Home

TheSinner.net

Signing in to the Union

Welcome to the Union message board. Here's your opportunity to tell us what you think of what we're doing on your behalf. Enjoy! - Oli Walker, Head of Media, Marketing and Design, http://www.YourUnion.netPlease post any requests for advice (about anything) on The Sinner's ADVICE board. Ta!

Signing in to the Union

Postby Guest on Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:11 am

Myself and some friends, all St Andrews graduates, are thinking of making a nostalgic trip to the town, after not having set foot in the place for some years. I was wondering what the procedure would be for former students to get into the Union on an evening, as we have this weird idea that it may be fun!!!

Re:

Postby Director of Services on Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:11 pm

You can buy a life membership. £10. Just go to the General Office on the middle floor between 9:30am and 4:30pm.

Then a life member can sign in 2 guests. You can sign them in before 11pm except for on weekends when you have to sign them in before 4:45 on Friday.
Director of Services

Re:

Postby annonymous1 on Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:23 pm

[s]Director of Services wrote on 19:11, 25th Mar 2005:
You can buy a life membership. £10. Just go to the General Office on the middle floor between 9:30am and 4:30pm.

Then a life member can sign in 2 guests. You can sign them in before 11pm except for on weekends when you have to sign them in before 4:45 on Friday.

or get someone else to sign you in the afternoon of your trip - it'll cost them 50pence or a quid or something.

i suppose it would depend on how many times you would want to be frequenting the union again. i think the DoS is looking for a quick buck!
annonymous1

Re:

Postby Director of Services on Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:53 pm

Lifetime membership gets them and their signed-in guests much more easily than trying to get themselves signed-in. And technically, guests cannot purchase anything in the building because they are not members.

Plus, if you were having a nostalgic trip, would you want to stand out in the freezing cold and rain begging passersby to sign you in? Would the passersby want to? The person signing in is personally responsible for their guests and I know I wouldn't want to let some stranger run around willy-nilly, putting MY membership at risk!

Plus, one lifetome membership gets you in for the rest of your life! Even after 11pm.
Director of Services

Re:

Postby Bread Roll on Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:03 pm

Quoting Director of Services from 19:11, 25th Mar 2005

A tenner doesn't seem like very much really. Do you have to be an alumnus of St. A or can anyone just pop in and get one? Not that it even affects me for a few years yet but you know, I like to be in the know, as it were.

[hr]

You're just an acid-junkie, college-flunkie, dirty puppy daddy bastard
Bread Roll

Re:

Postby Director of Services on Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:40 pm

To buy a lifetime membership, one has to have matriculated 3 times at this university.
Director of Services

Re:

Postby niall on Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:18 pm

Quoting Director of Services from 22:40, 12th Apr 2005
To buy a lifetime membership, one has to have matriculated 3 times at this university.

or have graduated

[hr]

do you have a tastyspoon?

http://www.tastyspoon.com/forum

IMAGE:www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg
niall

Re:

Postby Association President on Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:29 am

Quoting Director of Services from 22:40, 12th Apr 2005

or be a member of the general council.

[hr]

Simon Atkins
President
Students' Association
St Andrews
(01334 46) 2700
pres@st-andrews.ac.uk
Alex Yabroff
President
Students' Association
St Andrews
(01334 46) 2700
pres@st-andrews.ac.uk
Association President

Re:

Postby BDW on Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:40 pm

Is it possible to send a cheque or other form of payment for the life membership rather than turning up in personam?

Sadly the constraints of work (particularly if it is consequently necessary to fly up on a Friday evening for a weekend stay) make it rather difficult to get to the union within the hours mentioned above.

I would appreciate any advice that you might be able to provide.
BDW

Re:

Postby Guest on Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:40 pm

Thank you to all who responded. I think I can safely say that I don't wish to loiter outside the Union accosting innocent passers by to be signed in. As for putting someone's membership at risk, rest assured that we are all respectable members of society now ;)!

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:20 pm

Would it be possible to send a cheque for £10 (?) to the General Office along with a passport photo and a stamped, self-addressed envelope and thereby be granted life membership and be sent the card/certificate without the necessity of appearing in person?

Much obliged for any advice.

Re:

Postby Oli on Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:53 am

Yes! Make sure you include information about your matriculation number and years of study at St Andrews
Oli

Re:

Postby Guest on Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:38 pm

Quoting from 10:18, 27th Apr 2005
Would it be possible to send a cheque for £10 (?) to the General Office along with a passport photo and a stamped, self-addressed envelope and thereby be granted life membership and be sent the card/certificate without the necessity of appearing in person?

Much obliged for any advice.

Do you have to bring your graduation certificate to purchase the membership?

Re:

Postby kas48 on Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:49 am

while we're on the subject, could somebody give me the low-down on signing people in at the weekend? I've heard that in order to take a non-student into the union on friday/saturday/sunday/all three night, that you have to sign them in on the afternoon of the friday, before 6pm. is this true? what if the person wasn't going to be arriving in st andrews by that time, or if they were arriving on the saturday? would i be able to get them their pass, or do they have to be there in person?

[hr]

The bird with the thorn in its breast, it follows an immutable law. It is driven by it knows not what to impale itself, and die singing. At the very instant that the thorn enters there is no awareness in it of the dying to come; it simply sings and sings until there is not the life left to sing another note. But we, when we put the thorns in our breasts, we know. We know and still we do it. Still we do it.
kas48

Re:

Postby kas48 on Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:22 pm

Quoting kas48 from 07:49, 20th Oct 2005
while we're on the subject, could somebody give me the low-down on signing people in at the weekend? I've heard that in order to take a non-student into the union on friday/saturday/sunday/all three night, that you have to sign them in on the afternoon of the friday, before 6pm. is this true? what if the person wasn't going to be arriving in st andrews by that time, or if they were arriving on the saturday? would i be able to get them their pass, or do they have to be there in person?

[hr]

The bird with the thorn in its breast, it follows an immutable law. It is driven by it knows not what to impale itself, and die singing. At the very instant that the thorn enters there is no awareness in it of the dying to come; it simply sings and sings until there is not the life left to sing another note. But we, when we put the thorns in our breasts, we know. We know and still we do it. Still we do it.

please?

[hr]

kas48

Re:

Postby Students Association on Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:06 am

If you come to the General Office before 4.45pm today, you'll be able to get a guest card for your guest (£1).

If your friend goes to a university with which we have a reciprocal agreement (there's a list in the General Office and by the front door), then they can use their membership of their union here.

If you need any further info, you can ring the General Office on (46) 2700
University of St Andrews Students' Association - find more at yourunion.net or follow us on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/StAndrewsUnion
Students Association

Return to The Students' Association (Union)