Home

TheSinner.net

St Regulus - What's it like?

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

St Regulus - What's it like?

Postby JamesBTaylor on Mon May 02, 2005 8:23 pm

Apart from the buff in the university brochure, what is it really like?

Looks like thats where I'll be this september.
JamesBTaylor

Re:

Postby bramble on Mon May 02, 2005 9:41 pm

Lovely! Great atmosphere and small enough that you know most people! Its close to town and a great way to start uni life! Im so chuffed you got in, you must be so excited!

[hr]

How can i think i'm standing strong, yet feel the air beneath my feet? How can happiness feel so wrong? How can misery feel so sweet?
Ich will die Ruhe stören...
bramble

Re:

Postby Blondie515 on Tue May 03, 2005 8:42 am

Best hall in the world!!! food is a bit crap sometimes but most of the rooms are a decent size and some of them are huge, most people are in the mian hall but 45 ish are in a the annexe 2 mins away. Do u have a single room or are u sharing cos that and wether ur a girl or a bloke will affect where u get put!

Really nice family type atmosphere everyone gets to know each other a lot more than in new hall and the other bigger ones. We just elected next years commitee and they shud organise sum gr8 events for you. My freshers week was def really good (what i remember of it).

Good luck have fun x
Blondie515

Re:

Postby amac on Tue May 03, 2005 10:32 am

I totally agree with what's been said already. I thought i'd add that the official Regs website and Forum (if you have any more specific questions) is http://www.st-regs.co.uk/ .
amac

Re:

Postby Katie on Tue May 03, 2005 10:34 am

Quoting JamesBTaylor from 20:46, 2nd May 2005
Apart from the buff in the university brochure, what is it really like?

Looks like thats where I'll be this september.

does this mean you have found out about accomodation already?! they said it would be from May onwards...but i thought they said that so i'd stop annoying them with emails :-P
Katie

Re:

Postby Allan on Tue May 03, 2005 11:04 am

Are the single rooms in the annex nice as this is where I will be next year.
Allan

Re:

Postby bramble on Tue May 03, 2005 11:59 am

Quoting Allan from 14:04, 3rd May 2005

Yes!!! I had one there and the annex is its own wee community and a bit quieter than the main hall :)
Lucky you to be living there :)

[hr]

How can i think i'm standing strong, yet feel the air beneath my feet? How can happiness feel so wrong? How can misery feel so sweet?
Ich will die Ruhe stören...
bramble

Re:

Postby Little_miss_chatterbox on Tue May 03, 2005 4:59 pm

I love St Regs, its such a small hall that you know everyone and will always see a face you know walking down the oh so long Queens Gardens. I am living in the annexe this year and really have enjoyed my time here. And an added bonus of living in the annexe is that we have a brand new huge kitchen!

St Regs is one of the closest hall to town and the gin house will become your home!!!
Little_miss_chatterbox

Re:

Postby amac on Tue May 03, 2005 7:35 pm

Quoting Allan from 14:04, 3rd May 2005

The Regs annex is THE place to be in halls! Big rooms, nice new kitchen etc... I didn't appreciate the thick walls until it was too late :(
amac

Re:

Postby Regs Sucks Big Hairy Balls on Wed May 04, 2005 9:14 am

Well, bearing in mind so far this week someone's broken all the pool cues and the TV has been locked cos of someone trying to set fire to something then throwing the remotes out of the window, Regs sounds like a lovely hall...
Regs Sucks Big Hairy Balls

Re:

Postby Koala Boy on Wed May 04, 2005 10:29 am

I would agree with Regs sucks big hairy balls.

Regs this year has more than its fair share of inconsiderate selfish wankers and I would estimate that most of them live on D floor, which sucks anyway because it has smaller rooms and thinner walls than the rest of the hall, not to mention having to walk up three flights of stairs.

To be honest, as a first year you'll probably love Regs. Just don't live there in fourth year , when:

A. you don't want to make friends with a bunch of wasters
B. you need to work so you don't want drunken fuckers running up and down the corridor screaming at 3 am
C. you don't really want to participate in wanky hall events, you just want your meals cooked for you and your room cleaned, yet they still charge you £60 hall subs

[hr]

He sleeps 19 hours a day, and eats 5 hours a day. He allows you to pet him, not so much because he likes it, but because he's too lazy to do anything about it.
IMAGE:images.google.co.uk/images?q=tbn:Shzgv4TMVXgJ:www.filelibrary.com:8080/cgi-bin/freedownload/Multi-Platform/l/90/koala.gif
Koala Boy

Re:

Postby john chillout? on Thu May 05, 2005 7:12 pm

[quote]Quoting Koala Boy from 13:29, 4th May 2005
I would agree with Regs sucks big hairy balls.

