Home

TheSinner.net

So which IS the best.... ?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

So which IS the best.... ?

Postby Administrator on Thu May 29, 2003 11:27 am

First years - you've spent nearly a year here. Have you enjoyed your time in St Andrews? Perhaps you'd like to offer your opinion on your hall or the modules that you took for your course.

The Sinner is already attracting people who are going to come to St Andrews in September, so what better way to help them than to contribute to the Sinner's Guide to St Andrews?

Write an article about your hall, your course, your favourite pub/bar/restaurant.

You could even write about the things that there are to do in St Andrews when you're not working or drinking.

Perhaps you could offer advice for overseas students on what they might need to bring in September, or what they can afford to leave behind.

How much different is life in St Andrews from life in your home town?

All these questions (and more) need answers, and the more people who can contribute to the answers, the more rounded opinion we can give of life in St Andrews.

You make the Sinner's Guide what it is. Go on - make it better
Administrator

Re:

Postby Wong on Thu May 29, 2003 11:29 am

I suppose I could write one about AMH...

[hr]Cause I'm a Watcher - the Watcher in the Sky
My soul has drowned in the tears I cannot cry
No tree has branches so foolish as to fight among themselves
Wong

Re:

Postby Administrator on Thu May 29, 2003 12:35 pm

That would be great, Mr Wong. Thanks! Could you email it (plain text) to oli@thesinner.co.uk please? Cheers.
Administrator

Re:

Postby Ashley on Thu May 29, 2003 1:11 pm

Oli, Regs still hasn't somehow got one I believe. I had started writing it once so now I'm done I think it's time to finish it.

[hr]Nobody ever mentions the weather can make or break your day
[i:1zn3ute4]Nobody ever mentions the weather can make or break your day[/i:1zn3ute4]
Ashley

Re:

Postby Blessed Benediction on Thu May 29, 2003 1:22 pm

i could post one if i put my mind to it. what kind of time scale are we looking at? most of the summer? after all the John Burnet Hall that i've spent my 1st year in has continued to nurture it's reputation this year & has certainly had a bearing on this here website.

[hr]watches should have a smiley face on them as it's always time to be happy
Blessed Benediction

Re:

Postby Administrator on Thu May 29, 2003 5:21 pm

Ashley and Benedict - thanks for offering.
Timescale? Flexible, but soonish please!
Administrator

Re:

Postby Blessed Benediction on Thu May 29, 2003 6:25 pm

oh well. who knows maybe i'll be able to concoct something but it looks unlikely at this stage. don't expect anything from myself as much as i'd like to i don't trust my creative at this point.

i won't really attempt to mention much about my hall though if i do. i'm only really a spokesperson for myself & i even manage to get that wrong half the time.

good luck Ashley & anyone else whose going to add a view or two.

[hr]watches should have a smiley face on them as it's always time to be happy
Blessed Benediction

Re:

Postby Miss Maryland on Thu May 29, 2003 10:14 pm

Oli-
the name "administrator" stirs up impressions of power and wrath, and the image of an account of a robot or computer. it probably has to do with the heavy blow i recieved on the side of my head the other day, because now i am envisioning a very tall man with a german accent and a hand gun.

anybody else feel the belittling power of oli's new name? or do you think i need to get a cat scan?
Miss Maryland

Re:

Postby Administrator on Thu May 29, 2003 10:16 pm

Perhaps "admin" would be better?
Administrator

Re:

Postby Amanda on Thu May 29, 2003 10:55 pm

or Oli?

[hr][s]"don't frown...you never know who might be falling in love with your smile..."[/s]
[s]"don't frown...you never know who might be falling in love with your smile..."[/s]
Amanda

Re:

Postby niall on Thu May 29, 2003 10:58 pm

[s]Unregisted User Miss Maryland wrote on 17:47, 29th May 2003:anybody else feel the belittling power of oli's new name? or do you think i need to get a cat scan?

administrator has been in place since james started the site (well, at least james used it a few times!) but yeh, i do agree that admin sounds much nicer!

[hr]
do you have a tastyspoon?

http://www.tastyspoon.com/forum
niall

Re:

Postby Al on Thu May 29, 2003 11:06 pm

I vote for "overlooker"!

[hr]Rompiendo la monotonia del tiempo
Al

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Fri May 30, 2003 1:09 am

What about The Supreme Dark Overlord?
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Manson on Fri May 30, 2003 2:59 am

Can I write an article about the Real Ale Society?

Pleeeease....?

[hr]"Brunelleschi is magic"
http://www.st-and.ac.uk/~sauras
Manson

Re:

Postby Miss Maryland on Fri May 30, 2003 10:08 am

[s]Al wrote on 00:06, 30th May 2003:
I vote for "overlooker"!

overlooker sounds too much like "The Watcher"- you know, the giant alien guy in Fantastic Four with a vice on his head who 'watched' earthlings.
Miss Maryland

Re:

Postby Administrator on Fri May 30, 2003 10:15 am

Of course you can! Any articles should be emailed (plain text) to oli@ thesinner.co.uk

Cheers!
Administrator

Re:

Postby Ashley on Fri May 30, 2003 10:46 am

[s]Administrator wrote on 18:21, 29th May 2003:
Ashley and Benedict - thanks for offering.
Timescale? Flexible, but soonish please!

Oli, I shall finish it as soon as I can type properly again.. (Ice-skating, enough said)

[hr]
Nobody ever mentions the weather can make or break your day
[i:1zn3ute4]Nobody ever mentions the weather can make or break your day[/i:1zn3ute4]
Ashley

For Postgrads, too

Postby Deej on Sat May 31, 2003 1:47 pm

Hey Oli, while you're begging up answers from people, can you get somebody who'll talk about postgrad stuff, especially people who have moved kids over there with them? I have so many questions and am having a hard time getting them answered. Thanks!
Deej

Re:

Postby Administrator on Sat May 31, 2003 1:49 pm

Good point Deej -

If any current postgrads could spare a few minutes to compile a list of useful hints and tips for those coming to St Andrews in the future, that would be most appreciated.

It doesn't have to include EVERYTHING all at once - you can add to it as and when you remember more stuff, but anything would be helpful.
Administrator

Re:

Postby Admin on Sat May 31, 2003 4:46 pm

Thanks to Manson for the Real Ale Society article - I'll get that online ASAP.

And what do you think of the new username? More friendly? Less "overlord-y"?

Keep the articles coming - It may be summer, but that doesn't mean you should let your writing skills slip...
Admin

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board