Home

TheSinner.net

Unofficial Game Commentary Round 3

The Official Board for St Andrews Assassins 2006. Check rules, gloat over victories or moan about your early death. Please note you must be a registered user to post on this board

Unofficial Game Commentary Round 3

Postby October on Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:07 pm

As Amorphous has said.
As the Clocks all around St Andrews hit 12:
THE GAME HAS BEGUN!!!

And so with it, every assassin in town got that little more paranoid.
Yay us.

Thanks for givening out the targets last night.
earlyer than I thought, ment that not eveyone has locked their facebook.

So with the massive amount of weaponry now in St A's is it safe to leave your house?

[hr]

I never thought I be so grateful that my best friend from college went on to become the director of the CIA.
Does no-one feel that giving geeks a justification such as Article 31 a bad move? - Frank
October

Re:

Postby Amorphous on Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:32 pm

Yeah, we were quite gung-ho about targets and everything this time, wanted to make sure that everyone had time to receive the email before the game started.

As for not locking Facebook profiles... well... it's a schoolboy error. :P I know some people locked their profiles the moment they sent the sign-up email.

And in response to your last question... it's ALWAYS safe to leave my house!
If Jack Bauer was put in a room with Joseph Stalin, Adolf Hitler and Nina Myers and handed a gun with two bullets, he'd shoot Nina twice.
Amorphous

Re:

Postby Frank on Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:09 pm

Lock it? Lock it? But it has everything I want them to know on it...

Just checked the toy-shop on South Street, they've a fine assortment of swords on offer for those who want them! Difficult to hide, but very enjoyable. Only (obvious) projectile weapons I could see looked to much like 'the real McCoy', so stick to Woolworths, Argos and those other few dotted about town to increase your ammo.

Walking through town has never been so paranoid...I think I'm beginning to dash from safe zone to safe zone...

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Frank

Hit Squad: Back and Organized

Postby Fedoraccoon on Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:00 pm

Be afraid assassins, be very afraid. The hit squad now has its own secret target database, a database only accessible to other squad members. The once loosely associated hit squad can now coordinate it's efforts to hunt you down. Of course at the moment we're radically understaffed, but that will change. Mwa ha ha ha ha!

[hr]

This world...is made of... LOVE AND PEACE!..LOVE AND PEACE!..LOVE AND PEACE!!
This world...is made of... LOVE AND PEACE!..LOVE AND PEACE!..LOVE AND PEACE!!
Fedoraccoon

Watergate?

Postby Craicman on Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:55 pm

After just receiving information that for the second time in as many rounds alex stone has performed a kill within the confines of the hall of andrew melville using a water gun and firing said water projectiles.

Per the rules water guns are not permitted within all academic buildings and residences. Water pistols kills are bang kills only and I move that wessex is placed on the incompetence or wanted list as this is clearly repeat offending for something that he has been warned about before.

[hr]

~~DarkDepth~~
Craicman

Re:

Postby Frank on Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:01 pm

Incompetence would indeed be deserving in this instance. I've heard (largely confirmed) reports that there was a similar incident earlier in Physics.

Of crucial importance, however, is the removal of the Water-gun ban. Judicious use of water pistols is entirely appropriate (in my humble opinion) inside buildings.

Of course, there will be time when this is innapropriate, and these should be flagged up with immediate incompetence and or 'wantedness', or even outright disqualification (eg launching a water bomb, missing, and destroying a super-computer...)

The main problem is, however, banning water-weapons indoors. Especially considering the miniscule size of Alex's weapon (and his water pistol)

[Sorry, couldn't resist that last one]

And Andrew Melville could probably benefit from folks using waterguns in it...

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Frank

Re:

Postby October on Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:03 pm

Quoting Craicman from 16:55, 19th Feb 2007
After just receiving information that for the second time in as many rounds alex stone has performed a kill within the confines of the hall of andrew melville using a water gun and firing said water projectiles.

Per the rules water guns are not permitted within all academic buildings and residences. Water pistols kills are bang kills only and I move that wessex is placed on the incompetence or wanted list as this is clearly repeat offending for something that he has been warned about before.

[hr]

~~DarkDepth~~

I would agree.
Water guns are only bang kills only.
Last year, Alex did the same thing, and this gave someothers the idea that they could do the same.
Water is not allowed in buildings for a reason, and I think an example should be made, cos if he does it again it shows that either he hasn't read the rules or he's chosen to ignore them,
either way, we can't have a damage being done and stopping future games.

[hr]

I never thought I be so grateful that my best friend from college went on to become the director of the CIA.
Does no-one feel that giving geeks a justification such as Article 31 a bad move? - Frank
October

Re:

Postby Frank on Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:10 pm

I certainly disagree with examples being made of people. Simple and fair application of the rules is all that is required. Break them:> punished.

However, I still feel water is acceptable indoors.

