Home

TheSinner.net

Postgrad accommodation: Any advice?

Welcome to the Union message board. Here's your opportunity to tell us what you think of what we're doing on your behalf. Enjoy! - Oli Walker, Head of Media, Marketing and Design, http://www.YourUnion.netPlease post any requests for advice (about anything) on The Sinner's ADVICE board. Ta!

Postgrad accommodation: Any advice?

Postby Juliet on Thu May 05, 2005 12:45 pm

Hiya,

I'm coming to St Andrews (from the States) in the fall as a one-year postgrad and am in need of some housing advice. I'm trying to decide between Angus House, Stanley Smith House, and Gannochy..can anyone offer some advice/distinguishing characteristics (the good, the bad, or the ugly) that might make my choice a bit clearer? Any help would be much appreciated!
Juliet

Re:

Postby teh cow on Sat May 07, 2005 8:32 pm

In SS or AH you have a 'flat life'.

In Gannochy you have a 'corridor life' + a 'hall life'.

Depends what you like, really.
teh cow

Re:

Postby Fred on Thu May 12, 2005 8:55 am

Juliet -
Where are you coming from in the States and what PG program are you enrolling in? I am from Massachusetts and am studying for the MLitt in International Security Studies in the School of International Relations.

Quoting Juliet from 03:04, 4th May 2005
Hiya,

I'm coming to St Andrews (from the States) in the fall as a one-year postgrad and am in need of some housing advice. I'm trying to decide between Angus House, Stanley Smith House, and Gannochy..can anyone offer some advice/distinguishing characteristics (the good, the bad, or the ugly) that might make my choice a bit clearer? Any help would be much appreciated!
Fred

Re:

Postby lauremw on Sun May 15, 2005 6:32 pm

As the Gannochy Treasurer for 2005-06, I can say the hall has its ups and downs. It's really great for meeting people outside your programme, and most tend to be relatively friendly (although there is the occasional strange person living in the corridor that no one seems to know).
It's pretty centrally located, and although the kitchens can get nasty if people don't do their washing-up, you can really bond with people commiserating over the little things like that (haha). The rooms are small, and the outside of the building is reminiscent of a cinder block, but the people that tend to live here are a diverse fun bunch. The newly-formed committee is really working on putting on more events next year and having a good sense of community. :) Good luck with whatever you choose!

[hr]

~*~*~*~
"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." ~ Anais Nin
~*~*~*~
"Don't think dear, just do". - George Balanchine
lauremw

Re:

Postby Guest on Tue May 24, 2005 1:35 pm

Hey Fred--

I'm coming from North Carolina (no, I do not have a ridiculous Southern accent) and am reading for the MLitt in Shakespeare Studies. I did my undergrad in International Politics, though-- you as well?

Quoting Fred from 15:41, 10th May 2005
Juliet -
Where are you coming from in the States and what PG program are you enrolling in? I am from Massachusetts and am studying for the MLitt in International Security Studies in the School of International Relations.

Quoting Juliet from 03:04, 4th May 2005
Hiya,

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:56 pm

Juliet -
I was a political science major in college so I suppose this is the logical next step. I'm from Boston (though I don't have a ridiculous Boston accent). I hear that there is a good network for American postgraduates at the University, but it is good to know a few in advance. I finally secured housing and will be right by the town center, have you had any luck?

Re:

Postby Guest on Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:22 am

Hey Fred,

Sorry for the delay. No, I haven't had any luck...I applied for on-campus and don't think I'll hear for possibly another month or two, which makes me a bit nervous if I end up not getting on-campus. So you've already found out about on-campus, or you decided to live off? Do you have flatmates?
From what I've read on the website and elsewhere, there do seem to be a lot of Americans-- for good or ill, as the case may be.
Have you lived or studied abroad before?

Quoting from 00:48, 4th Jun 2005
Juliet -
I was a political science major in college so I suppose this is the logical next step. I'm from Boston (though I don't have a ridiculous Boston accent). I hear that there is a good network for American postgraduates at the University, but it is good to know a few in advance. I finally secured housing and will be right by the town center, have you had any luck?

Re:

Postby Fred Marcks on Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:41 am

I did get a University managed flat on Queens Gardens. I inquired really early because I'm married and I was told there were very limited options for couples etc. We've only got it for 9 months though, so looks like we'll have to keep looking to get something for summer. Let me know how it works out for you and keep in touch, I know we're both eager to meet lots of others as we get used to our new digs.
Fred Marcks

Re:

Postby Trish on Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:37 pm

Hi all,

I'm from Canada, and I just got accepted to the INternational Securities Programme at St. Andrews! Fred -- you and me should chat before we start school in the fall!

Anyways, since I only just found out, what do you think the chances of me getting residence at this point are?

Trish
Trish

Re:

Postby Trish on Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:37 pm

Hi everyone!

I just recieved word that I got in to do my M.Litt in INternational Security Studies!!

Does anyone know if its too late to apply for residence?

Trish
Trish

Re:

Postby Guest on Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:37 pm

Finally got the digs-- I'm in Stanley Smith house, which is what I had hoped for...now let's just hope it IS what I had hoped for. Hope all is going for you in terms of prep! Let's definitely keep in touch-- I imagine we'll run into each other during pre-sesh...

Quoting Fred Marcks from 22:27, 2nd Jul 2005
I did get a University managed flat on Queens Gardens. I inquired really early because I'm married and I was told there were very limited options for couples etc. We've only got it for 9 months though, so looks like we'll have to keep looking to get something for summer. Let me know how it works out for you and keep in touch, I know we're both eager to meet lots of others as we get used to our new digs.

Re:

Postby Fred on Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:14 am

Trish - it is worth a shot! I found the student accommodation office to be very helpful. Plus, there seems to be a pretty good number of private rentals (that is basically what I have... just university managed during the academic year).

Where are you from in Canada? I'll look forward to meeting you. Until then, feel free to email me: marckscampaign@hotmail.com

Quoting Trish from 22:42, 26th Jul 2005
Hi all,

I'm from Canada, and I just got accepted to the INternational Securities Programme at St. Andrews! Fred -- you and me should chat before we start school in the fall!

Anyways, since I only just found out, what do you think the chances of me getting residence at this point are?

Trish
Fred

Re:

Postby Trish on Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:48 am

I actually got into DRA -- which is a relief, since booking private accomodation while still in Toronto can be a bit of a hassle!

Fred -- I'm in Toronto, at the moment, wokring at the Toronto International Film Festival (oooh, snazzy!), but am gettin gplenty excited to get over to Scotland (just booked my flight!!

Trish

Quoting Fred from 19:31, 10th Aug 2005
Trish - it is worth a shot! I found the student accommodation office to be very helpful. Plus, there seems to be a pretty good number of private rentals (that is basically what I have... just university managed during the academic year).

Where are you from in Canada? I'll look forward to meeting you. Until then, feel free to email me: marckscampaign@hotmail.com

Quoting Trish from 22:42, 26th Jul 2005
Hi all,

Trish
Trish

Return to The Students' Association (Union)