Home

TheSinner.net

Formal Dress Forum

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:24 pm

Song, ladies?

[hr]Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Phoebe Stoves on Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:17 pm

Laura, do not sing the song! Please! It would embarrass me greatly! And you for that matter, being the co-writer of it!

Eliot, do not encourage her. She will sing it if you persist and we will all suffer for it, not implying that her singing voice is bad, but the content of the sing should not, must not be heard by anyone within the society!!

Laura, don't!! Any of them!
Phoebe Stoves

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:36 pm

You only serve to intrigue me more, Miss Stoves.

So I think we must open it up to the public vote, don't you?

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Laura on Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:46 pm

Well, Mr. Wilson, it goes something like this-; ahem (clearing of throat)............
"When I came back to Dublin, I was courtmartialled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence."
Laura

Re:

Postby Phoebe Stoves on Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:48 pm

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!
Phoebe Stoves

Re:

Postby Donald Renouf on Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:53 pm

I daresay it will get sung at the Parliamentary Dinner, anyway.

Anyway, back to the topic in hand: striped shirts with cords?
Donald Renouf

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:15 pm

I should say that it depends upon what one wears with the shirt and cords. If it's a blazer - and some people do insist on wearing a blazer and cords - then I suppose there may be an argument for its acceptability, but, in general, I would say no.

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:53 pm

Totally heavy death robes and a stupid mace?

[hr]"They are like their beer; foam on top, dregs on the bottom, but the middle excellent." - Voltaire on the English.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Phoebe Stoves on Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:53 pm

[s]Donald Renouf wrote on 17:53, 1st Dec 2003:
I daresay it will get sung at the Parliamentary Dinner, anyway.

have you now got the funds to come, Mr. Renouf? you really should- much, much fun.

Oh, and incidently, i like a striped shirt with cords on a man.
Phoebe Stoves

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dee on Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:39 pm

This thread is getting to me; on Friday, I saw a Graduand on North Street wearing scarlet gown; a trifle pedantic, perhaps?
I should so like to hear the song, and its references to these fine gentlemen. I presume any verse about my humble self will have been scrubbed, since the rumours are patently incorrect.
I am not J.W.R.Potton (except for being him, obviously), and have never engaged in any homo-erotic fantasies about Messrs. Renouf or Blair, not solely because I am not inclined in such a fashion, but because one simply shouldn't.
I do know however of a certain Board member who couldn't take her eyes off Peter, or rather (rude thought considered unsuitable for such estimable company, involving one of Peter's eyes at least). I trust she will get over it one day, and she will stop looking at him like he's the guy off the porage ad'.
"If it can't be cured with either bacon fat or vinegar, it's not worth curing"
Tweedle-Dee

Peter's cock...outside!

Postby Jason on Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:49 pm

In mittigation to the young lady in question she was only one of about 100 people who were subjected to that particular sight. For the sake of my dinner I, thankfully, never viewed the offending article but I feel this deserves nothing less than a full and public apology on behalf of the offending member.
Jason

Re:

Postby Phoebe Stoves on Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:17 am

[s]Tweedle-Dee wrote on 23:39, 1st Dec 2003:
I should so like to hear the song.

Potton, i'm sure you will hear it eventually, we do seem to spend enough time together afterall. I'm sure i will be intoxicated enough to sing it to you at some point.
Phoebe Stoves

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dee on Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:47 am

Miss Stoves, that sounds like a challenge.
Correct me if I am wrong, but is there not a thread elsewhere disussing academic dress or was that merely a fantasy? I recall trenchards, hoods and an argument, possibly between Mr. Wilson and Mr. Wilson, over the hue of blue on the Doctoral gown. I cannot seem to find it on The Sinner anywhere, whish is a shame. I do recall also a comment about cross-stitching, so perhaps I should keep away from fumes in future.
Tweedle-Dee

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dee on Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:12 pm

Given that today is such a special day, being, as if one could forget, the birthday of our beloved Principal, ought we to dress up in his honour? Could some-one lend me a pair of slip-ons?
Also, given that he is, according to The Times, now in his 59th year, does that mean his smiling presence will soon no longer be with us? That would pain me greatly.

Happy Birthday, Brian.
Tweedle-Dee

Re:

Postby Laura on Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:43 pm

[s]Tweedle-Dee wrote on 11:47, 2nd Dec 2003:
I recall trenchards, hoods and an argument, possibly between Mr. Wilson and Mr. Wilson, over the hue of blue on the Doctoral gown.

Has the Father of The House started talking to himself? (I wouldn't blame him)
I suspect you're refering to the discussion between Messrs. Wilson and Joss that takes place in the comments section of the Sinner's guide to gowns, Mr. Potton.
I would advise you not to read it, after all it would only bring back memories of when you had a gown, and due to the onset of essay deadline, I shall not be able to nurse you out of the black hole that reappears whenever you remember the happy days you and said scarlet spent together.
"When I came back to Dublin, I was courtmartialled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence."
Laura

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:56 pm

[s]Tweedle-Dee wrote on 12:12, 2nd Dec 2003:
Also, given that he is, according to The Times, now in his 59th year, does that mean his smiling presence will soon no longer be with us? That would pain me greatly.

Happy Birthday, Brian.

I believe that Il Principe's contract will expire in January 2007, so he'll be with us a while yet.

[hr]

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:22 pm

For behold, I bring you glad tidings that shall be of gowns...

http://www.thesinner.co.uk/article-view.php?article=165

[hr]"They are like their beer; foam on top, dregs on the bottom, but the middle excellent." - Voltaire on the English.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:21 pm

Indeed. A splendid learning forum.

Eliot Wilson

With Gratitude

Postby RJ Covino on Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:35 pm

Thank you to whomever posted the link to the Academical Dress (hence AD) chat in another discussion zone on the site. Most interesting, though much of it could have been resolved by a simple consultation of Dr Shaw's AD work, or even *shudder* Franklyn's.

It may interest some to know that I am one of two preparing a Burgon Society Fellowship Presentation on St Andrews' AD. Mine is to cover the development of graduate AD. The other work in preparation, perhaps abandoned, is thought to be one on undergraduate dress, by a chap called Scott Styles, of whom I know nothing.
RJ Covino

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:56 pm

I trust, Mr. Covino, that you will keep the readers of this forum up to date on your progression towards those magic letters after your name, 'FBS'.

Eliot Wilson

PreviousNext

Return to Union Debating Society