Home

TheSinner.net

ma bells? twhat is that about, he who's who

Welcome to the Union message board. Here's your opportunity to tell us what you think of what we're doing on your behalf. Enjoy! - Oli Walker, Head of Media, Marketing and Design, http://www.YourUnion.netPlease post any requests for advice (about anything) on The Sinner's ADVICE board. Ta!

ma bells? twhat is that about, he who's who

Postby rachel muir on Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:28 pm

what is the big deal with ma bell's seriously???? everyone talks about it as though it were the best place on earth...maybe it's a little bit louder and a little bit fab compared the rest here in town but come on! i don[t get it can someone help me out here?
rachel muir

Re:

Postby PurelySynthetic on Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:50 pm

Hmm sweeping generalisation there - i for one have only been in ma bells twice in the 4 years ive been in st andrews - and i have no reason to ever want to go back in there.
Both times i went in i felt like i shouldnt be there with a number of posh blonde sluts and posh male twats giving me the dirtiest looks just because i dared to walk in wearing baggy jeans and a top and speaking with a scottish accent.
It may have changed since then - but i dont really feel the need to go back in! :D
A pub with a good atmosphere - raisin!
PurelySynthetic

thank you for responding...

Postby Rachel Muir on Thu Nov 27, 2003 12:11 pm

i swear huked on foniks wurkd 4 mee! just kidding, i don't know what happened to my heading though. when it got posted it went all over the place. so i am sorry about that.

anywhoo, i know that i made a somewhat hasty generalization but good grief, just thinking about the people who go in their with their hoity-toity, to hot to trot, attitudes makes me sick! no serisouly, gag me with a wooden spoon! the stench of "fake" aristocratic air is just sweaping through that place to the point of grossness! i mean it reeks of everything that is wrong with society. so i made up my mind, i am so going to go in there (go in decked out first and then change clothes of course ->)to funky second hand jeans, holes in my t-shirt, dirty shoes, ratted hair, make-up done in the dark, and an attitude sure to spice things up! oh and lets not forget the pre-makeover Eliza Doolittle accent either oh ya, it's on...

now i know that you could say "why even let it get to you" but i can't take it anymore, i just can't hold anything in to be "nice" anymore you know.

and yes, i like the other pubs much better, i think that they have something that ma bell's will never have, that special something that makes you want to go back not for the drinks but for the company and because "everybody knows your name." (had to put that in there...CHEERS!)
Rachel Muir

Re:

Postby Miss Maryland on Thu Nov 27, 2003 6:15 pm

not 'everybody' thinks it's the best place to go. i think it's nice and pretty inside, but i don't really fit in with the regulars there. i prefer the union for its cheapness.

[hr]...and there was much rejoicing.
...and there was much rejoicing.
Miss Maryland

why don't you feel like you fit in?

Postby Rachel Muir on Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:05 pm

why do you feel so different, what is it about "them" that you are comparing yourself to feel lesser or whatever other feeling you feel when in their presence?

i personally have had enough of them, and all the other people that are like them. i mean i just don't understand how anyone could think that they are holier than thou or like their pooh don't stink when we all know it does! and i know that this may seem like it is kind of out on left field here but it reminds me of that quote made about race, "if you get cut, what color do you bleed? The same as everyone else because we are all people, we are all just people trying to live." it's almost as if the "snobs and yahs" have disassociated themselves from all the people that they feel are "lower" than them to the point where they think that universe revolves around them. um...hmm...ya i don't think so!! PUNKS!

and another thing, class both social and economic, is earned not simply given based on who your mommy or daddy are or whether or not you can mix with these people or go to the swiss alps for a day or two to ski. it's like MIT, they breed a class of their own who, upon graduation, think that they are just "it", it doesn't get any better than them which we all know is sad and ridiculous.

I wish that i could or someone else would knock these people down a peg or two because it's not helping anybody.

and maybe you think that it's with jealousy that i write with such fervor but the again, maybe it's to try and wake people up. are you awake?
Rachel Muir

Re:

Postby Miss Maryland on Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:16 pm

[s]Unregisted User Rachel Muir wrote on 20:38, 27th Nov 2003:
why do you feel so different, what is it about "them" that you are comparing yourself to feel lesser or whatever other feeling you feel when in their presence?

i don't feel inferior to them at all. spending time with or near yahs is, in my opinion, a waste of my time. i don't fit in because i choose not to.

[hr]
Miss Maryland

somethings come along and its burst ur bubble

Postby Concerned reader on Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:03 pm

i think these people seriously need their bubble burst. - have you ever tried to talk to one in an "art" class?

