Home

TheSinner.net

Serious question

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Serious question

Postby 777 on Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:40 pm

How close have you ever come to seriously wanting an end to everything?

[hr]

You're not pinning it on me - I didn't did it!
I thought I saw your name on a loaf of bread today but when I looked again it said 'Thick Cut'

Re:

Postby orudge on Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:58 pm

I can't say I've ever come close to even thinking that. Sure, life has its tough moments, but there's always something worth living for.

[hr]

http://www.owenrudge.net/
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37103734
orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby Euro on Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:31 pm

Never, everything is amazing. People don't realise that if you are getting really down about something you can just walk away. Nothing is real apart from the world around you. Everything else is man made and you don't need it. Go walk into the woods or something and jump about and enjoy life instead of fretting about all sorts of issues that don't matter at the end of the day. Too many people commit suicide over issues they perceive as being the most important thing ever when in reality they aren't.
Euro

Re:

Postby fluffy on Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:34 pm

Call Nightline, or email them if talking is too much for you.

[hr]

dev ksereis, alla eimai trella erotebmevei mazi sou..
dev ksereis, alla eimai trella erotebmevei mazi sou..
fluffy

Re:

Postby KateBush on Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:45 pm

I know many people who have felt like you do. Give Student Support a call. They're very good. People care; you matter- don't feel that an 'end' is what you'd get- think of all the suffering other people would experience without you here.

[hr]

Intelligence can leap the hurdles which nature has set before us- Livy
Intelligence can leap the hurdles which nature has set before us- Livy
KateBush

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:40 pm

Quoting Euro from 19:31, 26th Feb 2008
Go walk into the woods or something and jump about

just make sure you aren't near a cliff...

[hr]

[s]Warning : The sinner is a plateau, with moral high ground manifesting itself as an optical illusion in the the bearers mind.[/s]
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Gealle on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:53 pm

This is actually a situation I think people should be less concerned about being open about.

Everyone will face a really dark point in their life at some stage. Yes, we'll all have it diffrent to each other, and one person's darkest moment may not appear as bad as someone else's. But the focus is very much rooted in "Where am I" and "What situation am I facing?"

Suicides are not always the 'selfish' lot who ignore the suffering others will go through if they go. They may not think others will suffer, simply through actions/perceived actions of their own. They may simply blank out the possibility of someone missing them, through depression.

To answer the question... I've not come close in the sense I've actually done anything. But I've contemplated what it would do. And every time, I've realised it wouldn't let me resolve issues, it wouldn't let me gain closure. It would simply end my ability to learn, to grow, to develop, and to face the challenges ahead of me.

For that, I am very lucky. But maybe one day I, like many others, may lose that internal fight to keep going, to want to persevere.

I guess the short answer is: I've come close in contemplation, but never in action.

[hr]

So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

"I make sure the shit stays off the fan."
So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

"I make sure the shit stays off the fan."
Gealle

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:58 pm

I think about death a lot, but i don't really think about killing myself. Its more a question of, "whats the point in being alive?", than "I hate myself and want to die!". As far as i see we're just plodding along throujgh time with no real special goal, so why bother?

[hr]

[s]Warning : The sinner is a plateau, with moral high ground manifesting itself as an optical illusion in the the bearers mind.[/s]
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Euro on Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:12 pm

Quoting munchingfoo from 21:58, 26th Feb 2008
I think about death a lot, but i don't really think about killing myself. Its more a question of, "whats the point in being alive?", than "I hate myself and want to die!". As far as i see we're just plodding along throujgh time with no real special goal, so why bother?

[hr]

Because it's fun? Even if at the end of the day and you zoom out and look at a timeline and each person is just some insignificant dot, you still have a mind of your own and can still enjoy it while it lasts. There are all sorts of things you can do, life is great.
Euro

Re:

Postby LonelyPilgrim on Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:39 pm

A) The original poster didn't actually say that they themselves were contemplating suicide, so... why jump to conclusions, people?

B) I've thought about it quite a lot, for years. For the most part my considering of it has had less to do with depression than with a potent mix of boredom and curiosity. Still, only consideration, not action. Ultimately, I think it's best to remember that life is interesting, that there are always things to learn and do and experience, and even bad experiences are quite fascinating if you can mentally remove yourself from the situation for a moment. Besides, life is short enough in the grand scheme of things... even if you live to be 110 you'll still die soon enough.

[hr]

Self-control is the chief element of self-respect; self-respect is the chief element of courage. - Thucydides
Man is free; yet we must not suppose that he is at liberty to do everything he pleases, for he becomes a slave the moment he allows his actions to be ruled by passion. --Giacomo Casanova
LonelyPilgrim

Re:

Postby careba2010 on Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:06 am

About four years ago during the Easter Holidays I was going to York on the train to meet with my English Teacher and some school friends for a GCSE english revision session. As I was waiting for the train a lady jumped off the Northbound platform (I was on the Southbound directly opposite) under a Goods train. All I can remember is screaming and having to see the chopped up bits of body right in front of me after the train had gone through it was one hell of a shock.
Now I didnt know the lady who jumped, but I still cant wait on the Northbound Platform of Northallerton station by myself... if I have to wait by myself I stand in the Subway till my train arrives. This poses an issue because I have to get the train North whenever I come back to St Andrews meaning that I have to relive it. I was so shaken up after witnessing what happened that for about a year afterwards I would not go on a train anywhere. I know it sounds pathetic but the events of that Sunny April day will always be with me and I can only imagine that it must be 10 times worse for the people that knew and cared for the lady then those of us on the platform

Two years after this I saw a friend loose her fight with cancer age 16 and she made me see how precious life is and how we should not loose a moment to negativity. Every time I am down I think about the second of these two events and it makes me greatful for every day I am alive and thus I am a great believer in CARPE DIEM.
careba2010

Re:

Postby Euro on Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:18 am

Quoting LonelyPilgrim from 22:39, 26th Feb 2008
A) The original poster didn't actually say that they themselves were contemplating suicide, so... why jump to conclusions, people?

