Home

TheSinner.net

im starting in sept -help, well not really!?

Welcome to the Union message board. Here's your opportunity to tell us what you think of what we're doing on your behalf. Enjoy! - Oli Walker, Head of Media, Marketing and Design, http://www.YourUnion.netPlease post any requests for advice (about anything) on The Sinner's ADVICE board. Ta!

im starting in sept -help, well not really!?

Postby kenny on Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:20 am

yeah, this is kenny i'm moving to , scotland all the way from england in 39 days or something - whats it like which societies shud i join??? well, email me back or something, i'd like some imput into this, well im bladded in all honesty, but thats a longer story
kenny

Re:

Postby sarah on Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:56 am

hey, i'm in the same boat as you...going up from england. i'd say join societies you're interested in. go to the freshers fair and see what there is on offer...i wouldn't stress too much about it til you get there! :-)
sarah

Re:

Postby D Tail on Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:10 pm

I think you'll find being from England is not as big deal as you seem to make it considering the majority of students by far are from England.
D Tail

from the USA

Postby Maura on Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:48 am

hey all
i'm moving to Scotland from Washington, DC. i dont know what to bring, or what to expect. is anyone just doing a freshman year abroad?
Maura

Re:

Postby sparkle on Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:22 pm

it's cool, it was my first year last year, and i had no idea what to expect, but i'm telling you , i wouldn't have gone anywhere else now i'm here. there are loadsa people from everywhere, england, usa, but no matter, you'll have some great friends in no time, just talk to everyone in freshers week - don't be shy!!!
sparkle

Re:

Postby Nikoli on Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:23 pm

"i'm moving to Scotland from Washington, DC. i dont know what to bring, or what to expect"

Hey I'm moving up to St Andy's from Glasgow and am very excited and a teensy bit scared too. Moving from Washington's a different matter! What to bring? Warm clothes. What to expect? Cold weather. Easy peasy. You're gonna love it kiddo! Nic x
Nikoli

Re:

Postby Tom on Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:00 am

[s]Unregisted User kenny wrote on 01:10, 13th Aug 2004:
yeah, this is kenny i'm moving to , scotland all the way from england in 39 days or something - whats it like which societies shud i join??? well, email me back or something, i'd like some imput into this, well im bladded in all honesty, but thats a longer story

Hey there I'm moving from England too- London actually. My advice- do what I do, you can't go wrong with a couple of cases of beer, your music and a laptop. Maybe some clothes as well but really the important things above will pretty much sort you out
Tom

Re:

Postby Maura on Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:04 pm

[s]Unregisted User Nikoli wrote on 10:09, 3rd Sep 2004:
"i'm moving to Scotland from Washington, DC. i dont know what to bring, or what to expect"

Hey I'm moving up to St Andy's from Glasgow and am very excited and a teensy bit scared too. Moving from Washington's a different matter! What to bring? Warm clothes. What to expect? Cold weather. Easy peasy. You're gonna love it kiddo! Nic x

Thanks!! I hope I do enjoy myself. I lived in Glasgow for a year, and thats where all of my family lives just now. where abouts are you from? I lived in bearsden, but now live in DC.
Maura

Freshman year abroad

Postby quinaelo on Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:05 pm

I am just doing a FYA, from the States. That is the plan at least, but who knows what'll ensue. My screen name on aol instant messenger is dancinanci47, so if you can, fellow FYA, im me.
quinaelo

Re:

Postby Buffy on Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:27 pm

As far as joining socs/clubs goes, I would not recommend paying them at the fayre, unless you have joined before and know you want to join again. I think I must have joined 8 socs in first year and participated in one, but I paid all of them the 2 or 3 quid, which was a waste of money.

Any good soc (and most sports clubs) should allow you to go (at the very least) once or twice to see if you like what they are doing before you pay them, and I would definitely recommend taking advantage of this.
Buffy

FYA...maybe?

Postby Maura on Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:44 pm

[s]Unregisted User quinaelo wrote on 00:10, 6th Sep 2004:
I am just doing a FYA, from the States. That is the plan at least, but who knows what'll ensue. My screen name on aol instant messenger is dancinanci47, so if you can, fellow FYA, im me.

i am considering now just doing my freshman year abroad. i think thats all i really want to do, and then come back to the states for the rest of my 3 years. where abouts in america are you from? I live in DC.
My IM is MauraColette
Maura

Societies

Postby Hamish on Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:50 pm

if you 're going to join one club make it the shinty team. we play the sport poorly but drink very well. Come join us you'll meet people from all over the world and have lots of fun. Also our Ball is the best.
Hamish

Re:

Postby Buffy on Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:26 pm

And 5 years from now your liver will stop functioning. Fun!
Buffy

Return to The Students' Association (Union)