.........heaven forbid ;-)
Concerned reader

not yet

Postby rachel muir on Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:28 pm

no, i guess i haven't been lucky enough to but maybe i should...
rachel muir

Re:

Postby Paranoid on Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:35 am

I prefer 'pubs' where i can have a fair chance of getting a seat, dont think I've ever achieved the feat of sitting down with a drink in Ma Bells on a night out!

[hr]..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
Paranoid

Ya bells

Postby Zoe the Temple of Doom on Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:29 pm

it isnt all it used to be! the new place to be 'seen' in now is last years unofficial gay bar The West port.The funniest thing about yas ( and i have discovered this with neds too) is that they will deny what they are. Along the same lines the people that appear in the Halo section being drunk etc You are all Yas. yes you are!
Zoe the Temple of Doom

Re:

Postby Paranoid on Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:54 pm

Nonsence...there all JBH residents! LOL! (it is true!).

Ma Bells isn't too bad, to be honest if someone gives me a dirty look I shoot one back! Who cares what they think! But I dont like the place simply cause its like a can of sardines, your all stuffed inside and once in you wont be able to have any form of conversation above the noise...now if you were to ask about the Lizard...there's a nice chill out zone (although it can get crowded by 11/12ish)
..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
Paranoid

Re:

Postby possom on Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:37 pm

[s]Unregisted User Zoe the Temple of Doom wrote on 18:08, 12th Mar 2004:
it isnt all it used to be! the new place to be 'seen' in now is last years unofficial gay bar The West port.The funniest thing about yas ( and i have discovered this with neds too) is that they will deny what they are. Along the same lines the people that appear in the Halo section being drunk etc You are all Yas. yes you are!

I was in halo once, and I am anything but a yah! I was just pissed in the bop and had just fallen over....

Nor am I a John Burnett resident, I@m Gatty scum and proud! :-)
possom

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:00 pm

That wasn't very evil was it now possom?

[hr]Management: The art of writing like you know what you're talking about and making others believe it.

(munchingfoo comprehensive dictionary)

For a cool webgame click here. Its free to join, jpls use the link though so i get recognition. Clicking on the link doesn't make you join it just gets you to the site. I don't get anything until you actualy join using this link so have a look and decide for yourself:

http://bcgdeaa1.memset.net/battlewang/r ... p?rid=5930
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Joesta on Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:45 am

[s]Unregisted User Zoe the Temple of Doom wrote on 18:08, 12th Mar 2004:

Ah the Westport, where yahs and neds can drink alongside eachother in peace. I never liked the Westport and was definetly not impressed when some poor student got into a fight with some ned then two ned friends started kicking the students head. Actually, that day there were three fights around St Andrews involving probably the same group, the one at the Westport, one at the Gin House and the other in between the allies joining Market and South Street.

[hr]
Words without actions are the assassins of idealism.
Herbert Hoover (1874 - 1964)
Joesta

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:55 am

I think both places are good, but you need to be with friends. I particularly like the Westport. And lets gt over this 'yah' stereotype, as it does not make any sense.
There are people who are bastards who are better-off, and there are people who are bastards everywhere else. I don't think you should sully the name of several hundred students at this university with your broad-brush comments.
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

The joy of smileys

Postby Joesta on Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:31 pm

[s]Mr Comedy wrote on 01:55, 24th Mar 2004:
I think both places are good, but you need to be with friends. I particularly like the Westport. And lets gt over this 'yah' stereotype, as it does not make any sense.
There are people who are bastards who are better-off, and there are people who are bastards everywhere else. I don't think you should sully the name of several hundred students at this university with your broad-brush comments.

The Gin House is OK, Ma Bells is cosy, Westport isn't my cup of tea. Just in case that comment was aimed at me, I wasn't trying to demean any students, I just stated a fact about what I've seen there. Finally, anybody can become a 'yah', assuming that a yah is just a snooty individual, so you're bound to get them everywhere. But we all know that the best bar in St Andrews is probably Broons and the best pub was Droughies - too smokey now :(, and now is the Celler / Aikmans. :)

[hr]
Words without actions are the assassins of idealism.
Herbert Hoover (1874 - 1964)
Joesta

stereotypes

Postby Alex on Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:19 pm

I totally agree. i will be coming to st andrews in sept. i went to a private school. so what does that make me a spoilt, snob person...I guess!
thankx for pointing out that stereotyping is what causes wars!
take care

[s]Joesta wrote on 23:31, 27th Mar 2004:
[s]Mr Comedy wrote on 01:55, 24th Mar 2004:[i]
Alex

Return to The Students' Association (Union)