Home

TheSinner.net

Undergrad gowns

Welcome to the Union message board. Here's your opportunity to tell us what you think of what we're doing on your behalf. Enjoy! - Oli Walker, Head of Media, Marketing and Design, http://www.YourUnion.netPlease post any requests for advice (about anything) on The Sinner's ADVICE board. Ta!

Undergrad gowns

Postby sarah on Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:56 am

why do you need them? when are where do you get them? and how much do they cost? thanx! :-)
sarah

Re:

Postby Cain on Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:18 pm

[s]Unregisted User sarah wrote on 08:28, 22nd Aug 2004:
why do you need them? when are where do you get them? and how much do they cost? thanx! :-)

you don't really need the; they're just nice to have. gowns are worn at hall formal meals, chapel services, the pier walk after chapel (i must be the only person to do the pier walk but not go to chapel, but there's nothing wrong with that. i think), and are "welcomed" by the debating society.

At none of these events are gowns compulsory: you won't be refused entry if you aren't wearing a gown.

it's just nice to have them, and they're also used to hang your raisin string (a gift from your academic mother) on.

there will be a sale in the union of second hand gowns (where i got mine for about £60) throughout pre-sesh, but they can also be bought first hand for a bit more (£100?)

i didn't want to get one initially, but caved in because my parents wanted me to have one, and i love it. when you're a first year you wear it so that your shoulders are enormous, and when you're walking down the street at a fair pace, and the wind picks up, it's a very cool feeling.

hope that that answers your questions

[hr]
I will diminish, and go into fourth year, and remain Cain
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:48 pm

I think they look really cool, honestly.
And they keep you warm in winter.
and it's a fun tradition.
and the townspeople LOVE them. Seriously, they wonder why we dont' all wear them all the time. they think they're great.
Bonnie

Re:

Postby Association President on Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:17 am

There will be a gown sale on the top floor of the union in the Salad bowle in freshers week. Both new and second (and 3rd, 4th, 5th....) hand.

[hr]
Simon Atkins
Association President
Students' Association
St Andrews
(01334 46) 2700
Alex Yabroff
President
Students' Association
St Andrews
(01334 46) 2700
pres@st-andrews.ac.uk
Association President

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:35 pm

[s]Bonnie wrote on 23:48, 24th Aug 2004:
I think they look really cool, honestly.
And they keep you warm in winter.
and it's a fun tradition.
and the townspeople LOVE them. Seriously, they wonder why we dont' all wear them all the time. they think they're great.

Gowns are cool, But only Tweedle-Dee wears them at crazy times. Usually all of sunday, and Wednesday

[hr]
Live by the sword, die by the arrow.
Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby Thackary on Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:34 pm

I also used to wear mine to the pier walk, but I never went to chapel.

I was there at the "last ever pier walk" (before the pier was closed down, fixed, and then subsequently re-opened).

It still amuses me that to mark the closing of the pier (to repair it as its structure was weak), more students turned out than ever before, subjecting the pier to more stress than it had had in its history!
Thackary

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:47 am

why do you need them?

You don't.

when are where do you get them?

Whenever you want or if you want and from wherever has them at the time.[/i]

and how much do they cost? thanx! :-)

Depends where you get them. At least half the undergrad population seem to like the free version the best - ie not buying one!

Re:

Postby dominique on Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:47 am

you don't need one at all. i have survived 3 years without one and i'm glad i didn't waste my money. you won't wear it. if you do wear one, you stick out like a sore thumb.
dominique

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:47 am

[s]Bonnie wrote on 23:48, 24th Aug 2004:

Except from the huge number that roll their eyes at the sight of them. At least they don't find them as amusing as the tourists do I suppose...

Re:

Postby sarah on Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:47 am

thanx for all the info :-)
sarah

Gowns

Postby madamefield on Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:21 pm

there will be a sale in the union of second hand gowns (where i got mine for about £60) throughout pre-sesh, but they can also be bought first hand for a bit more (£100?)

It cost me £120 last year for a new gown.
Britain, Britain, Britain. Land of technological achievements.

We've had running water for over ten years, an underground tunnel that links us to Peru and we invented the cat.
madamefield

Re:

Postby Donkeyballs on Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:22 pm

[s]Unregisted User dominique wrote on 07:14, 25th Aug 2004:
you don't need one at all. i have survived 3 years without one and i'm glad i didn't waste my money. you won't wear it. if you do wear one, you stick out like a sore thumb.

i wore my gown with pride, and I recommend that you do buy one. you don't have to be stuffy and uptight when you're wearing it!
also, it helps keep you warm when out and about in winter. well worth it!
Donkeyballs

History of the Gown

Postby Hamish on Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:53 pm

The gown originated so that townsfolk could be easily distinguishable from students - for whom it was compulsory to wear them. This was to allow bars, etc. to easily tell who they could sell alcohol to. To this day, you may well be refused service if you are wearing a gown. Up until a couple of decades ago gowns were used a lot more than they are now for exams, etc.
Hamish

Return to The Students' Association (Union)