Home

TheSinner.net

Informal Rules of The Sinner Message Boards

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Informal Rules of The Sinner Message Boards

Postby James Baster on Mon Dec 09, 2002 3:52 pm

We already seem to have one: no guessing of people real life identitys, Now I propose a 2nd one. No correcting of peoples spelling and grammar.

I shall make the case for this motion.

Its a Fucking informal website! What does it matter if a few words are spelt wrong! Its not a CV! Its not an essay! Its an informal and chatty conversational website! Spelling mistakes can be tolerated!

Anyone who replys to this pointing out my spelling mistakes will be beaten over the head with a blunt object for having an extremly annoying sense of humour.
James Baster

Re:

Postby kensson on Mon Dec 09, 2002 4:02 pm

So you're setting rules for an informal site? Surely that's completely against the spirit. Personally, I quite like undermining someone's argument by littering it with '(sic)', but only when their argument is entirely ridiculous.

[hr]My policy towards the USA remains one of regime change
kensson

Re:

Postby RichZ on Mon Dec 09, 2002 4:10 pm

It is his web site though, well in legal terms any ways. I think. But it is THE STUDENTS site isn't it? But I is thinking thats y he put the poll on?!? Maybe - u think?
RichZ

Re:

Postby kensson on Mon Dec 09, 2002 4:24 pm

Oh, he's quite within his rights, I was just pointing out an apparent inconsistency with the spirit of the site.

kensson

Re:

Postby Thackary on Mon Dec 09, 2002 9:22 pm

If you strive for excellence but only achieve 95%, surely that's better than aiming low and only achieving 75%?
Thackary

Re:

Postby Cloud on Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:58 am

My grammar and my spelling suck.
But thats mainly because im a sh*t typer.
Being corrected for it is not a good idea.
We are all mature adults and we are not going to go and top ourselves because someone points out the incorrect spelling of the word "ambiguous"

If anyone is making bad grammar, by now they probably dont give a hoot, and this is a website so people should be excused for using "web-speak"

I think people who correct spelling must be incredibly boring or just dissatisfied with their own life.

Bit extreme but you all stoped reading after the word "ambiguous"

Cloud
Cant spell, wont spell
[s]I want your skulls[/s]
Cloud

Re:

Postby RaphX on Tue Dec 10, 2002 9:40 am

your all idiots ;)

[hr]Let it be a joke
Let it be a smile
Let it be a farce if it makes me laugh for a little while
Let it be a tear
Let it be a sigh
Coming from a heart, speaking to a heart, let it be a cry
RaphX

Re:

Postby Thackary on Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:08 pm

Although I despise text-speak, I can understand why it is used. There are only a few keys on a phone keypad, and sometimes it's easier and a lot less hassle to miss out a few letters instead of pressing the same key a number of times in order to find the letter that you want.

However these days, with predictive text input, the phone guesses what word you want to write, and nine times out of ten it will get it write. If you know how to use your phone properly (and anyone who has technology should have the decency to learn how to use it), you should be able to send text messages with ease, and with correct words and spelling.

A lot of people say that it means you can fit more into a message if you use txtspEk, but if you think about it - if the message is that long, you might as well ring the person you are texting. (On average), it costs more to send two texts than it does to make a short phone call.

BUT! With a computer, you have a keyboard with all the letters of the alphabet laid out in front of you. There's no excuse for typing phonetically.

Some people type very quickly, and are prone to make mistakes. A lot of these are obvious; most notably the mispelling "teh". But confusing the words their, there and they're isn't a typing mistake. By using the wrong word, you change the meaning of the sentence.

If you've got a spell checker, then use it. Or better still - learn from it. See which words it replaces, and make an attempt to use the correct word next time.

Now I understand that there are some people who have a genuine reason why their spelling isn't spot on, but there are so many things available to help with spelling.

I'm not campaigning for everyone to spell everything correctly, and I realise that these boards are informal, but in the same way that some people get irritated when others drop litter, or smoke in public places, I get irritated when people spell incorrectly.

If I were to campaign about something, it would be for the correct use of the apostrophe, but that's another matter...
Thackary

Re:

Postby kensson on Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:26 pm

It would be entirely against the spirit of the thread to criticise Thackary's one obvious mis-spelling...

However, in argument against his point, the Sinner's New Message screen doesn't have a spell checker, so far as I can see, and I suspect it might be tricky to implement.

There's certainly an argument, though, for reading back what you type to make sure it makes sense (and you can check spelling while you do it.)

