Home

TheSinner.net

The Union Website

Welcome to the Union message board. Here's your opportunity to tell us what you think of what we're doing on your behalf. Enjoy! - Oli Walker, Head of Media, Marketing and Design, http://www.YourUnion.netPlease post any requests for advice (about anything) on The Sinner's ADVICE board. Ta!

The Union Website

Postby Grandpa on Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:04 pm

The website is still a disgrace. When will the union realise this and do something about it.

All this talk of ''well come and give us suggestions on how we can make it better'' is a total waste of time.

Not only does it smack of a website team that does not know what it needs to do, but it says thet they don't even know what makes a good website. They are obviously ineffective and not a use to the union, whatsoever in this respect.

I have made websites myself where the webauthoring is a service provided to you for a price. Now, realising that that the union may not want to fork out for these services necessarily means that they must find someone COMPETENT enough to do the job.

The fact that in almost the entirety of the two years I have been here that website has been ineffective, hard to navigat and a molycoddle of random and sometimes useless information says all the above.

What does the union intend to do about it and when? Who is responsible for the website, and if in over two years they have not been able to do the job (for whatever reason) why are they still given the job to do? If it is not down to one person, but to a team, then why is that team still on the job.

It is a disgrace to our students' assoc. that this monstrosity of failure has been allowed to continue for so long unattended to properly.

[hr]

[s]Cogitationis poenam nemo meretur, facias ipse quod faciamus suades - pax vobiscum.[/s]
We are gentlemen that neither in our hearts nor outward eyes envy the great nor shall the low despise.
Grandpa

Re:

Postby sejanus on Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:25 pm

Calm down, dear, it's only a website
sejanus

Re:

Postby Sid on Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:28 pm

It's only a pish website.

Quoting sejanus from 19:25, 22nd Mar 2006
Calm down, dear, it's only a website
Sid

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:58 pm

mollycoddle

v. tr. mol·ly·cod·dled, mol·ly·cod·dling, mol·ly·cod·dles
To be overprotective and indulgent toward.

n.
A person, especially a man or a boy, who is pampered and overprotected.

Oy vey.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby the Empress on Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:01 pm

Why did you start a new thread? Why not revive the old one - or must the Sinner be littered with your rants?

[hr]

Night is the cathedral where we recognise the signs
the Empress

Re:

Postby Sid on Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:03 pm

What are you getting at?

Quoting exnihilo from 20:58, 22nd Mar 2006
mollycoddle

v. tr. mol·ly·cod·dled, mol·ly·cod·dling, mol·ly·cod·dles
To be overprotective and indulgent toward.

n.
A person, especially a man or a boy, who is pampered and overprotected.

Oy vey.
Sid

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:05 pm

Quoting Grandpa from 15:04, 22nd Mar 2006The fact that in almost the entirety of the two years I have been here that website has been ineffective, hard to navigat and a molycoddle of random and sometimes useless information says all the above.

This (my bold).
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Fozzy Bear on Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:09 pm

Quoting the Empress from 21:01, 22nd Mar 2006
Why did you start a new thread? Why not revive the old one - or must the Sinner be littered with your rants?

[hr]

It already is full of them. i think Grandpa starts a new thread every week just to complain about the union on.[img]littleicons/yellowtounge.gif[/img]

[hr]

Advertise your business here. £4.99 a month
Fozzy Bear

Re:

Postby Sid on Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:19 pm

ah, the English language argument. I only skimmed his post.

I don't mean to be rude, but I hear that you are a graduate. Now, when I graduate I want to move away, far far away, it's not that I don't like St Andrews, I just hate the weather, but, I will keep in contact, I'll still have friends here, so occasionally I'll use the Sinner to see what's happening, but why are you on here so often? I don't understand. I'm here because I have an essay to do, and this is the most satisfying way to procrastinate, but you seem to be on this as much as me at the moment, if not a lot more. But, it's not just that, why come on here and just get ripped into people, and not only that, pick them up on silly spelling mistakes because you've took a disliking to that person?

Do you not think you should be above all that. A grown man spending a lot of his time on a student message board arguing with another older gentleman about spelling and gramatical errors? Why don't you go to the pub for a pint, or read a book, or, take up a hobby? Fly-fishing, sailing, needlecraft?

What do you reckon?

Sid

Quoting exnihilo from 21:05, 22nd Mar 2006
Quoting Grandpa from 15:04, 22nd Mar 2006The fact that in almost the entirety of the two years I have been here that website has been ineffective, hard to navigat and a molycoddle of random and sometimes useless information says all the above.

This (my bold).
Sid

Re:

Postby the Empress on Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:24 pm

lol - think he didn't get elected?

