Home

TheSinner.net

summertime at the union

Welcome to the Union message board. Here's your opportunity to tell us what you think of what we're doing on your behalf. Enjoy! - Oli Walker, Head of Media, Marketing and Design, http://www.YourUnion.netPlease post any requests for advice (about anything) on The Sinner's ADVICE board. Ta!

summertime at the union

Postby a magistrand on Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:56 am

Hey sabs,
I was wondering what you are all up to in the union this summer. Any interesting projects, plans etc?? Also, mr president, how is the union dealing with the possible sale of hamilton hall??
a magistrand

Re:

Postby Oli on Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:03 am

The main project of the summer is planning for the rest of the year, with special attention paid in particular to Orientation.

There's loads of events taking place over the summer too, so we're working on a schedule for that.

I'm currently working on the Union's website (you'll see changes soon), plus putting together a sort of "Freshers' Guide" to St Andrews.
Oli

Re:

Postby Representation @ Your Uni on Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:08 am

At the moment I'm spending most of my time working on sections of the new student guidebook. When I'm not doing that I'm getting things ready for orientation, ensuring that there are condom distributors covering all the halls, organising the night bus and lots of other little things.

If anybody's got any problems regarding accommodation, education, etc, or if you just want a chat, please don't hesitate to pop in. Thanks to one of my predecessors, my office has a percolator so if you're after some fair trade tea, coffee or hot chocolate, my office is the place to come.
Alex Yabroff
President
Students' Association
St Andrews
(01334 46) 2700
pres@st-andrews.ac.uk
Representation @ Your Uni

Re:

Postby someone on Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:26 pm

Question:

Did the Overseas Society ever end up giving Student Support & The Union anything for orientation week?

Preston
someone

Re:

Postby EviLTwiN on Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:40 am

EviLTwiN

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:15 pm

Sorry, I wanted to post htis under my Director of Services account, but it doesn't seem to liek me at the moment.

Basically my day is full with planning and running events over the summer (there are lots of students in town), running discos for schoolchildren 4 nights a week (they're renting out one of the venues and with it comes my magnificent DJ skills), making sure the major summer projects are finished (like improvments to the Beaton's area), and organising the events for Orientation Week. This year, Orientation won't just be boring matriculation in the day and drinking at night. Instead, we're going to have the broadest range of events possible throughout the day and night. Jazz cafes, live bands, bouncy castles (or bucking bronco, haven't ordered it yet), garden parties, discos, theatre, fayres, and all sorts of stuff.

If you would like to suggest anything, I am all ears.
doserv@st-and.ac.uk
01334 462700
Bonnie

Re:

Postby Al on Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:58 pm

"...running discos for schoolchildren 4 nights a week"

They're not Spanish, are they? They always used to be Spanish....

[hr]Life is too important to be taken seriously.
Al

Re:

Postby Midget on Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:59 am

There will still be drinking in the night during Orientation week though? And during the day. But that stuff sounds great Bonnie, bouncy castle especially, and Jazz. Am very much looking forward to it all.
Midget

Re:

Postby magistrand on Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:46 pm

and our president?? how does he fill his day. and what about hamilton??
magistrand

Re:

Postby Midget on Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:09 pm

He is actually doing stuff about Hamilton at the moment although it was of course carefully timed to come out just when he started and was supposed to be training for the job. Anyway what exactly do you mean by "what about hamilton?". I mean should the president try to stop the whole sale by himself like some kind of superhero? Or should he be concerned with the replacement? Should he be trying to be diplomatic with the uni? or should be tell they're all cunts for trying to sell it?
Midget

Re:

Postby magistrand on Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:27 am

Midget,
What was meant by my curiosity regarding hamilton was simple. As a student I am concerned that the university is selling off one of its most precious, and indeed most recognizable asset. I certainly do not think of our president as a superhero, quite the opposite actually, though I know he is a fellow is cares dearly for our university. Perhaps an email attachment in the wed. memos, or a posting on the union website, or some communication to the students regarding the university's timetable is in order. 95% of the student body probably have no idea the building may be sold, as Im not sure of too many who scoure the uni's press releases. This is a major issue, and I just hope that the 'things' psi is doing about it include representing the views of not only current students, but many alumni as well.
Having said that, do you serve as the voice for simon?? some form of midget minion perhaps? only joking, but your response to my query sounded a bit harsh.
magistrand

Re:

Postby Midget on Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:48 am

Yeah sorry I probably thought you were another hack-basher or something.

On the point about students being told about Hamilton, well they were all sent an email on about the 9th July saying exactly what was going on with Hamilton from Derek Watson. So all students had to do was look at their email.
Midget

hamilton hall

Postby Hamish on Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:54 pm

didnt get that email and yes i did check. anyway i do remember reading that as part of the deal that is putting up residence prices that all residences would remain in university ownership and management in the long term. was this clause removed without telling anyone? and the timing of the announcement - just after everyone leaves for the summer and not there to complain - dodgy? It also seems to me that what the university needs more of is central accommodation - those halls have the most demand - but what they are proposing is to reduce that and increase accommodation on the outskirts. also the price increases due to halls making losses - surely instead of putting up prices they could reduce expenditures - such as cleaners who from my experience spend at least 50% of their time talking to residents not actually cleaning. there must be more wastage such as this. A final point concerning hamilton hall is the community that develops their each year producing men and women of high quality. in my time their i knew no one that dropped out and everyone liked it there - would this be the same in some replacement? and where would the proceeds go - would it be to the management department who seems to be getting a lot of investment.
Hamish

Re:

Postby Representation @ Your Uni on Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:58 pm

I believe that the agreement was that the residence system would remain within the university.
Alex Yabroff
President
Students' Association
St Andrews
(01334 46) 2700
pres@st-andrews.ac.uk
Representation @ Your Uni

Re:

Postby Midget on Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:34 pm

Hamish, thats exactly how I feel.

[hr]IMAGE:img9.imgspot.com/u/04/241/18/160019.jpg
Midget

Hamilton hall

Postby hamish on Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:40 pm

Well if that was the agreement then why is it even an issue if the university has agreed not to sell. Was this "promise" just tabled so that they could increase residence prices until they were offered lots of money for Hamilton hall and then break it. It seems to me that the university wants to have it both ways - make concessions to get what they want and then not think themselves bound to them. A good lesson for all students here - when you go into business or whatever awaits graduates - screw over everyone and have no respect for anyone.
hamish

Return to The Students' Association (Union)