Home

TheSinner.net

What do we get?

Please feel free to discuss any matters surrounding Fife Park. If you have any problems please e-mail the moderator of this board.

What do we get?

Postby g on Sun Aug 31, 2003 8:12 pm

Hi everybody!

I understand that Accommodation Services will provide me with an inventory for our house when I arrive, but I'd appreciate it loads if any of you could give me a bit more info just now.

It seems the uni can provide bedlinen, which is pretty handy since I wouldn't like to find the space to try and dry a sheet... Does this service work as advertised?

Is there a microwave in the kitchen? What cooking/eating things would you recommend I take?

The reason I'm asking all this is that I don't want to take a load of stuff down the road with me next month and find that I don't need most of it. Or, that I've left home without something vitally important.

Thanks for any answers/tips!

g
g

Re:

Postby Rennie on Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:24 pm

(This is taken from the guide written for Fife Park residents next year by the committee - unfortunately Accomodation aren't very accomodating and wouldn;t send them in the post to Fife Park residents so you'll find a copy on your bed when you arrive - a bit late I know but better than never)

Your room

The décor is plain white, or beige and not very attractive to look at in all of the rooms (as well as the rest of the house). Each bedroom in a house has the same furniture in it, which is:

A single (tiny) bed – with headboard
One wardrobe (either half size or full size depending if you have shelves)
One soft ‘leather’ chair
One harder plastic school style chair
One wooden desk
One set of 3 draws – with not much space in them
One bookcase with 4 shelves
A set of 2 long wall shelves (if you have a half size wardrobe only)
A notice board
An internal telephone
A network socket (for computers)

That is the entire list. It’s not much, but it fits into the room quite well, and the wardrobe, bookcase, desk and drawers are actually quite nice and modern. The furniture I found was necessary was a new desk chair, and a washing basket (the wardrobe isn’t very big) More storage space is also useful, but it is dependant on what you bring to University, most people find it adequate.

The internal phone in your room can be used to dial any other room, or most University buildings within St Andrews for free, using a 4 digit code. For example, David Russell Hall is 7100. You can even put an answer phone message on it, or set up an account to use the phone for calling anywhere! More details can be found in the information pack that should be in your room at the start of the year.

So, that's the main - sorry for spelling mistakes, I could only find an early revision of the document

What house are you living in?

Alex :)
Rennie

Re:

Postby Rennie on Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:28 pm

Oh, and...

There is a microwave in teh kitchen for next year, we managed to secure them and they should be all installed by the start of term.

The bedlinen is shit, I use my own and there is a laundry service (detailed in the info pack you will get on arrival) Bring two sets, so you have something to sleep in while you're washing the other one!

The cutlery and utensils are adequate, maybe bring a frying pan.
Rennie

Re:

Postby stan on Sun Aug 31, 2003 11:25 pm

and bring tea towels. last year i lived with some muppet who used to nick the sweat clothes from the uni gym and pass them off as suitable for drying dishes.

now who was that i wonder?
stan

Re:

Postby g on Mon Sep 01, 2003 12:06 pm

Thanks for the info! I'm staying in number 12 with four of my mates and a random. My friends and I were in Uni Hall last year, so we're looking forward to having a bit more freedom in Fife Park.

g
g

Re:

Postby wild_quinine on Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:41 pm

Random, you say?

From 'A Year In Fife Park'

Upstairs and the Randoms.

