Home

TheSinner.net

ELECTION RESULTS

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

ELECTION RESULTS

Postby Marco Biagi on Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:19 pm

Okay, these election results get a bit complicated. Everyone unopposed won.

SSC Performing Arts Officer
Michael Stacey 295 309 WIN
Andrew-Mark Hanrahan 259 275
RON 54

SRC Member for Private Accommodation / Crichton Montrose (2 places to be elected)
Steve Savage 333 WIN
Stewart Drennan 199 WIN
RON 62

And now the fun bit. Two fines were levied by the Election Officers Committee, each of 25 votes, against Michael Choong and Louise Hallman. The Senior Elections Officer declared that these votes were not to be discounted entirely, but in the event of redistribution of those candidates, were to count. Since the stage of redistribution was later found to be potentially critical to the result, Michael Choong's fine was redistributed immediately.

Louise Hallman 132
David Bean 213
Melissa Boyd 145
Michael Choong 213
RON 8

The fines are levied, with Michael Choong's redistributed immediately.

Louise Hallman 111.87
David Bean 219.69
Melissa Boyd 150.75
Michael Choong 189
RON 11.63

Quota is 341.48. No candidate has reached quota. RON is redistributed.

Hallman 113.34
Bean 224.25
Boyd 151.75
Choong 190

Quota is 339.68. No candidate has reached quota. Louise Hallman is redistributed.

Bean 269.70
Boyd 211.72
Choong 213

Quota is 347.21 (this is larger because it now takes Hallman's 25 votes into account). No candidate has reached quota. Melissa Boyd is redistributed.

Bean 376.67
Choong 285

Quota is therefore 330.84. David Bean is therefore elected.

Congratulations one and all.

[hr]

No more elections. Except tragically watching this General Election.
And hello Mum.
Marco Biagi

Re:

Postby puzzled on Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:40 pm

Quoting Marco Biagi from 16:19, 23rd Apr 2005
And now the fun bit. Two fines were levied by the Election Officers Committee, each of 25 votes, against Michael Choong and Louise Hallman.

What were they fined for?
puzzled

Re:

Postby Light the Rag on Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:50 pm

How is the quota determined?

Can the process of STV vote counting be explained in full on the union website?
Light the Rag

Re:

Postby David Bean on Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:52 pm

I just wanted to say commiserations to my three opponents, and well done on running such a tight race. Apart from that, many, many thanks to all of the wonderful people on my campaigning team – particularly Marco ‘the architect’ Biagi, Steve Savage with his... innovative technique of manhandling his friends up to the campaigning line, ‘Queen of Flyering’ Victoria Westwood, and everyone else. Thanks too to all those of you who voted, whether for me or anyone else: the turnout wasn’t stellar, but it was a heck of a lot better than most of us expected.

I’m looking forward to this...
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby Zombie Sheep on Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:01 pm

Congratulations Mr Bean, I said way back in first year that you were destined for greatness. Anyone care to explain the fines, then?

[hr]

We've got so much chat, I'm going to have to get my ice pick out and scale the north face of Chat-mandu!

http://www.zombiesheep.name
Zombie Sheep

Re:

Postby Steveo on Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:06 pm

Quoting light the rag from 16:50, 23rd Apr 2005

You actually want to know how STV works? Oh dear. When I was an Elections Officer for the General Election, I was told, it's quite simple.

You take all the ballots, and make piles for each candidate, in the pile for Mr X you place all the ballots that put a number 1 by Mr X and so on for all the candidates first preferences.

These are then counted, and if one candidate reaches quota he or she wins. If no one reaches quota, then the person with the least fitst preferences is redistriduted, meaning that all those ballots are then placed in the piles for the candidate who got the second preference of the redistibuted person. RON gets redistributed for example, if you placed 1 by RON and 2 by Mr X, all those number 2's go to Mr X.

The world explodes, and with each redistibution the total valid vote can change as more ballots become spoils, where for example someone has only put a number 1 by their candidate and no other preferences.