Sid - saying 'I don't mean to be rude' doesn't make an insult any better . .

Quoting Fozzy Bear from 21:09, 22nd Mar 2006
Quoting the Empress from 21:01, 22nd Mar 2006

[hr]

It already is full of them. i think Grandpa starts a new thread every week just to complain about the union on.[img]littleicons/yellowtounge.gif[/img]

[hr]

Advertise your business here. £4.99 a month

[hr]

the Empress

Re:

Postby Sid on Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:26 pm

I'm really not meaning to insult him, I'm just curious.

Quoting the Empress from 21:24, 22nd Mar 2006
Sid - saying 'I don't mean to be rude' doesn't make an insult any better . .
Sid

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:42 pm

I won't argue that I'm not a "grown man", but I am also still a student, a postgraduate student, and one who has been posting on the Sinner since its earliest days, who still knows plenty of people in St Andrews and is still there regularly.

However, I think your post condemns you more than it does me. You have work to do, but are wasting time on here. I've submitted my thesis and have nothing to do now. Also, I'm ill at home with the 'flu, so my time spent online has rocketed.

If you read my posts, you'll see that I make plenty of worthwhile contributions to the debates and discussions on here. I have no animosity towards grandpa, I just dislike being lectured by him and insulted by him when I have what he sees as the temerity to disagree with his agéd wisdom.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Sid on Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:41 pm

What kind of flu is it, because you seem to have had it a long time. Well over a week in fact, remember our discussion on the rectorial thread?

Quoting exnihilo from 23:42, 22nd Mar 2006
I won't argue that I'm not a "grown man", but I am also still a student, a postgraduate student, and one who has been posting on the Sinner since its earliest days, who still knows plenty of people in St Andrews and is still there regularly.

However, I think your post condemns you more than it does me. You have work to do, but are wasting time on here. I've submitted my thesis and have nothing to do now. Also, I'm ill at home with the 'flu, so my time spent online has rocketed.

If you read my posts, you'll see that I make plenty of worthwhile contributions to the debates and discussions on here. I have no animosity towards grandpa, I just dislike being lectured by him and insulted by him when I have what he sees as the temerity to disagree with his agéd wisdom.
Sid

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:51 pm

I do indeed, vividly. I have had it for around a week, yes - though I do still post when I'm healthy, because I manage my time well enough to never really be overworked. But you will note that I also said I've submitted my thesis and am at a bit of a loose end just now - enough of a loose end to be actually justifying my use of The Sinner! Sigh.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Grandpa on Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:59 pm

who me? yeah, I got elected...did you?

[hr]

[s]Cogitationis poenam nemo meretur, facias ipse quod faciamus suades - pax vobiscum.[/s]
We are gentlemen that neither in our hearts nor outward eyes envy the great nor shall the low despise.
Grandpa

Re:

Postby Grandpa on Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:01 pm

Anyway, enough of this childish rambling between us all.

The union website is still pretty much a bad deal...so what do you all think?

[hr]

Grandpa

Re:

Postby Sid on Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:09 pm

I have to agree. It's pretty bad.

Exnihilo, good for you!! A thesis to me sounds like a scary prospect, but I'm sure once your there it's not all that bad.

With spring in the air and if I was at a loose end, I'd be out doing outdoorsy things, climbing mountains, walks in the park, cycling round the countryside! Bliss!

And guess what I'm away to take my own advice. Work is done, for now, and I'm off out of here.

Toodle-loo grandpa, exnihilo, sinners!

'Till next time!
Sid

Re:

Postby the Empress on Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:03 pm

Not to squabble but . . I don't need to be elected. Hehe, my identity's not hard;)

Quoting Grandpa from 15:59, 23rd Mar 2006

who me? yeah, I got elected...did you?

[hr]

[hr]

the Empress

Re:

Postby Grandpa on Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:49 pm

Quoting the Empress from 19:03, 23rd Mar 2006
Not to squabble but . . I don't need to be elected. Hehe, my identity's not hard;)

hmmm. Either someone who works in the union or the head of the Election Committee??

[hr]

Grandpa

Re:

Postby Guest on Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:44 am

Quoting Grandpa from 16:01, 23rd Mar 2006
The union website is still pretty much a bad deal...so what do you all think?

I think that since you were elected to a Union job the other week, it's now partly your fault as well. What have YOU done, aside from bitch, to fix the problem?

I think that we can read all of your previous complaining and subsequent run for office as you volunteering to fix it, Grandpa, so can I just say that we look forward to critiquing *your* work!

Next

Return to The Students' Association (Union)