Home

TheSinner.net

Are all Americans hated?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Hm...

Postby Nina on Tue Sep 03, 2002 8:40 am

Mainly the New Yorkers from Connecticut??!

Not quite sure how you figured that one out, but the two are close so fair enough...

(And for the record, the people i've met in StA from New York and Greenwich are pretty great people)
Nina

Any American guys??

Postby Lyeta on Tue Sep 03, 2002 11:39 pm

Are there many american guys at St. Andrews? Or just girls? Anyway I have also been in a British secondary school and a US high school (in Brazil) and actually i found the American school to be much more open minded, relaxed and accepting.Dont kill me, just a comment seeing as we seemed to be looking at US vs UK education (im British btw, not American).
Lyeta

What's the difference between a Canoe and a Canuck?

Postby rae on Tue Sep 03, 2002 11:39 pm

The canoe tips.

They'll probably not let me back in the country for that one. I've heard that we don't tip which is strange since everyone I've met does. But we DO have great taste in beer! The only problem is, Americans (and the rest of the world for that matter) have never heard of our beers with wonderful names like "Rainforest Lager." They insist on drinking Coors and Kokanee instead of our lovely microbrews.
rae

Re:

Postby Oli on Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:42 am

I think the ratio of girls to guys is around 52% to 48%
Oli

Abbey

Postby Pilmour Boy on Tue Nov 12, 2002 12:22 am

Are you still around here? I've got a friend coming up to visit, and she's coming up with a friend of hers from Olympia. If you're interested in meeting/talking up with someone from home, we should be at the American Society Thanksgiving Dinner.
Pilmour Boy

Re:

Postby Abbey on Tue Nov 12, 2002 4:09 pm

[s]Pilmour Boy wrote on 00:22, 12th Nov 2002:
Are you still around here? I've got a friend coming up to visit, and she's coming up with a friend of hers from Olympia. If you're interested in meeting/talking up with someone from home, we should be at the American Society Thanksgiving Dinner.

Yea, I'm still lurking :) Is the dinner on Thursday? If so, I won't be able to make it. My friend and I aren't coming into town until Friday afternoon- and we're staying until Sunday morning. So maybe I'll bump into you sometime. Oh, and who's your friend from Olympia? Maybe I know her.
Abbey

Re:

Postby Pilmour Boy on Tue Nov 12, 2002 10:26 pm

[s]Unregisted User Abbey wrote on 05:00, 12th Nov 2002:
[s]Pilmour Boy wrote on 00:22, 12th Nov 2002:[i]

Yea, I'm still lurking :) Is the dinner on Thursday? If so, I won't be able to make it. My friend and I aren't coming into town until Friday afternoon- and we're staying until Sunday morning. So maybe I'll bump into you sometime. Oh, and who's your friend from Olympia? Maybe I know her.
[/i]

Not really my friend, really the friend of my Seattle friend :) who's coming up to visit. The Olympian is called Jade and she's spending a year studying at the Gonzaga College in Florence. I'm not sure if she's actually a Bulldog though.
Pilmour Boy

Re:

Postby rhodesia84 on Tue Nov 12, 2002 11:42 pm

Someone inquired as to whether or not their are any American guys here, and I happy to be one. Actually from Bronxville NY, about midway between Greenwich CT and New York City. For the record, I have no hopes nor intentions of marrying Prince William as I am straight, male, and Catholic.

Most of the Americans here do seem to be pretty affluent. The thing that really sucks though is that there are so many West Coast people. As any proper New Yorker/New Englander will tell you: West Coast people are pretty much all trash, no matter what their economic status.

I actually didn't want to come here but my parents forced me to for lord only knows what reason. Luckily they said if I didn't like it I could transfer after a year, and so I plan to.
rhodesia84

Re:

Postby S.P.I.G on Wed Nov 13, 2002 12:50 am

from experience West Coast people aren't the friendliest or deepest...
S.P.I.G

To Rhodesia

Postby me on Wed Nov 13, 2002 9:23 am

Rhodesia,

I'm coming to St. Andrews next semester, and I am from the South! I'm Catholic too (sort of). Anyways, if you want to chat, just reply and I'll give you my email.
me

Huh?

Postby Delilah on Wed Nov 13, 2002 9:23 am

All west coast people are trash?...Why do you think that? Hasn't anyone told you not to rely on steroetypes, so you won't end up making stupid comments like that?

People that are trash are everywhere, INCLUDING NEW YORK. And I'm sorry if you've met people from the West Coast who aren't very nice...just don't go around making assumptions.
Delilah

Re:

Postby Abbey on Wed Nov 13, 2002 9:24 am

[s]S.P.I.G wrote on 00:50, 13th Nov 2002:

Ouch. I'd say you're generally referring to the California Valley girl though, right?
Abbey

here here!

Postby Miss Maryland on Wed Nov 13, 2002 9:25 am

[s]S.P.I.G wrote on 00:50, 13th Nov 2002:

Well said, and same to mr. rhodesia! I'm coming here next year. Are most of the americans californians?

As to the whole Prince William thing, I think it's funny that I've decided to go to St. Andrews, because I have a lot in common (no bad traits though) with Wallis Simpson, the divorcee that an english king abdicated his throne to marry. I, too, am:

1. Catholic
2. From Maryland (Wallis was from Baltimore)
3. I am related to her! I was talking about her the other day in front of my grandmother, and she became very cross. Apparently Mrs. Simpson's maiden name was Warfield, and my Grandmother is a Warfield, and told me some stories about this imfamous character.
because of this i'd be quite unappealing to a future king of england.
Miss Maryland

Re:

Postby me on Wed Nov 13, 2002 6:23 pm

Maryland are you coming next year for JYA, next semester or for your undergrad?
me

Re:

Postby S.P.I.G on Wed Nov 13, 2002 10:34 pm

No Abbey - I'm referring to them all...unless the valley is a "hella" big place and they all manage to send a "holla" to each other over the whole expanse of California....
S.P.I.G

Re:

Postby Miss Maryland on Wed Nov 13, 2002 11:27 pm

[s]Unregisted User me wrote on 16:37, 13th Nov 2002:
Maryland are you coming next year for JYA, next semester or for your undergrad?

next year as an undergrad.
Miss Maryland

Re:

Postby rae on Wed Nov 13, 2002 11:42 pm

Look--we have a new Lilies!
In America they think 100 years is old and in Britain they think 100 miles is far.
rae

Re:

Postby Al on Wed Nov 13, 2002 11:44 pm

Who? A new who?

[hr]"The greatest enjoyment from existence is living dangerously"
Al

Re:

Postby Abbey on Thu Nov 14, 2002 8:44 am

[s]S.P.I.G wrote on 22:34, 13th Nov 2002:
No Abbey - I'm referring to them all...unless the valley is a "hella" big place and they all manage to send a "holla" to each other over the whole expanse of California....

Well, it is hella big. I think latest consensus says one in eight Americans lives in California. I'd call that pretty damn big, wouldn't you?
Abbey

Re:

Postby lazyjayn on Thu Nov 14, 2002 2:21 pm

closer to one in six. 270mil people, give or take, and between 40 and 55 million of them live in CA. Mostly in LA, thank bob.

j.
lazyjayn

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board