I'd suggest you be an elections officer, it's always short of people and you get to know the Union backwards, and it looks good on a CV.

[hr]

[s]Alone at night, I feel so strange, I need to find all the answers to my dreams[/s]
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:14 pm

Well done david. (I only posted here to see what my new signiture looks like :P)

[hr]

My entire life in boolean logic

¬emptyGlass(pint) => drinking(Andy)
emptyGlass(pint) AND ¬stomache(full) => buy(pint)
emptyGlass(pint) AND stomache(full) => buy(vodka)
¬emptyGlass(vodka) => drinking(Andy)
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Light the Rag on Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:17 pm

So, my original questions:

Light the Rag

Re:

Postby Newty on Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:25 pm

Top stuff Beany.
Will Watson. Medical student. Cake lover.
Newty

Re:

Postby Si on Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:44 pm

Quoting Marco Biagi from 16:19, 23rd Apr 2005
Okay, these election results get a bit complicated. Everyone unopposed won.

SSC Performing Arts Officer
Michael Stacey 295 309 WIN
Andrew-Mark Hanrahan 259 275
RON 54

SRC Member for Private Accommodation / Crichton Montrose (2 places to be elected)
Steve Savage 333 WIN
Stewart Drennan 199 WIN
RON 62

And now the fun bit. Two fines were levied by the Election Officers Committee, each of 25 votes, against Michael Choong and Louise Hallman. The Senior Elections Officer declared that these votes were not to be discounted entirely, but in the event of redistribution of those candidates, were to count. Since the stage of redistribution was later found to be potentially critical to the result, Michael Choong's fine was redistributed immediately.

Louise Hallman 132
David Bean 213
Melissa Boyd 145
Michael Choong 213
RON 8

The fines are levied, with Michael Choong's redistributed immediately.

Louise Hallman 111.87
David Bean 219.69
Melissa Boyd 150.75
Michael Choong 189
RON 11.63

Quota is 341.48. No candidate has reached quota. RON is redistributed.

Hallman 113.34
Bean 224.25
Boyd 151.75
Choong 190

Quota is 339.68. No candidate has reached quota. Louise Hallman is redistributed.

Bean 269.70
Boyd 211.72
Choong 213

Quota is 347.21 (this is larger because it now takes Hallman's 25 votes into account). No candidate has reached quota. Melissa Boyd is redistributed.

Bean 376.67
Choong 285

Quota is therefore 330.84. David Bean is therefore elected.

Congratulations one and all.

[hr]

No more elections. Except tragically watching this General Election.
And hello Mum.

And you wonder why not many people are interested in university politics??!!! That could be written in Greek as far as I am concerned. What is wrong with the good old-fashioned system of "the person with the most votes wins"? What on earth is a quota and who is this RON dude who seems to stand for every position but never wins.

I assume I am being really stupid but I really cannot get to grips with this system at all. And I am pretty sure that I am not alone.
Si

Re:

Postby Ben Reilly on Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:47 pm

Quoting light the rag from 17:17, 23rd Apr 2005
So, my original questions:

The smallest number of possible votes that are greater than 50% of the total number of valid votes.

As to a full explanation of STV, one is most certainly going to be put together.
Ben Reilly

Re:

Postby Al on Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:48 pm

It's not really STV. It's AV. More or less. Anyway, quotas. The Association seems to have developed a unique view on quotas. In the past, where the election was in a constituency with one representative, the quota was always set at half the total number of votes + 1.

Of course, the Union is free to use whatever bizarre system they choose. What I don't understand is how Louise Hallman ended up with less votes after the fine had been levied on Choong than she had after the first count. And then again after the redistribution of RON. Surely it should have stayed, at least, the same.

