tho, then it means it will be a triple.

Hope this helps, and anyone knows better please feel free to correct me.
Don

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:02 pm

[s]Unregisted User Hez wrote on 03:08, 29th Aug 2004:
Are you sure 'A' floor is the top floor? :( I was looking forward to having a ground floor room. I'm in A22 with Emilie the frenchy, as i'm sure regular Sinner freshers will already know lol :)

A is indeed not the top floor, but rather the first floor, b is the second etc.

[hr]
Live by the sword, die by the arrow.
Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tweedle-Dum

triples

Postby Bkb on Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:46 pm

What are the triple rooms like? How big are they? I take it they have all the same furniture and everything as the doubles?
Bkb

Re:

Postby Buffy on Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:10 pm

[s]Unregisted User Bkb wrote on 14:21, 1st Sep 2004:
What are the triple rooms like? How big are they? I take it they have all the same furniture and everything as the doubles?

They are quite large . . . well the one's at the ends are, bays are harder to work with bc one wall is not flat. When I was there those rooms were still doubles and I was quite jealous. I would guestimate that in the end rooms, you still average the same amount of square feet per person as you do in a double, or at least it would have to be pretty close. Also, I think furniture is pretty standard, meaning that you have a bed, desk, nightstand and tackboard(?), but the storage does vary from room to room and hall to hall, but generally you will have your own wardrobe or share a closet, and there should be some shelves for each person too, regardless of what type of room you're in.
Buffy

Do Sallies rooms have tv cables/ hookups

Postby st. stephen on Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:03 am

Does anyone know if the rooms in Sallies have cable/hookups for tvs? or is the only tv in the common space? Just wondering because I was thinking of bringing a television but if there aren't hookup in the rooms like New Hall then it wouldn't be worth it, just wondering, thanks
st. stephen

Re:

Postby Don on Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:36 am

[s]Unregisted User st. stephen wrote on 00:58, 2nd Sep 2004:
Does anyone know if the rooms in Sallies have cable/hookups for tvs?

There is a TV hook up in the Basement for the TV there, and the TV in the Common Room also. The bedrooms don't have an aerial point, however a small portable aerial should work fine, just remember to get your TV license. You should be able to pick up the 5 terestial channels fine with that, don't know if Freeview works with those aerials tho.
Don

Re:

Postby andrewdalgleish on Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:24 am

[s]Don wrote on 13:36, 2nd Sep 2004: don't know if Freeview works with those aerials tho.

it doesn't.
andrewdalgleish

Re:

Postby Hezza on Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:34 am

[s]Unregisted User Emilie* wrote on 12:14, 29th Aug 2004:
lol
Yeah that's right the Frenchy is with Hez the Scot in A22. Sorry Hez, more stairs to climb..get your circulation going, what are you complaining about?! LOL

hehehe

less than 3 weeks to go!!

Hi Em, just noticed this message! Well, apparently it's only one set of stairs to climb so my lazy self won't have to worry ;) Nah, but seriously, I was just thinking about how annoying it would be to trail up and down lots of staircases with all our luggage!

See ya, Frenchy!

P.S. - To the people who have stayed in Sallies before - are the wardrobes a decent size? Judging by the photos on the St A site, they're tiny! :'O
Hezza

Re:

Postby Don on Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:03 pm

[s]Unregisted User Hezza wrote on 02:31, 6th Sep 2004:
P.S. - To the people who have stayed in Sallies before - are the wardrobes a decent size? Judging by the photos on the St A site, they're tiny! :'O

Every room has a built in wardrobe/shelving unit which is a pretty good size, but in the twin rooms there is also a single stand alone wardrobe unit which is quite deeps and holds a reasonable ammount. My advice is to do what I did and get there as early as possible so to get to the room before your roommate so you can pick the best bed/wardrobe/desk. A22 is quite a large twin room compared to some of the others, I woudl recommend taking the right hand side of the room, you would get the builtin wardrobe and bookcase, a corner bed. The window there is big enough to have both desks at the window, and you have a great view of the Sallies Lawn.

Hope this helps :-)
Don

triples

Postby madcat on Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:18 am

Does anyone know for sure if there will be triples in Sallies this year? Like, has anyone been asigned a room number with a small letter "c" at the end? Also, are American students typically paired up with one another, or does the university try to mix things up a little? I hope.
madcat

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:25 am

The famous triples were concieved for my first year, when a famous student arrived to St Andrews, and created a flurry of applications.
Some of the 'rooms' used to be reading rooms and computer rooms, but are now broken up with dividers. Hmm.
But hall is good, and if you can get on alright with your roommates, then you'll have a great time.
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

A few questions

Postby will on Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:42 am

What about other nationalities besides U.K. and american in sallies, do they exist? In any case I was just wondering if any past residents know what room c4 is like? top floor (C) rooms in general? thanks
will

A few questions

Postby will on Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:42 am

What about other nationalities besides U.K. and american in sallies, do they exist? In any case I was just wondering if any past residents know what room c4 is like? top floor (C) rooms in general? thanks
will

Re:

Postby Don on Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:27 pm

[s]Don wrote on 10:06, 29th Aug 2004:

[s]Unregisted User Oliver wrote on 17:40, 27th Aug 2004:[i]
Im an American who is in shared room c4b.

Room C4 is a larger twin room on the top floor at the corner of one of the sections looking over Younger Hall, basically, a great room for making lots of noise in and nobody really to disturb. I can also tell you that your next door neighbour is a 2nd year Slovenian male (so in answer to your question, yes otehr nationalities do exist besides UK and US).

If you are not Oliver looks like your roomate has already posted and has left his email adreess on this thread.

[/i]
Don

Re:

Postby Tom on Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:58 pm

Hey I'm in Sallies this year

when do you find out your room number
Is it after you confirm you will take the place up with them in the letter that came in the entrants pack
Tom

Re:

Postby Guest on Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:26 pm

Neither. It's in the pack which told you you were in Sallies. Look at the address you were given. Eg- SS/C23a

Re:

Postby Camills on Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:27 pm

[s]Unregisted User will wrote on 13:16, 7th Sep 2004:

.. I'm a Canadian and I'm staying in Sallies!
Camills

A15

Postby Bkb on Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:27 pm

Anyone know what room A15 is like?
Bkb

Re:

Postby Don on Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:28 pm

[s]Unregisted User Bkb wrote on 11:13, 10th Sep 2004:
Anyone know what room A15 is like?

A15 is on the first floor, it is one of the larger shared rooms which is right above the front door. I think it was a triple room last year
Don

Re:

Postby Lauren on Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:21 pm

.. I'm a Canadian and I'm staying in Sallies!
[/i]

I'm Canadian too... from toronto. where are you from?
Lauren

PreviousNext

Return to New Students! First Years!