Home

TheSinner.net

...packing...

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

...packing...

Postby ohjoy on Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:13 am

So it's approximately three weeks until I'm expected to arrive, and I still have no idea what I should bring (so I thought I'd ask people who probably know). As a first-year student from the USA, I was planning to bring something like three suitcases, containing mostly clothes, and a laptop...
But then I opened a random college book and saw a horrific list of what you should bring to college, including but not limited to: extension cords, staplers, flashlights, a thesaurus, sweaters, long johns, etc. I realize that materials are most likely purchasable (is a word?) in the town, but that overwhelming list inspired the thought that maybe there are some things I simply cannot leave the United States without.
Any thoughts?
ohjoy

Re:

Postby Buffy on Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:55 am

I'm a 4th year from the states, and I would recommend bringing as little as you can. You can always have more stuff mailed to you later, but the storage in most of the rooms in Halls is very limited, so I wouldnt recommend bringing gobs of stuff. As a general rule, think of the amount of storage/space you have in your bedroom at home, and divide that by 2 and that's about what you will have in StA.

Since you're from the US, obviously it wouldn't make sense to bring stuff like extension cords or most other electrical items.

Clothes to wear to class, some exercise or outdoor clothes, something nice-ish and a DJ would probably cover your bases.

I don't think that, besides CD's and your laptop, that you would need to bring much else besides clothes bc you can get just about everything else in StA or dundee.
Buffy

Re:

Postby Simon Atkins on Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:30 pm

I didn’t bring my CD’s as you could just rip them to MP3 and play them through your computer. It saves on space but also, avoids the risk of loss damage in transit or while you’re here. I would also say don’t bring electrical items for several reasons, if you want to get an idea what some thing will cost to buy here have a look at www.argos.co.uk this isn’t a recommendation to buy stuff from them, but it will give you an indication of the price of things.
Simon Atkins

Return to New Students! First Years!