Home

TheSinner.net

BOP on Fridays and Saturdays sucks!

Welcome to the Union message board. Here's your opportunity to tell us what you think of what we're doing on your behalf. Enjoy! - Oli Walker, Head of Media, Marketing and Design, http://www.YourUnion.netPlease post any requests for advice (about anything) on The Sinner's ADVICE board. Ta!

Re:

Postby Pan on Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:25 am

The bop is way better and always will be better than any of your new fangled "clubs".

*shudders*

people have different tastes. Odds are if you're in the bop, you want cheesy music that you can bop around to (otherwise, why are you there??), if you're in the bar, you want to sit and listen to music. Hence the different music in different places. It's not rocket science

(mmmm rocket science)

[hr]

"Last time you gave me a pie, I cut into it, and birds flew out of it, hitting me in the face and chin. I was confused. It was a trick pie"
Pan

Re:

Postby Krissy on Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:23 pm

Hey, I've been reading comments on how much the music at the Bop sucks... maybe I can change that if people can get me in contact with the proper people (how do I get a hold of the Director of Ents & Services?). I'm a DJ who works mainly in the New York City area, but I'll be a student at St. Andrews for a semester in Spring 2006. I'm attempting to bring with me as much of my music and DJ equipment possible -- I don't play oldies. I can't wait to learn the subtle differences in music tastes of the UK when compared to New York City (though I dated a British DJ for a few years so I'm not totally clueless...) and want to DJ as many parties as possible to hopefully make a little cash on the side, have fun, and meet as many people as possible before I have to go home :) I'm able to stay afloat in the competitive New York City DJ circuit, so I'd love for people to give me a chance at St. Andrews.
I'll keep checking this site if anyone can give me any information. If there's anthing I can do to help out the music situation at this Bop I've been hearing about, I'd love to! Please tell me how I can!
--and if there's a decent record store anywhere nearby, or even in London, I can order new records so I can at least try for a sound like Tiesto or PVD if that's the desired vibe...

Quoting k from 20:40, 19th Oct 2005
Quoting sss from 15:40, 16th Oct 2005
The bop on Fridays and Saturdays sucks! - music is just terrible (mostly for oldies...) and you should wait for 35-50 min to listen to the music you ordered. It just can't be worse than that.

S

Thanks for your comments, I think you would find any club that you go to will take your request and will only play it until the find a suitable place in their set. With the amount of requests we get we can't just Drop everything for your one request. And Since when have Saturday Bops been on, there was one on a saturday after freshers week but apart from that there has been none since.

If you have any suggestions on how to make YOUR union better then get in contact with Director of Ents and Services who I am sure will be happy to meet you.

Krissy

Re:

Postby g on Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:41 pm

Quoting Krissy from 05:44, 13th Dec 2005
Hey, I've been reading comments on how much the music at the Bop sucks... maybe I can change that if people can get me in contact with the proper people (how do I get a hold of the Director of Ents & Services?). I'm a DJ who works mainly in the New York City area, but I'll be a student at St. Andrews for a semester in Spring 2006. I'm attempting to bring with me as much of my music and DJ equipment possible -- I don't play oldies. I can't wait to learn the subtle differences in music tastes of the UK when compared to New York City (though I dated a British DJ for a few years so I'm not totally clueless...) and want to DJ as many parties as possible to hopefully make a little cash on the side, have fun, and meet as many people as possible before I have to go home :) I'm able to stay afloat in the competitive New York City DJ circuit, so I'd love for people to give me a chance at St. Andrews.
I'll keep checking this site if anyone can give me any information. If there's anthing I can do to help out the music situation at this Bop I've been hearing about, I'd love to! Please tell me how I can!
--and if there's a decent record store anywhere nearby, or even in London, I can order new records so I can at least try for a sound like Tiesto or PVD if that's the desired vibe...

Chris (the DoES) can be contacted by e-mail at doserv at st-andrews.ac.uk

[s]Edited to make address less attractive to spambots...[/s]
g

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:14 am

Why on earth would you want to turn St Andrews into the sort of place where (yet more?) drugged up wankers turn up to hear the latest "bangin' choonz"?

