Home

TheSinner.net

Guide to St Andrews

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Guide to St Andrews

Postby Oli on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

Work is now well underway on the unofficial guide to St Andrews.

Have a look at www.jumpingduck.com/thesinner to see which sections have been thought up, and if you see a topic that you would like to write about, please email oli@thesinner.co.uk, with enthusiastic volunteering type comments.

If there are any topics that haven't been mentioned yet, send an email telling me which bits we've missed out so far.

As soon as there's enough content flying around to fill a page, the guide will be made available, and we can then point any clueless people towards it in an attempt to answer their ponderings, instead of slagging them off with "it's been asked before, go look for it".

Comments and feedback always appreciated!
Oli

Miranda and Sal's Guide to St Andrews

Postby Al on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

Can I volunteer triple ? to go on a fact-finding mission to The Stables and then write a bit for the "Places in St Andrews" section on the website?
Al

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

Hmmm, just noticed my name is already down next to one of the topics. Heh, forgot I volunteered for that. Better get to work hadn't I?
[s]Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.[/s]
The_Farwall

Re:

Postby Thackary on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

It would be interesting to discover the different methods of payment accepted at the Stables, and the range of drinks they serve.

Perhaps our intrepid investigator could ask for to pay for "sex on the beach" with a cheque?
Thackary

Re:

Oli, how do you want us to get the articles to you once they're written? Any preference to format also?
The_Farwall

And in addition...

Postby underworlddreams on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

how fast do you want this done? I take it you want to get this up some time before Fresher's Week...
underworlddreams

bravo!

Postby Anonymous on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

I was the person who asked if you guys would write up something instead of having thread after thread on the same stuff. So thanks a lot for this-- the site looks great, and I'm sure my fellow clueless prospective students (especially us pesky Americans) will really appreciate it.
Anonymous

Re:

Thanks for all your response so far.
Answers to all your questions will be posted in the form of instructions on the page mentioned above (www.jumpingduck.com/thesinner).

But briefly: Any format will do, but preferably just plain text please.

Deadline is end of August, but the sooner the better. Next week if possible. I'd like to get as much on the web as possible before people arrive in St Andrews, in order to help satisfy everyone's desire for answers!

The more feedback and opinions about each topic we have, the better the guide will be. If you can think of any topics that we've missed out so far, please let us know by filling in the form.

Thanks again - keep it all coming!
Oli

Re:

what about something on freshers week? what we do, etc? and academic families, too. hmm. . .anything more on other socs and stuff would be neat too. although i know there's tons of them, so that would be more difficult. and something on sport? none of you seem to talk about sport at all. is it a part of uni life at all?
Anonymous

Re:

Postby James Baster on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

Societys are very hard to write about because generally the value of a particular society changes so such each year with the diffrent committeess. But if you look at the page we are going to try, the head of Mermaids (theatre) and debating are going to be writing pieces for us.
James Baster

Re:

Oli mate, it still doesn't tell us how to get stuff to you. I've now got a finished, 1900 word article about the union sat on my computer, do you want it?
The_Farwall

Re:

Oli mate, it still doesn't tell us how to get stuff to you. I've now got a finished, 1900 word article about the union sat on my computer, do you want it?
Thackary

Re:

All the information you'll need can now be found at www.jumpingduck.com/thesinner

I've also just added a new category called "Really important stuff", which has a section entitled "What to do in Freshers' week". If anyone has any ideas about what people will need to do, or any advice on the subject, sign up to the form and put a tick in the relevant box. I'm sure that ANY comments on this topic will be more than welcome!

Thanks for the feedback so far - keep it coming!
Oli

Re:

We already have positive feedback!

I received an email earlier this evening which reads:

"Wow--the site is great already! I have to thank you and all the other
frequent post-ers. I was completely freaked out, and clueless, about coming
to St A's in the fall but since I stumbled across the message boards, I've learned quite a bit by lurking. You're all so helpful and patient and nice!
Not the snobby school that I'd heard rumours of at all.

Thanks a million and maybe I will meet you in 6 weeks!"

So that's nice. Give yourselves a pat on the back and a quick snog if you can manage it. Then carry on writing reviews and we'll make sure the Sinner goes from strength to strength.
Oli

Re:

More articles now online!

www.jumpingduck.com/thesinner
Thackary

Re:

why hasn't anyone besides al written anything?
Anonymous

Other people will but

Because they are slow with the writing, and I write good now, I am completing before them.
Al

Re:

Postby James Baster on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

Yo! Mary, FarWall, Sal! Your all going to be known as Al from now on ok?
James Baster

Re:

Besides, I am not the only one. Saint Sal, The_Farwall and Mary have all contributed articles.

See above post by Mr James Baster for confirmation.

And I think that everyone should love everyone else. And write stuff for the Sinner community. If more people were like me and did that, maybe there would not be so many people who do have food in africa. SO THERE!

Oh God. I'm channelling Cindy.
Al

Re:

We are the AL, resistance is futile, your articles and opinions will be absorbed and added to the collective.

I'd like special consideration due to the fact that I'm working full time AND supposedly revising for exams as well as attempting to write these articles. I just wanted to get that in in case anyone else has spotted all the typos in my article that I just found.
The_Farwall

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board