Fife Park, at the time, was the cheapest student accommodation in the UK. That does not make the final repair bill, which eventually tallied up at significantly more than a full year’s rent, any less impressive. The Park is a shitty set of late 1970s buildings modelled on your average Scottish pebble-dashed papier-mâché council estate. Each ‘house’ has six bedrooms, three up, three down, two bathrooms (with one shower), a kitchen which can comfortably seat four people as long as nobody is trying to cook, and a hallway with a flight of stairs. At the top of the flight of stairs is a sheer drop to the hall below made safe by a protective barrier which cuts off just below the average person’s centre of gravity.
The walls were made of painted cardboard; we know, because there were holes in them before the end of the year. The floor was covered with linoleum in the hallway and the kitchen. It was tiled in the downstairs bathroom. The two miniature corridors and each one of the rooms were carpeted in some kind of rough green hair which, barefoot, was extremely painful to walk on. The upstairs toilet was floored with something blue and slightly spongy. Lord knows what it was.
We had the upstairs of Fife Park Seven. There was a fire door between the small corridor (which led to rooms four, five, and six) and the pitifully small and dangerous landing. I was in room five. My partners in crime at the start of the year were Gxxxxx xxxxxxxx and Cxxxxx xxxxxxxx.
Gxxxxxx is a hard man, tall, thin and bony, but with an almost vampiric strength that wouldn’t be out of place on a man of twice his size. In fact, in our first year, he arm-wrestled a man with biceps twice his size, the late xxxxxx xxxxxxxxx, and the resulting battle lasted for forty-five minutes, until we were forcibly ejected from the Vic. There was no clear winner, but I reckon Gxxxxxx could have gone on forever.
He can also be quite anal, and quite, quite stubborn. He’s very particular about the way some things are done. He’s probably an obsessive compulsive. He’s got just a trace of that ‘bad guy’ streak that women like, without being an absolute cock. He’s very mysterious, and quite capable of doing the unexpected. That year we did things in the name of ‘Random’, and a lot of unexpected things happened.
Cxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx, on the other hand, is a big, hairy man. There’s no fairer way to put it. At the time, he was quite capable of putting away a bottle of vodka in an evening, and still making it out of the house. He had some seriously large hair on the go in our second year, and often sported a hooded top to match. Afterwards, he got it all cut and it’s quite scary how respectable he’s capable of looking. During the Fife Park year, he looked like a cross between Ché Guevara and the Unabomber.
‘I am the Walrus,’ Cxxxxxx would say, in excess of fifteen times per day. It was hard to disagree with him. Cxxxxxx is laid back. He’s not afraid. He seems to live by the maxim ‘It’s probably going to happen anyway, so why get worried?’ I can’t qualify further, without examples. This book is full of them.
Downstairs, in rooms one, two, and three, lived ‘the randoms’. Meeting them was a very surreal experience. They had all been to school together, and had all elected to live together. They all came from in or near the same small and unexalted village of Strathblane, notable not even for being a couple of typically Scottish syllables hammered together to make a new place name. (It’s near Stirling, apparently.)
We called them the randoms for a long time, even after we had been properly introduced. They didn’t like it. We called them the randoms anyway, in the main part because of our fixation with randomness.
That had all largely been spurned by a picture of Cxxxxxx and his friends partying in Arbroath. He had pointed out all of his friends by name, until he came to a toothless bloke with a huge fake afro grinning away in the corner of the photograph. ‘Who’s that?’ we had asked.
‘Dunno,’ Cxxxxx had replied. ‘Some Random Punter.’
From then on, we were in love with the possibility that surreal things could happen, seemingly without reason. It was a good ideal to aspire to, as they constantly seemed to. We drank to random, and we got it. Alcohol is a great leveller, for one thing, and putting together a previous evening’s events piecemeal is likely to be a surreal experience at the best of times.
The randoms were Graham xxxxxxx, Pxxxxxx xxxxxxx, and Jxxxxxx xxxxxx. Pxxxxxx went home in his aging VW golf every weekend to ride horses and visit his mentally deficient girlfriend. He’s a good looking blonde guy, who gets drunk very quickly.
Graham gets drunker, every weekend, and has reportedly pissed in the bathroom sink on more than one occasion. This remains quite simply inexplicable; it was next to the toilet, and in virtually the same room. Graham got more girls than anyone else in the house. He’s a small guy, but athletic and well proportioned. He’s always out for a good time. He probably pissed in the shower, too. We just don’t know. (Gxxxxxx always used to shower whilst wearing flip flops. At the start of the year, we thought this was just one more example of Gxxxxxx’s retentive nature. However, anal as he is, Gxxxxxxx is also a man of potentially enormous insight. The longer we lived in Fire Park, the more reasonable it seemed to become. Especially after the ‘washing powder’ incident.)
Jxxxxxxx is very quiet. He’s thin. He’s a genius. He looks like a man who smokes a lot of pot. I’m certain that at the start of second year I did not know what a man who smokes a lot of pot ought to look like; however if Jxxxxxx influenced my thinking on the matter in any way, it must be said that he makes a pretty good poster boy. It took longer to get to know Jxxxxxx than anyone else. He has long hair, and reportedly looks American. Or like a cocker spaniel, depending on who you believe. I think it’s the dimple in his chin that does it; the American thing, that is.
wild_quinine

Re:

Postby g on Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:23 pm

Another question, if I may.

Do we get a hoover/ironing board? Can't see me doing much of either really, but I think others in the house would appreciate it...

Cheers,
g
g

Re:

Postby stan on Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:43 pm

the penultimate post is the most 'random', pointless and enjoyable thing ive read on this website for a long time.
stan

Re:

Postby Rennie on Tue Sep 09, 2003 4:17 pm

Yeah, you get a hoover and an ironing board - and even an iron. A warning though, I threw our iron at the wall when it leaked all over my shirt I was about to wear out. So, if you're in House 6, make sure they've got a new iron, because the old one won't be working too well!
Rennie

Re:

Postby Imp on Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:07 pm

I hope Fife Park has improved since i lived there three years ago. It was godawful. I advise you bring some ducktape to tap up the windows in winter (my room got so cold that my computer stopped working and i could see my breath). I lived in the ist floor room at the back and i could hear my flatmate who lived on the bottom floor room next to kitchen cough. Also our upstairs bathroom window didn't shut and the bathroom flooded everytime it rained. I hated Fife Park with a passion. Also when i was there it was pre-new furniture so my drawers didn't work. Sorry, i always wanted to rant about just how S***t it was...
Imp

Re:

Postby Rennie on Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:20 am

Well Imp, it's changed a lot now - so try not to put people off. It is much better than when you lived here, and you haven't painted an accurate picture of Fife Park at present.

And, I don't think your computer would stop working unless your room was extremely cold (below 0C, seeing as they run pretty hot themselves
Rennie

Re:

Postby Imp on Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:40 am

Indeed, i hasten to remind people that this was three years ago and i was merely reminiscing. There have been alot of improvements (i've heard) since then. Also my computer case was actually open at the time hich i think made it more sensitive to the draft...
Imp

Re:

Postby Kirstin on Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:27 am

Even if anyone happens to move in and discovers windows that don't close etc it's pretty easy to lodge a repairs form at DRH reception, last year most complaints our house had were resolved within hours.
I meant what I said and I said what I meant. An elephant's faithful one-hundred percent.
Kirstin

Re:

Postby Rennie on Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:37 am

Yeah, I have to say that repairs are dealt with pretty swiftly round here now - this may have been different in the past.
Rennie

Re:

Postby penfold on Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:02 am

WHen you stayed there three years ago the manager left just before christmass and drh didn't have a clue what was going on.
penfold

Return to Fife Park