What about knocking over a vase with a shuriken? Clipping someone else whilst clobbering someone with a bat?

Water, fortunately, dries out of carpets and clothes. The only major danger is near electricals or on tiles/slippy floors. Thus, after any kill is made with water, you simply stay and make sure it's been cleared up, then leave. Obviously, the necessity to clean up after yourself applies to talc-bombs, smoke bombs etc etc and is an inherent flaw in the weapon used (as you can't just flee the scene without cleaning up. That'd be irresponsible.

[hr]

Frank

Re:

Postby QuadrAlien on Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:14 pm

(as the deceased in the above incident)

Personally, I don't really mind - I came under attack again 2 minutes after dying, so I think I'm still probably dead.

[hr]

But still at night, when darkness rules again,
Whispering shadows creeping through the lanes,
Evil creatures of the expelled magician,
Oh, it's a fight you'll never win...
Somewhere in chaos we all find ourselves,
This destruction is the only tale we tell,
White is black, black is white,
Right is wrong and wrong is right,
Nothing ever feels this cold inside your heart...
QuadrAlien

Re:

Postby October on Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:21 pm

Quoting Frank from 17:10, 19th Feb 2007

Well, I'm not sure if you are aware,
But many hall assassins have been stopped because of water guns. Not every one will clean up the mess, and what happens when what is thought to be a quick hit and run truns out to be a full blowen water gun fight?

I can tell you now Halls like McIntoch(who have suffered massive damage from water in an assain game in hall not that many years ago), Uni hall, Regs and Sally, would not like water being brought in to hall. And they will take action. I know this cos the RM's have told me so in the past.

So it's better for the saftey of the game to make sure no water is used in side building. Cos the RMs in my hall will bring action if they find anyone "playing" with water guns in hall, sinces it is agenst there rules in hall.

It is also in the rules that water guns are bang kil only indoors.
(Assassin Rules, Part 4 Weapons, Section Guns.
Water-based weapons may only be used for Bang-Kills while indoors

[hr]

October

Re:

Postby Craicman on Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:26 pm

the fact that water does not do much damage or that water guns should not be banned indoors is not the issue here. The simple fact is that wessex has broken a rule that he was warned about before and therefore he should be punished.

Secondly, water gets into electronics it causes fire, water soaks into plaster and cracks it, and water causes actual damage.

[hr]

~~DarkDepth~~
Craicman

Re:

Postby Amorphous on Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:01 pm

The water-indoors rule is a tricky thing as I can easily see both sides of the issue, making it difficult to make a decision and enforce it.

So far as I can see the arguments are thus:

FOR:
- water will not stain carpets/walls and it is highly unlikely someone is going to slip on a carpet
- you are all reasonably intelligent human beings who should know not to fire a water gun at electronics
- it would arguably reduce the number of disputed kills, since it would clearly be a hit or a miss (in Round 2 we had an indoor bang-kill that took place at some distance and was eventually ruled against)
- playing with water guns is more fun than holding one and saying 'bang'

AGAINST:
- Residence Managers and the like will get very angry if they see residents using water guns indoors, risking the game being banned. We could tell you not to do it in front of RMs, but mistakes can easily be made and if it got back to the RMs that we said such a thing then we'd be seen as condoning the behaviour (almost certainly leading to a ban)
- mistakes can be made regarding electronics as well; if your target is standing in front of a lightswitch and moves out the way at the last second then there is a risk. You could argue that the chances of this are small but again, IF it happens, we're facing a ban (at least)
- if a water gun is fired on lino/tiles then there's a slipping danger

It's a tough issue. Even if we were to ban indoor use of water guns and rule that it must be a bang-kill, how do we decide the acceptable distance for a bang-kill? We could come up with some arbitrary distance (e.g. 5 metres) but all that's going to happen is an increase in disputed kills ("I was 6 metres away!") and many people are not good at guessing distances by eye. Also it has the potential to annoy people; someone with a top-range water gun with a quoted distance of 30metres (or something) is going to be a bit narked that according to our rules they can't do more than 5.

It's the sort of situation where any decision is going to make at least one group of people unhappy. Unfortunately, a decision will have to be made: James and I will try and get back to you on it as soon as possible. Like as not you'll get an email about it.
If Jack Bauer was put in a room with Joseph Stalin, Adolf Hitler and Nina Myers and handed a gun with two bullets, he'd shoot Nina twice.
Amorphous

Re:

Postby Amorphous on Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:06 pm

Quoting Craicman from 17:26, 19th Feb 2007
The simple fact is that wessex has broken a rule that he was warned about before and therefore he should be punished.

I'm not being sarcastic when I ask this: Wessex has been warned against water guns in the past? Possibly my memory is acting up, but I don't recall this happening and I've been present on every campus-wide game of Assassins so far. Some individuals were warned in the previous game, but so far as I recall this was concerning their conduct and one incident involving collaboration, not their use of water guns indoors.

