Home

TheSinner.net

Help for eating disorders

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Help for eating disorders

Postby Guest on Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:01 am

This is still a bit embarassing for me, but I've been struggling with eating disorders for some time now. In first semester my bulimia was manageable enough that I could carry on something resembling a "normal" life, but now with classes starting up, things are getting out of control again.

I have tried SSS, and the counsellor I saw was very sympathetic but wasn't really much help. I know also that there's a really long waiting list to see a professional.

Any advice?

Re:

Postby johness on Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:36 am

Try your G.P. i went to try and stop smoking and she was mega helpful. I'm sure your G.P. can refer you to a help group, if the thought of that makes you uncomfortable there will be other solutions. Don't worry, its a positive step you realise you need help and that has to be admired. Best of luck.

[hr][s] ...but I will bend the light, always pretending that it somehow lingered on...[/s]
[s]As I walk away, I look over my shoulder to see what I'm leaving behind. Pieces of puzzles and wishes on eyelashes failed...[/s]
johness

Re:

Postby Jubilee on Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:59 pm

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/sss/advice_ ... ps.htm#edn

This is the student support list of help groups. Maybe talking your problems over with a group would help? There is an eating disorders help group that meet once a week. Good luck.
Jubilee

Re:

Postby Maidmarion on Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:15 pm

there's an eating disoprders support group on wednesday at five in mansfield.
it might help.

Also see a doctor/ maybe you'll get reffered to a copunsellor or something.

in student support their pretty good at giving advice.
Maidmarion

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:14 pm

I went to my GP after struggling with bulimia on and off for several years. He was very helpful and ran through all the options for me. I ended up taking a course of anti-depressants and seeing a counceller at the SSS. I agree while the counceller was sympathetic, it really didn't help me much. But the medication worked wonders and I have not had bulimia for a half a year now. Obviously anti-depressants aren't for everybody. Many people don't like the idea, but I found it extrememly beneficial. But I would certainly recommend seeing your GP as a start.

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:08 pm

[s]Unregisted User wrote on 14:29, 9th Feb 2005:
...But I would certainly recommend seeing your GP as a start.

Which GP did you see? I really want to get help but am worried about seeing an unsympathetic doctor, what was his name?

Re:

Postby moomin on Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:52 pm

hey,
don't fret too much about it. I was - i guess still am - bulimic but swapped to bulimirexia and have been plodding along with that for a few years now. I know I haven't stopped but it's a lot less frequent now. Maybe it would help to keep some kind of a diary for when you feel like you wanna binge and purge write down exactly how you are feeling. I'm still a bit too scared for this; prob cuz I don't really feel ready to 'get better' as they say but I know it's something that can help some people - maybe it will work for you. That way when you have the 'symtoms' as it were of needing to purge maybe you could do something else instead; kind of prepare yourself to tackle the 'problem'. I hope this helps and wish you all the best.
xox
moomin

Re:

Postby Guest on Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:58 pm

I can't remember which GP I saw originally. All I can remember is that he was quite young compared to the other doctors I've seen there. The other doctor I've seen since in follow ups is Dr. Wills. I like him. He seems quite sympathetic. I have a small theory that male doctors are more sympathetic, at least with female patients. The women doctors tend to tell you to stop making a fuss. But that's just my experience.

Hang in there.

Postby Rufus on Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:16 pm

Whatever you do, don't just leave this to snowball. I've had to take this year out because I was initially anorexic and am now (as a consequence of binge-eating) almost bulimic. This, thankfully, has only been going on for less than a year, but even in this small time it has completely overshadowed and impeded my life. Eventually, things got so bad that I had to wake up and realise what was wrong- I went to talk to my doctor (who was female and very understanding) and I made sure I read up on loads of anorexia and bulimia literature. It's all out there and is a great help just to see that people have gone through the exact same thing and come out the other end. By reading about your disorder, you can understand it and attempt to conquer it. I would recommend that if you really don't want to see a GP about it, read about it. Don't let it get worse. However, there is nothing more lonely than having an eating disorder so talking to someone who knows what there talking about can be extremely beneficial.
An eating disorder is nothing to be ashamed of. There is a way forward but for that you need help. Please don't take all this upon yourself, there are people out there ready to listen.

All the best and I hope it works out for you.
Rufus

Re:

Postby Guest on Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:08 pm

your not alone, hang in there. i know exactly what you mean. I have gone from being anorexic to now having a really big problem with binge eating. A few weeks into my medication I started having a serious problem binging and now i am starting to pile the weight on its maing me more depressed and consequently i seem to be eating more and more. Its digustingly uncontrolable

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:17 pm

Sorry, I can't help I don't know anything about this.

[hr]I have made my site work again, so feel free to have a look.

My website:
http://n.domaindlx.com/AndyGrayland/
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Return to Advice Please!