There are already plenty of other places you can go for that. Also, never understimate the level of student apathy in St Andrews to ANYTHING. There my be 7000 students, but you often struggle to get more than 0.1% of that number in to some of the events.

Griggsy, you forget that it's easier to travel from Edinburgh to London than from Edinburgh to St Andrews, parts of Fife are indeed still an Island. Just how are all these clubbers going to get here, what are they going to do when their here, where will they stay, how will they get home and don't you think St Andrews has enough vomit, discarded chip-wrappers and missing traffic cones after a night out?

[hr]

image:www.magnificentoctopus.com/x/elgar.png
flarewearer

Re:

Postby Griggsy on Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:48 pm

Quoting flarewearer from 06:14, 14th Dec 2005
Why on earth would you want to turn St Andrews into the sort of place where (yet more?) drugged up wankers turn up to hear the latest "bangin' choonz"?

There are already plenty of other places you can go for that. Also, never understimate the level of student apathy in St Andrews to ANYTHING. There my be 7000 students, but you often struggle to get more than 0.1% of that number in to some of the events.

Griggsy, you forget that it's easier to travel from Edinburgh to London than from Edinburgh to St Andrews, parts of Fife are indeed still an Island. Just how are all these clubbers going to get here, what are they going to do when their here, where will they stay, how will they get home and don't you think St Andrews has enough vomit, discarded chip-wrappers and missing traffic cones after a night out?

[hr]

image:www.magnificentoctopus.com/x/elgar.png

Yeh it's so easy to get from Edinburgh to London?!?! Thats why it takes me 4-5 hours to get home at holidays.

Krissy love your sound, though I think even Tiesto is a bit too non-mainstream for the St.Andrews lot! Shocking I know. We just need something smooth we can dance to.

Either way, what else you into. Gabriel & Dresden, Blank & Jones?

[hr]

'I run wild in the shadowy jungle of erotic adventures.'
Griggsy

Re:

Postby Griggsy on Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:55 pm

The fact that you think a club with a decent DJ is full of drugged up wankers shows your ignorance flamewearer. We're a University town, why put up with one place to dance on a Friday night?

As for people not having anywhere to go, I wasn't implying we turn the place into Ibiza. It was used as an exaggeration to show the totla lack of good places and music on the weekend. If the Bop is going to be the only place open late on a Friday, the least it could do is play some decent music...so we don't have to get trashed and vomity to enjoy it!

[hr]

Griggsy

Re:

Postby Pan on Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:35 pm

The bop has plenty of decent music. Just because it's not your taste, doesn't mean it isn't to the taste of the many people who attend it.

Did it ever occur to you that some people came to St Andrews BECAUSE there are no clubs?!(obviously just one of the reasons they came ¬_¬) If you want a giant club life, go to a city uni.

[hr]

"Last time you gave me a pie, I cut into it, and birds flew out of it, hitting me in the face and chin. I was confused. It was a trick pie"
Pan

Re:

Postby Rennie on Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:23 pm

Hi Krissy. What's your e-mail address - I'd be quite interested in finding a DJ for a private party.
Rennie

Re:

Postby Griggsy on Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:59 pm

Quoting Rennie from 18:23, 15th Dec 2005
Hi Krissy. What's your e-mail address - I'd be quite interested in finding a DJ for a private party.

Yeh same here, how long are you in St. Andrews for?

[hr]

Griggsy

Re:

Postby Krissy on Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:13 am

Hey - thanks for the contact info!

Flarewearer - I'm not suggesting the club idea, because my US college tried to put a club in our teeny town for a bunch of college students who just like to get drunk in their dorm room, sing along with Journey and Bon Jovi, and dance around to hip hop and a little (very little) dance music. It flopped miserably.