[hr]

Life is too important to be taken seriously.
Al

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:52 pm

Quoting Al from 17:48, 23rd Apr 2005
Of course, the Union is free to use whatever bizarre system they choose. What I don't understand is how Louise Hallman ended up with less votes after the fine had been levied on Choong than she had after the first count. And then again after the redistribution of RON.

the basic idea is that NOBODY understands and are bemused into ignorant submission

[hr]

[s]It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas and half a pack of cigarettes. It's dark and we're wearing sunglasses. Hit it.[/s]
http://www.magnificentoctopus.com/
flarewearer

Still Confused of Abbotsford Crescent

Postby adam freeman on Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:54 pm

I posted this question on the 'elections hecklings and whatever' thread yesterday - but i guess this is where it's at now, election wise... QUESTION:

Obviously this argument's already been had so apologies if i'm picking at old sores, but i was just wondering why it was thought necessary to hold this second election for 'Director of Student Development and Activities' given than the position was (more or less) 'embedded' in the DoS, the election process for which delivered two candidates with a high (and almost equally high) level of support.

If it's reckoned that it makes the most sense for candidates to be voted into the precise position they were actually running for, then shouldn't Chris Marks have been asked to stand again in order to confirm our approval of his new (undemocratically allocated) position. ((I really REALLY don't care about that, but it sort of makes a point!))

I actually think that ALL the candidates for this DoSDA thing are really good, but whatever the result today, it is unlikely that ANY of them will receive as many votes as Melissa Boyd did first time around.

Why couldn't the students just have had BOTH the candidates they liked in the first election? I'm confused.
adam freeman

Re:

Postby Steveo on Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:12 pm

I'd say she didn't get it because she didn't win anything.

[hr]

[s]Alone at night, I feel so strange, I need to find all the answers to my dreams[/s]
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby Light the Rag on Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:34 pm

It could be said that the position was put up for election because it is different from that of Director of Services.

By offering a different post, new candidates may be attracted (as in the case of Bean and Choong).

It could also be said that Boyd didn't win the DoS election as people may not have thought her suitable as organiser of events and services. Including the new position in a separate election allows people to make a new decision.

[hr]
[s]"On the day of judgement there shall be much wailing and gnashing of teeth"

- "But I don't have any teeth"

"On the day of judgement, teeth will be provided
Light the Rag

Re:

Postby adam freeman on Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:45 pm

But to the untrained eye you wouldn't think that Stewart Drennan had won anything -- that looks like a fairly poor second to Steve Savage...but he HAS been elected (?) ... to lay it out the way marco does above, wasn't the first DoS election (retroactively, I know) something like this:

Director of Student Thingy I / Director of Student Thingy II (2 places to be elected)

OR ... surely we should have an opportunity to confirm Chris Marks into his new position (that might have attracted new candidates as well).

i'm jus' sayin'!
adam freeman

Re:

Postby JAK on Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:02 pm

How do you get point whatever votes?

[hr]

I got my BBC
I got my BBC
JAK

Re:

Postby Guest on Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:11 pm

But it looks like Stewart Drennan has just been elected without 'winning anything' - i'd say that looks like a fairly poor second. surely, to arrange it the way marco does above, the first DoS election was:

Director of Student Thingy I / Director of Student Thingy II (2 places to be elected)

Re:

Postby Ben Reilly on Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:33 pm

Quoting adam freeman from 19:45, 23rd Apr 2005
But to the untrained eye you wouldn't think that Stewart Drennan had won anything -- that looks like a fairly poor second to Steve Savage...but he HAS been elected (?) ... to lay it out the way marco does above, wasn't the first DoS election (retroactively, I know) something like this:

OR ... surely we should have an opportunity to confirm Chris Marks into his new position (that might have attracted new candidates as well).

i'm jus' sayin'!

At no point prior to the first set of elections was it fully determined that the job was going to be split (i.e. no Board or Court approval as is required for a new sabbatical (it requires an amendment to the constitution)). If Chris Marks had wanted to, he could have chosen to do the entire job that he was elected to- instead he chose to do the portion that he felt he was best for.

While he could have, theoretically, chosen to do the entire job for the year, the ents and socs officers would probably have killed him if their degrees went down the drain (a not unknown occurrence for ents officers) because he'd chosen to do that. Instead, it was decided to hold a by-election at the earliest possible opportunity. This week.
Ben Reilly

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board