Home

TheSinner.net

Bands for freshers week

Welcome to the Union message board. Here's your opportunity to tell us what you think of what we're doing on your behalf. Enjoy! - Oli Walker, Head of Media, Marketing and Design, http://www.YourUnion.netPlease post any requests for advice (about anything) on The Sinner's ADVICE board. Ta!

Bands for freshers week

Postby MixMasterMike on Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:46 am

Surely there must be some washed-up hasbeens with cult appeal and at least 1 good song that could be aquired to play a freshers week/random gig for less money than ud think, eg coolio, mc hammer, the proclaimers etc. I saw coolio on some big brother show last year, so he cant be to picky about where he appers/plays. Also, godfathers of punk rock The Misfits will play anywhere (inc your living room etc) as long as you pay their travel costs, might be a bit out of the union's budget but still it an idea. We need someone better than the kiddies tv presenters from last time.
MixMasterMike

Re:

Postby Guest on Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:33 am

Proclaimers are expensive but if you asked nicely and gave them publicity and appealed to them saying it's your local university then maybe they might be swayed? but they are extremely busy.

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:08 pm

I'm working on it!

If anyone is interested in music in St Andrews, you're more than welcome to join Ents Crew and Music Fund. Ents Crew helps setup all the evenrs run in the Union building and thus get to have the most input into what events are run. Music Fund exists to encourage student music in St Andrews and to create links to other universities.
Check out the Union website www.yourunion.net and www.st-and.ac.uk/~ents for more information.
Keep in mind that Oli WILL be changing the Union's website so if it doesn't make sense right now, it's because he's still working on it.

Bonnie Ryder
Director of Services
Bonnie

Re:

Postby NeilSJFC1884 on Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:59 pm

How dare you refer to the proclaimers as "has-beens"! Or even worse catogarise them with mc hammer and coolio!!!!!
Don't tick the void box. Yeah its labeled "Conservative" this year....
NeilSJFC1884

Re:

Postby someone on Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:08 pm

[s]NeilSJFC1884 wrote on 14:59, 23rd Jul 2004:
How dare you refer to the proclaimers as "has-beens"! Or even worse catogarise them with mc hammer and coolio!!!!!

Folks, Hammer is in a league of his own. The Genie Trousers are evidence of that.

[hr]

Disco Inferno.
someone

Re:

Postby Julianne on Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:14 pm

[s]someone wrote on 16:08, 23rd Jul 2004:[i]

Folks, Hammer is in a league of his own. The Genie Trousers are evidence of that.

..Yeah Preston - you should get some of those...p.s. check your email Mr Byrne!
Julianne

Open mic

Postby Director of Services on Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:23 pm

Er... and Coolio is coming
just not during Orientation Week.

And the other bands, for during Orientation Week is a closely guarded secret for just yet.

(oh my! I actually finally publicly say that Coolio is coming!!! All other mentionings of it happened because I told 4 people and word spread from there or the very simple post "you union: do stuff" on the Coolio thread.)
But don't worry, all will be revealed, once I tell those 4 people. That seemed to work last time. ;-)
Director of Services

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:40 pm

which 4?
Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby Paranoid on Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:13 pm

could freshers week be such a closely guarded secret that even the Union dont know about it? :op
..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
Paranoid

Re:

Postby Director of Services on Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:54 am

Now, you are paranoid.

And Oli is working around the clock to get the publicity ready for all the trading departments, ents included, and societies and welfare.

He is a god, may I add.
And it's his birthday, incidentally.
Director of Services

Re:

Postby Peaches on Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:10 pm

As Oli already knows, I truly adore him and I know that everyone is working very hard to sort Freshers week, and indeed the entire semester, out...

BUT

It would be really nice if we knew what was going on. Especially so those of us that have to work can make sure we ask for strategic nights off. There are certain things I refuse to attend even if I am being paid. :)
Peaches

Re:

Postby Guest on Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:56 am

I heard that the proclaimers were playing in Glasgow for their freshers week....*jealous of friend that will get 2 see them there* but if they are already in glasgow im sure they can come for a detour to st andrews lolol!

Re:

Postby Mohawk on Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:09 pm

[s]Peaches wrote on 14:10, 23rd Aug 2004:
As Oli already knows, I truly adore him and I know that everyone is working very hard to sort Freshers week, and indeed the entire semester, out...

BUT

It would be really nice if we knew what was going on. Especially so those of us that have to work can make sure we ask for strategic nights off. There are certain things I refuse to attend even if I am being paid. :)

good thinking, i may avoid some nights

( Bonnie don't get a DJ in, remember the trouble with pat sharp last year..)

[hr]
Mohawk

NOTE: the views expressed in this post are not the views of St Andrews Students Association, and merely the Opinion of the Poster
Mohawk

Re:

Postby niall on Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:34 pm

[s]Mohawk wrote on 19:09, 24th Aug 2004:
( Bonnie don't get a DJ in, remember the trouble with pat sharp last year..)

I somehow think she might remember the problems with Pat sharp, and anyway, Judge Jules was a DJ, his two support DJs were, suprisingly, DJs, and the dude from belle and sebastian who played between the bands before Snow patrol was, again, a DJ....

[s]I just wanna be a drummer..... :P[/s]
niall

Re:

Postby Slash wannabe on Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:14 pm

I dont get it, why not announce it just now if you know whos playing? You'd get more publicity instead of keeping it all a big "secret".

[hr]IMAGE:www.pushposters.co.uk/new/thumbs/a/S_a06015.jpg
IMAGE:www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~es54/images/slashlogo.gif
[i:3tscad2j]One step from lashing out at you again[/i:3tscad2j]
Slash wannabe

Re:

Postby Cain on Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:30 pm

I agree with Niall; the pat Sharp thing suggest one piece of advice:

Bonnie don't get Pat Sharp in, remember the trouble with pat sharp last year...

[hr]
I will diminish, and go into fourth year, and remain Cain
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Thackary on Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:36 pm

Toby Anstis did a great gig (and he stayed long after Pat Sharp left) that was a good night, despite Pat Sharpe boasting about how he kept shagging the Funhouse twins...
Thackary

Re:

Postby elpedro999 on Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:14 am

I heard there were rumours of idlewild coming in freshers week! is this true! i know so many ppl who want to see them!! would be such a great night!!!! if they aren't already coming star a campaign!!! lol
Pete
elpedro999

Re:

Postby Mohawk on Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:41 am

sadly idlewild are oot of the country i think.

niall, if you want to be a drummer you can have a shot of my drum kit if i bring it up this year.

[hr]
[s]quarterstaff wrote on 17:45, 27th Aug 2004:
i apologise to you all, but only mohawk is getting free drinks :P)
Mohawk

Re:

Postby val on Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:48 am

How about getting all of Belle and Sebastian this year? It doesn't look like they're on tour....

Band manager: neil@ banchory.net
val

Next

Return to The Students' Association (Union)