Griggsy, I can't even play anything Tiesto or Oakenfold-esque on my radio show (and never when I'm DJing parties) at my own college because I know I'd lose my listeners. What makes DJs good at their trade is if they are capable and flexable enough to read their crowds and play the kinda music appropriate for the audience. I'd love to give it a shot @ the Bop though :) I'm a sucker for getting people to dance... makes for great peoplewatching!

How big is American hip hop over there, like Jay-Z, Ying Yang Twinz, Lil John, Missy Elliott, Ciara, etc.?
Krissy

Re:

Postby Pan on Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:34 am

who?

[hr]

Pan

Re:

Postby harmless loony on Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:06 pm

Krissy,

You'd find music like that at the Asian Society Bhangra, Hip Hop and RnB nights. The Union doesn't appear to cater for those music tastes so the Asian soc makes up for it and we host events sell out everytime.

It's worth checking the asian soc out when you arrive in St Andrews - see what we can pull together......
harmless loony

Re:

Postby Rennie on Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:05 pm

Krissy, still interested in getting a DJ for a private party, e-mail me at alexrennie1 'at' hotmail dot com - thanks
Rennie

Re:

Postby iamme on Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:13 pm

i like the bop, i like the music and i reckon most other people in there do too. If people want to dance to hip hop ish stuff im pretty sure the lizard, broons and vic all do nights. If the bop wasn't cheesy, it wouldn't be fun and wouldn't be the bop.
iamme

Re:

Postby Amelia on Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:35 pm

hey, i have just recieved an offer to go to st andrews. just wanted to know if the night life is any good. from what i can see most of you seem to stress that their are no clubs¬! which is stressful, especially as i come from cheltenham in gloucestershire where they are in abundance!
what do you do for going out? is it worth me coming to st andrews??
Amelia

Re:

Postby M_A_T_T_H_E_W on Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:53 am

Well if you aren't happy with St-Andrews there is always Dundee's Night Life, several of the clubs in Dundee run busses on different nights there and back. The Bop is a bit like Marmmite I grant you but for thoes who go it is great fun.
I wouldn't let the lack of clubs in St andrews put you off.

[hr]

What's the food like at the end of the universe?
Please note the above post is not written in English, it is wrottenin obsurce language similar in many ways to English but wit many subtle and major differences.

What's the food like at the end of the universe?
http://www.auditmypc.com/freescan/antispam.html
M_A_T_T_H_E_W

Re:

Postby Irish Frank on Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:34 pm

much as I love the bop, a little more range in the music selection would be nice. Almost all the stuff from the previous friday night is recycled the next week. Can't the bop commanders innovate a bit?
Irish Frank

Re:

Postby Al on Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:50 pm

Then it wouldn't be the 'Bop, would it? Changing the nature of the 'Bop has has been tried time and time again. More radically, new events have been created to cater for people with different wants. It seldom lasts. Either no one goes or, as happened on at least one occasion when the Union tried something new, the same music ends up being played at the new event as is played at the Friday 'Bop.
Al

Re:

Postby Falkirk Craig on Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:52 pm

Quoting Irish Frank from 18:34, 28th Jan 2006
much as I love the bop, a little more range in the music selection would be nice. Almost all the stuff from the previous friday night is recycled the next week. Can't the bop commanders innovate a bit?

You can never win when DJ'ing the bop...
We play up to date music and get complaints or requests for The Proclaimers or Chesney at the end of the night, or we play plenty cheese and there is nothing but requests for up to date music, oh and R'n'B! Its a long night so we try to mix it up. Just get drunk and enjoy the music!
Falkirk Craig

Re:

Postby trouble on Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:37 pm

Quoting Tom from 16:36, 25th Oct 2005
I would have thought that they could build one club in this place, there are 7000 students for crying out loud.

Just a small one!

for gods sake! you chose to come here! stop complaining! If you wanted a uni with clubs then you should have gone to dundee.

[hr]

"Just stay with me, safe and ignorant,
Safe from pain and truth and choice and other poison devils,
See, they don't give a fuck about you, like I do." (APC- pet)
trouble

PreviousNext

Return to The Students' Association (Union)