It's entirely possible that he was warned about water guns and I've forgotten about it; if this is the case then it would be helpful if you reminded me (by email if you don't want to discuss it on a public board).
Amorphous

Re:

Postby October on Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:14 pm

Using nerf dart guns are a much better weapon than water guns.

They show exctaly that the target has been hit, and they do not leave a mess.
And with a wide range of Nerf and nerf-esk weapons advalabe it should be so hard to get your hands on one.

So why risk water?

Water out doors tho, that's compleatly safe (ish, well we've all done it before.)

It's not that a new rule has to be made,
just the current rules have to be inforced.
The rules Clearly state that Water weaponary can not be used indoors.
And I think that these rules should be a heared to.

[hr]

October

Re:

Postby JAK on Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:28 pm

Quoting October from 17:21, 19th Feb 2007

But many hall assassins have been stopped because of water guns. Not every one will clean up the mess, and what happens when what is thought to be a quick hit and run truns out to be a full blowen water gun fight?

I can tell you now Halls like McIntoch(who have suffered massive damage from water in an assain game in hall not that many years ago), Uni hall, Regs and Sally, would not like water being brought in to hall. And they will take action. I know this cos the RM's have told me so in the past.

So it's better for the saftey of the game to make sure no water is used in side building. Cos the RMs in my hall will bring action if they find anyone "playing" with water guns in hall, sinces it is agenst there rules in hall.

[hr]

Yeah, I've got to say that, as treasurer for melville, who thus has to write the cheques for unattributed damages, I did get Frank to mention this to him last time it happened.

All the same, it's a bit harsh to mention him by name on here.

[hr]

I got my BBC
I got my BBC
JAK

Re:

Postby JAK on Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:28 pm

Quoting October from 17:21, 19th Feb 2007

[hr]

Yeah, I've got to say that, as treasurer for melville, who thus has to write the cheques for unattributed damages, I did get Frank to mention this to him last time it happened.

All the same, it's a bit harsh to mention him by name on here.

[hr]

I got my BBC
I got my BBC
JAK

Re:

Postby October on Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:36 pm

On an unrealated topic...
Can we get the dead list Please.^-^

it would be nice to know who is not a valid target now.

[hr]

October

Re:

Postby Bullet_MaGnEt on Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:41 pm

Just thought id chip in my thoughts here even though I decided to give this round a miss. I know it can be difficult to maintain rule consistancy what with each game often having different umpires, organisers etc. However last game Frank did manage to hit me with a water pistol in my flat and when he realised he did so contrary to the rules imediately invalidated the kill. So the rule has been enforced before and hadnt been changed before the game started. Lets face it you can have the best intentions in the world to avoid civilians, electrical outlets, computers, books etc but things dont allways go as you planned so maybe we njust have to forgo using water weapons indoors. Besides if you cant get close enough to your victem to preform an undisputable bang kill by poking your gun in their kidneys what kind of an assassin are you?

On a related note just wanted to mention Vulgar Napes kill. It might just be an embellishment to the storey but If they did use the university crest on the package doesnt that count as impersonating uni officials etc and again is contrary to the rules?

J
Bullet_MaGnEt

Re:

Postby Bullet_MaGnEt on Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:41 pm

Just thought id chip in my thoughts here even though I decided to give this round a miss. I know it can be difficult to maintain rule consistancy what with each game often having different umpires, organisers etc. However last game Frank did manage to hit me with a water pistol in my flat and when he realised he did so contrary to the rules imediately invalidated the kill. So the rule has been enforced before and hadnt been changed before the game started. Lets face it you can have the best intentions in the world to avoid civilians, electrical outlets, computers, books etc but things dont allways go as you planned so maybe we njust have to forgo using water weapons indoors. Besides if you cant get close enough to your victem to preform an undisputable bang kill by poking your gun in their kidneys what kind of an assassin are you?

On a related note just wanted to mention Vulgar Napes kill. It might just be an embellishment to the storey but If they did use the university crest on the package doesnt that count as impersonating uni officials etc and again is contrary to the rules?

J
Bullet_MaGnEt

Re:

Postby Amorphous on Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:55 pm

The university crest issue was raised at the time but we determined that it didn't count as impersonation because the university crest by itself should not carry authority - had the letter also had a return address to Student Accommodation Services or suchlike then it would have been a different matter. Anyone can stick a crest on an envelope. It was a tough decision, though, and again one in which I can easily see both sides.

Been a bit of a rough start, really, which is a bit disheartening - I was hoping at least the first day would go by fairly smoothly!

As for the list of the dead: we WILL be re-distributing targets in this round, as soon as we've managed to ascertain who is actually dead (indoor water etc.) and as soon as James gets back and stops buying New Hall Ball tickets. :P
Amorphous

Next

Return to Assassins06