Wanting an end to everything includes wanting an end to life. And wanting an end to life is something we should be serious towards and make sure this person is ok. It's 100% irrelevant if the poster used the word suicide or not.
Euro

Re:

Postby Tlomiew on Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:47 am

I realise this somewhat ignores the tone of the other posts here, and I apologize if this seems insensitive, but I am honestly unsure.An end to everything in the sense of personal death or the complete and utter cessation of all that is? It strikes me that posters may be simply jumping on the suicide bandwagon rather that considering the meaning of the actual question.

[hr]

In this world there is a pie
A pie where topics go to die
And when they die they leave this place
The twisted world of the human race
Tlomiew

Re:

Postby Euro on Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:42 am

Quoting Tlomiew from 00:47, 27th Feb 2008
I realise this somewhat ignores the tone of the other posts here, and I apologize if this seems insensitive, but I am honestly unsure.An end to everything in the sense of personal death or the complete and utter cessation of all that is? It strikes me that posters may be simply jumping on the suicide bandwagon rather that considering the meaning of the actual question.

[hr]

Of course it could be the end of everything as in the end of all the university bullshit and jobs and applications and all of that which can become stressful. But when someone says the end of "everything" there is no bandwagon you can jump on. You should assume they are serious about literally everything and just make sure that they are alright.
Euro

Re:

Postby Tlomiew on Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:03 am

Fair enough, better to counter a potential problem than spend time debating whether the problem exists atall. (Side point:To clarify my previous post, I was referring to the literal end of the universe, inferring from previous posts)

[hr]

Tlomiew

Re:

Postby LonelyPilgrim on Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:47 am

Quoting Euro from 00:18, 27th Feb 2008
Quoting LonelyPilgrim from 22:39, 26th Feb 2008

Wanting an end to everything includes wanting an end to life. And wanting an end to life is something we should be serious towards and make sure this person is ok. It's 100% irrelevant if the poster used the word suicide or not.

You miss my point. The original question was not obviously self-referencial to the poster. You seem to have assumed that he or she was asking for our opinions in order to decide what to do with themselves, when there is in fact absolutely no reason to believe that. That was the point I was trying to make. I would rather answer the question as it has been posed, than make baseless assumptions about the 'real' meaning behind the words. It seems more... respectful.

[hr]

Self-control is the chief element of self-respect; self-respect is the chief element of courage. - Thucydides
Man is free; yet we must not suppose that he is at liberty to do everything he pleases, for he becomes a slave the moment he allows his actions to be ruled by passion. --Giacomo Casanova
LonelyPilgrim

Re:

Postby Frank on Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:40 am

Quoting 777 from 18:40, 26th Feb 2008
How close have you ever come to seriously wanting an end to everything?

To be honest? Quite close. I don't know how close it is in absolute terms, obviously, but I've often been a long way away from being a happy, cheery, all-singing, all dancing less-than-21-years-old person I ought to have been.

Someone earlier in the thread made an excellent point: The figurative one can always turn away. Well, one potentially can, but whether one can convince oneself of that is quite different.

The possibility is there. Just get up, pack a bag, grab (or blag) some cash and just hop on a bus/train somewhere. It doesn't even need to be too far away, just somewhere.

Similarly, job's boring, life's getting you down? A new one isn't really that far away. Things can be almost impossible at one moment, yet only a tiny little distance away the solution to problems can present themselves.

There's alot to be said for running away. It's not always cowardice! (I.e. the intention of returning when you have a solution...)

Anyhow.

Yes, I've been massively different from myself and I've seriously just wanted to end everything. But there's little glimmers that pulled me back into...equilibrium. Be it something in the near future I was looking forward to hobby-wise, or whether I simply had to focus on a bit of work that needed to be done. (Tidy a room!) There was usually something there to stabilise me. I sometimes wonder what it'd have taken to make me look around me and see nothing that flickered in the darkness.

It's a bizarre old world, but I've never yet picked up the knife/rope/pills or took a watch to the edge/top and just stayed there waiting for inspiration not to. I've never been that close.

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Also, some years later:
"here we are arguing about a few uppity troublemakers with a bee in their bonnet and a conspiracy theory."
Frank

Re:

Postby Grant on Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:04 pm

I've thought about it, but mostly through curiosity - what would death feel like? etc. I don't think I could ever end it personally, as I hate defeat.

I also think i'm lucky in that I have certain interests that can enhance my mood. There's a reason why i practically obsess about guitar; It keeps me happy. Sitting down and feeling creative, feeling capable of something is a great feeling, and it helped no end in my younger teen years. It's why I like painting as well.
Grant

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:11 pm

Yeah - Halo 3 brought me back form the brink. There's nothing like pwning n00bs to liven your day.

[hr]

munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Humphrey on Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:36 pm

You could crush my testicles, rip off my legs and make me eat excrement for a week and I would still think that life is an amazing and wonderful thing. And why?...because I have just found out this exists!.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06211/709125-37.stm

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/COBEUcastle.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishop_Castle

Mr. Bishop said his son is working on an improvement for the dragon's fire-breathing apparatus, which currently throws fire six feet. The latest contraption, utilizing a new valve, could shoot fire as much as 30 feet.

"Like you see at a monster truck show," Mr. Bishop said. "I've just got to make sure we don't set fire to any trees."
Humphrey

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board