Oh, and if people mis-spell Kensson then I reserve the right to get cross.

kensson

Against coherence

Postby the weight of echoes on Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:29 pm

As a matter of fact, no-one understands anyone else. This is why we have message boards. The apostrophe is obviously just a blip and isnt meant to be a permanent feature of written English because theres no single sentence in which leaving out an apostrophe changes the meaning, as long as you understand the context. Why should there be such a thing as correct spelling? The litter analogy you gave is useful because litter is self-evidently the highest artform as it has no boundaries whatsoever: only if you put it in the bin does it cease to be litter. Therefore it should be promoted as a valid form of self-expression, rather like vandalism, which I personally believe should be given government funding. The same applies to spelling because I feel like it.
the weight of echoes

Re:

Postby Thackary on Tue Dec 10, 2002 1:03 pm

[s]kensson wrote on 12:26, 10th Dec 2002:
It would be entirely against the spirit of the thread to criticise Thackary's one obvious mis-spelling...

I would have said that the other obvious misspelling would be "txtspEk"
Thackary

Re:

Postby Thackary on Tue Dec 10, 2002 1:17 pm

[s]the weight of echoes wrote on 12:29, 10th Dec 2002:
As a matter of fact, no-one understands anyone else. This is why we have message boards.

Well that doesn't make sense for a start. We have message boards in order to allow an unlimited number of people to join in a discussions and exchange ideas and thoughts. In order to have such a discussion or exchange, I would have thought it essential that everyone involved understands the correct sentiments behind each post.

The apostrophe is obviously just a blip and isnt meant to be a permanent feature of written English because theres no single sentence in which leaving out an apostrophe changes the meaning, as long as you understand the context.

Here's a simple example:
"The horse's reins" has a completely different meaning from
"The horses' reins".

When I referred to littering, I wasn't stating that it was or wasn't an artform. That is a completely separate discussion, and one that could be started on another thread.
Thackary

Re:

Postby Clonion on Tue Dec 10, 2002 1:17 pm

As long as the message remains clear, I don't see what the problem is. With most incorrect spellings you can understand what the author meant to say - so why haul them up about it? I have to say though that I do dislike textspeak creeping into things like this, and using webspeak as well can sometimes make it difficult for a reader who isn't familiar with it, but to return to the point in hand, if you can understand - quit quibbling.

[hr]"If I want to quantify anything, I measure it against Clones. There is nothing you will ever encounter in life you haven't seen in some form in Clones"
Neil Jordan
Clonion

Re:

Postby lazyjayn on Tue Dec 10, 2002 1:18 pm

As an unregistered, non-there student who is never sure if the spelling she uses is the US, UK, or a hybrid of the two, I am very much in favor of this. Favour? Whatever.

j.
lazyjayn

Re:

Postby jeff on Tue Dec 10, 2002 1:18 pm

I'm a scientist, so I can't spell for shite. I've written a grand total of 2 essays since first year, so no wonder...
jeff

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Tue Dec 10, 2002 1:31 pm

The apostrophe is obviously just a blip and isnt meant to be a permanent feature of written English because theres no single sentence in which leaving out an apostrophe changes the meaning, as long as you understand the context.

Here's a simple example:
"The horse's reins" has a completely different meaning from
"The horses' reins".

I think the point was, when read in context, the use of the apostophe should be obvious. This is neither in context nor a complete sentance. I am currently trying to think of an example but this is not a valid one against the previous arguement.

munchingfoo
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

short 'txt' typin

Postby munchingfoo on Tue Dec 10, 2002 1:36 pm

gtg cya l8er ppl

is quite obviously shorter than

go to go see you later people

In arguement to bad spelling making the sentance meaningless

Spelling is important for the purpose of understanding the meaning, but if you are able to see what the word should have been in order to 'Correct' their spelling, then the meaning is quite obvious
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby RichZ on Tue Dec 10, 2002 1:38 pm

I'm a scientist two, and dont really care about people speling. Probablly cos I cant spell very good my self.

I've only done 1/2 an essay since Iv bn here. So I should really get on with that i supose.

How many people are their who REALLY care if peoples' spelling isn't perfect?

I DARE you 2 say "But he's.......blah blah
RichZ

The bottom line:

Postby Cloud on Tue Dec 10, 2002 1:39 pm

Spelling is over-rated
People make spelling mistakes, lots of them
People make grammar mistakes, lots of them
People make punctuation mistakes, lots of them

GET OVER IT!!
[s]I want your skulls[/s]
Cloud

university level grammar

Postby Dj Balloon on Tue Dec 10, 2002 1:40 pm

Picking people up for spellings can be a little over the top at times. However, I have to agree with Thackary about punctuation - it does change the meaning of the sentence. If correcting people on this aids their grammar, then this can only be a good thing. I'm sorry, but saying "I'm a science student, I don't need to spell" is rubbish. Try "spelling" an equation wrong...
Arse arsonist's forfeit refreshment
Dj Balloon

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board