Regs this year has more than its fair share of inconsiderate selfish wankers and I would estimate that most of them live on D floor, which sucks anyway because it has smaller rooms and thinner walls than the rest of the hall, not to mention having to walk up three flights of stairs.

To be honest, as a first year you'll probably love Regs. Just don't live there in fourth year , when:

A. you don't want to make friends with a bunch of wasters
B. you need to work so you don't want drunken fuckers running up and down the corridor screaming at 3 am
C. you don't really want to participate in wanky hall events, you just want your meals cooked for you and your room cleaned, yet they still charge you £60 hall subs

[hr]

He sleeps 19 hours a day, and eats 5 hours a day. He allows you to pet him, not so much because he likes it, but because he's too lazy to do anything about it.
IMAGE:images.google.co.uk/images?q=tbn:Shzgv4TMVXgJ:www.

i am sorry to hear that you did not have any friends to share a flat with in fourth year and by the sounds of things it is because you have little sense of humour or fun.
i appreciate that you are in fourth year and need to get some work done but is this not the very purpose of our first class library (now with even longer opening hours)?

i had friends in regs last year and they had a fantastic time probably because they made the effort of going to hall organised events and generally whinged a lot less.

halls in the centre of town have a reputation of being fun and regs is reputedly one of the funnest halls.

it is unfair of you to put prospective students off in this way.

lecture over, i still love you xxxxxxx
john chillout?

Re:

Postby Blondie515 on Thu May 05, 2005 8:30 pm

i agree! im a med student in regs and i value my work and having a decent environment to work in, regs has a study room that believe me is never rowdy and first year is about enjoying yourself and meeting people as well as getting your degree.

The hall subs was 60 quid this year and we have had masses of subsidised/free events on it that have been great fun, not to mention the daily papers etc.

It is an unfair and pathetic genralisation to say regs is full of wasters, people work hard and play hard.

Yes there is noise, but its tightly controlled around exam time and if u complain the wardens are good at yelling at u! the general rule is quiet after 11 but they tend to be relaxed about it particularly on the weekends.

In short its a great hall, with great people

Yeah there are those who want to ruin it for everyone but welcome to life!
Blondie515

Re:

Postby flossy on Fri May 06, 2005 6:54 am

Johnchillout, I think that's a little harsh. A lot of 4th years move back into halls because they don't want the stress of cooking, cleaning, paying bills etc in what is the most important year of uni.

I think the layout of Regs means that they could have a system like New Hall, in which the returning students are mostly on the same floor so the first years can be as noisy as they like on their own floor. A lot of the time Regs seems like boarding school without a helluva lot of the rules. If you enjoy making toasties at 3am or running races down corridors after a few pints, you'll love it. If, on the other hand, you're determined to work, it might not be the hall for you.

[hr]

Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the substrate.
flossy

Re:

Postby JamesBTaylor on Sun May 08, 2005 9:02 am

I am in D - number 3? or 4 i think. I can't find the envelope at the moment.

It sounds good. Is Queens Gdns a long walk to lectures then or do I detect a hint of sarcasm?

Looking forward to meeting all you lovely peoples.

James.
JamesBTaylor

Re:

Postby Blondie515 on Sun May 08, 2005 10:37 am

D floor is the top floor, at the mo its half girls half guys.

Its a tiny walk to lectures unless ur doing chemistry or physics or management or something in the purdie building direction. If your a medic or doing a language its really close.
Blondie515

Re:

Postby Tinkerbellz on Thu May 19, 2005 2:51 pm

I lived in DRA this year and had all the luxury of my own bathroom and a double bed, but something was lacking, and that is why i reapplied to Regs. I have quite a few friends there, and they are all great people who will be staying there next year. You will have a great time, it seems like such a close knit hall, that is one of the reasons why i am psyched that i will be living there next year.
You are gonna have a fantastic time in Regs, its an amazing hall.
Tinkerbellz

Return to Advice Please!