Home

TheSinner.net

Jumped the shark?

Doctor Who Society board

Jumped the shark?

Postby Senethro on Sun May 11, 2008 7:56 pm

Jenny was a step too far. I didn't like the writing on the last two shows. Hopes for rest of series sinking.
Senethro

Re:

Postby Colleen on Mon May 12, 2008 10:52 am

Ah, well, I never had high hopes for this, as they'd either do a complete cop-out or rish alienating about half of fandom by making a definitve statement about the Doctors family/Timelord reproduction.

They went for the cop-out option. Hey ho. Next week looks a bit more like it. Celebrity historical guest, hurrah!

[hr]

taking shots for mother nature
just a twinge of cosmic angst
Colleen

Re:

Postby Thalia on Mon May 12, 2008 7:22 pm

Urgh, it was such a crap lazy episode - they really shouldn't have bothered :P

[hr]

You've been nothing but an angel every day of your life and now you wonder what it's like to be damned...
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby Frank on Tue May 13, 2008 9:51 am

The Sonatarans Duo and the Doctor's Duaghter were pretty poor after a reasonably solid (i.e. not terrible, quite enjoyable) start to the season. I treat it as the season's obligatory Daleks of Manhattan/Slitheen/Crap-Olympics-Rubbish-One stuff.

It is saddening that it was one which actually built on the Time Lords stuff, Jenny's actor had almost nothing good in the script, and even the rest of the cast were left looking more than just a bit stupid throughout.

Again, cool ideas, executed terribly. Let's hope that Chistie's story/character is done more in a Dickens (emotional moving and interesting) rather than Shakespeare (I'm pretty much a win, it doesn't matter if I have character...) style.

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Also, some years later:
"here we are arguing about a few uppity troublemakers with a bee in their bonnet and a conspiracy theory."
Frank

Re:

Postby Colleen on Tue May 13, 2008 12:43 pm

I loved the Sontaran two-parter. This is, I should point out, mostly because I have a very big soft spot for the Sontarans/UNIT/Martha, and Old Skool references tend to make me happy. (If anyone heard a faint scream of "YAY BRIGADIER!" across St Andrews last Saturday, that was me.)

I've been great at avoiding spoilers thus far this year, so every episode is coming as a bit of a surprise; as such, I have no idea if the Christie one will be good.

Less sodding Rose references (or at least more like the interesting one we saw in The Poison Sky) would do me the power of good, incidentally.

[hr]

taking shots for mother nature
just a twinge of cosmic angst
Colleen

Re:

Postby maenad on Mon May 19, 2008 12:21 am

The concept of a war which has been going for generations and generations but only actually for seven days was great ... but why, then, was the commander of the humans so old?? Was he generated to be 62 or did they just miss a massive plot hole right there? Not to mention there was pretty much no fighting actually taking place.

The whole episode just seemd like an elaborate excuse to make a Jenny spin-off series. I don't ask for much from Who and have enjoyed this series a lot more than most, I think, but the friends who've been criticising it loved this episode. I don't get it.

[hr]

Tommy can you hear me?
Tommy can you hear me?
maenad

Return to DocSoc